large course load....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laugh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My junior year I took both 21 credit hours each semester. All my other years I have taken anywhere from 15-18 hours per semester. Because of the large course loads, will the admissions committee view my GPA with a little bit of leniency? During my 21 credit hour semesters I received a 3.23 GPA and a 3.35 GPA. Because of my large course loads my GPA is only about a 3.3. Anyone have any experience when dealing with adcomms when it comes to large course loads?

Members don't see this ad.

They probably take into account that you had a much more rigorous course schedule than the average individual. Why are you doing this? Are you in a rush to get the degree?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to get done with school a little early. One semester I took Biochem, Microbiology, Microbiology Lab, Physics I and Physics II as well as a few humanities. It was insane. I dont recommend taking this many classes in one semester. Unfortunately I ended up with the following:
Biochem B+
Micro C
Micro Lab C
Physics I A
Physics II A

A 4.0 or close to it with 12-15 semester hours looks better than 16-18 or even 21 semester hours and a 3.2. Show first that you can get a high GPA, then increase your course load. If you finish early with a below average GPA and you don't get into dental school because of it, you might have to take graduate courses to raise it so why rush it? On the other hand if you have a low GPA while taking large course loads and then you get 22+ on the DAT you should be OK.

Thats one of the reasons they have interviews. Grades aren't everything.

although it will look poorly that you did mediocre in a heavy course load of undergraduate classes and you are trying to get into a VERY heavy course load of PROFESSIONAL classes.

The school may wonder how you will handle a dental student load if an undergrad load made you waver.

So my advice, come up with some good reasons why the grades happened. Tell them you are more mature now and have better time management skills. Make sure they realize you are ready for the hard work of dental school.

Laugh, I wouldn't be as hard on yourself as some of the other posters have suggested. Yeah, it would probably have been better to take 15-18 credits and done really well in those classes, but you can't change the past. I don't think you need to explain your grades either. You took a chance. You were gutsy, and maybe it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. If I was an adcom, I would at least be impressed that you attempted to take that many credits. That being said, you should probably concentrate on taking fewer classes and doing really well on them. :D

wats up guys i have some questions plz help me clarifying them. I am from canada and i dont really understand when ppl rite down 15 credit hours or 12 credit hours and stuff. in canada we just go by the number of courses we take, like microbiology, organic chemistry, cell biology, probabalitiy and statistcs, and lastly an elective course such as popular culture. Five courses are considered a full course load not really sure what the credit hours mean and stuff.. i guess thats how they go in the US. anyways in my 2nd year first semester i have taken all the above classes. Since microbiology, organic chem and cell biology all have laboratory parts with them i was wondering if i can drop my elective course which has 3 hours weelkly or my probabality and statistcs course which is 3 hours weekly or cell biology which is 4.5 hours weekly. If i do drop one of them I will be able to probably maintain a A gpa or A- gpa. Now ofcourse i will take that course in the summer. However does dropping a course mean im putting myself on a disadvantage since im not taking the full course load(only 4 courses rather than 5) but at the same time i will be doing ECs and shadowing as well.
microbiology: Lect: 3 hrs./Lab: 3 hrs.
organic chem part 1: Lect: 3 hrs./Lab: 3 hrs
cell biology: Lect: 3 hrs./Lab: 1.5 hrs.

Thank you.

wats up guys i have some questions plz help me clarifying them. I am from canada and i dont really understand when ppl rite down 15 credit hours or 12 credit hours and stuff. in canada we just go by the number of courses we take, like microbiology, organic chemistry, cell biology, probabalitiy and statistcs, and lastly an elective course such as popular culture. Five courses are considered a full course load not really sure what the credit hours mean and stuff..

Usually courses here are 3-4 credits a piece. It depends on the school. My private college gives 4 credits per class, and most students here take 4 classes. So that means we take 16 credits per semester. Most public universities give 3 credits per class, so students take 5 classes (15 credits total per semester). Labs are either included in the class credits, or 1-2 credits.

Hope that helps.

My adviser said it looks like bad judge ment on our part. I took 19 and 2 online 3 credit classes, too.