Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lteddygrahamsl

Western CVM 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious as to what type of laptop everyone will be getting/using for vet school. Any recommendations? THanks~!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i know western has specifications. i have a toshiba something or other, and it does most everything, at least part of the time.

Agree with twosoakers, double check with the school first. Kansas gives you a laptop as part of tuition, I think Iowa is doing the same thing this year. I'm going to WI (no 'free' laptop there) and I just bought a MacBook to replace my fried iBook. (I'm partial to Apple :love: ) Anyways, one cool thing about Apple computers is that you can buy the Windows OS and run either the Mac OS or Windows.

Members don't see this ad :)
At UTK 5 or 7 people can win a tablet PC. (One of those cool ones you can write on.) I'll probably put my name in that drawing. Like wivet2011, I am partial to Macs. Right now I am using my iBook circa 2005. I HATE windows, but I'm not sure if how compatible my Mac will be at UTK. No money for a new computer this summer, though.

UIUC is big on pushing the tablet PCs. Like over 60 or 70% of them use them. I bought a Lenovo X60 Tablet since it was one of the top rated ones. It's really cool but, unfortunately, expensive. Writing on it is a lot easier and more productive than I thought.

purdue gives you a microscope for two years. a sweet one at that. and then they open the vet classes to non-vet students, and don't give you a microscope. so you have to scramble and beg. or go to toys-r-us and get yourself a plastic job that lets you look at fly wings and elodea.

HA! I have that microscope! Does that mean I can't use it at MN? :laugh:

As for the laptop, some schools, especially IL do seem to push the tablet, but I would advise trying to test one out first. I am one of those types who buys the "must have" technology, and then never figures out how to use it! As cool as they are, if it isn't something that will work for you, I wouldn't spend the extra cash! It seems like one of the most important things is getting a computer than can access the wireless at your individual school without issues. My gateway's wireless sucks. I can't use it anywhere. (then again, maybe I'm just not as smart as my computer)

On another note, I was toying with the idea of making the leap from PC to mac. Does anyone know if this is a tough transition?

It is def. not hard to go from PC to mac. IMO macs are way easier to use even for newbies! (I use PCs at work and school and they drive me crazy!) If you plan on using it mainly for note taking and are more comfortable with Microsoft Office (word, PP, etc), you can get it for macs and it works just the same as on PCs. Be sure to see if you can get an education discount if you decide to buy a mac (will save you ~$100 depending on which laptop you pick, plus you get discounts on software) Oh, and right now, you can get a free printer with any laptop purchase. Any little bit we can save, right!!

I transferred from PC to Mac in '04 with no issues. Most programs are available for both--and for some the same CD works for both! It was the best decision I ever made (technology-wise!) ;)

Good topic question! :thumbup:

Haha I like! One day, I will make enough money to get toys like that for my future kitty!

MAC MAC MAC MAC!!

I switched from PC to Mac because my PC was constantly crashing (it wouldn't let me open "My Documents" without shutting down) and i kept having to buy/reinstall different versions of Windows ($$$). In the meantime, the lab where I worked was all Mac-based and the computers were always working perfectly. I feel like the transition is really easy-- I <3 my '04 ibook every time I open it's cover.

That said-- be careful because some universities are annoying and their tech people don't know how to service Macs (or some blatantly refuse to even see them!!). This can be a problem for Network access, etc. Just make sure to check (but then get a MAC)