Laryngoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jawch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a new resident into Anesthesiology, do we need to buy Laryngoscope by ourself, or will the program provide a set?

If we do need to buy ourself, which brand would you recommend, and how much it will cost? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

you'll get a set from your program.

After a year I bought a set of Rusch fiberoptic laryngoscopy stuff. A handle for 60 bucks and a Mac 3 Miller 2 for about 40 bones each.

The lights kept going out at inopportune times on the standard bulb blades and I couldn't handle it anymore.

Heine makes the best direct laryngoscopes in my opinion. Just outta the price range for me.

At both my medical school and residency program (different places), the department has any laryngoscope you could ever want stocked. You don't buy anything and you can get darn near anything in your room (so long as it is clean at the moment) by asking your tech or tracking it down yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be very concerned with programs that make you get your own laryngoscope. That's a sign of poor management.
They might ask you next to get your own anesthesia machine.

errm that's pretty poor - unless you wanted to mount one on the wall or something. The deparment should have them, and clean and sterilise the parts.

you'll get a set from your program.

After a year I bought a set of Rusch fiberoptic laryngoscopy stuff. A handle for 60 bucks and a Mac 3 Miller 2 for about 40 bones each.

The lights kept going out at inopportune times on the standard bulb blades and I couldn't handle it anymore.

Heine makes the best direct laryngoscopes in my opinion. Just outta the price range for me.

Vent .... nice new avatar!

My personal preference is a Phillips 2. Combines the best of Miller and Mac. Most places have one lying around somewhere - try it sometime.

are you doing residency overseas? you don't need a laryngoscope unless you need one to keep at home or in the car (can use it as flashlight in emergencies, expensive one though), my program reimbursed us for stethoscopes. if you bring your own, you run the risk of loosing it/being stolen etc...