Lasik For Pathologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

As a pathologist, or pathologist in training, would you have LASIK?

• YES

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • NO

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

blueintheface

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I'd throw out a topic:

I'm thinking about having LASIK done to correct nearsightedness but I'm worried about complications such as not being able to see everything I should be able to see under a microscope as a pathologist. Does anyone know of pathologists who have gotten LASIK vision correction? What was the outcome? Any long-term problems reading slides afterwards? Any malpractice insurance implications? I would think that pathologist's eyes would be sensitive to even slight complications, but I know that some opthamologists, surgeons, pilots, etc. who also need high acuity vision have had LASIK without complications. Of course, I am going to talk to an opthalmologist about this - I'm not asking for medical advice, but just stories, impressions, opinions. If I do decide to go through with it, I will probably do it before I start residency so that if there is some catastrophic complication that prevents me from looking through a microscope at least I will have time to change my career!:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I have a close friend who had the surgery 3 years ago. She was 20/10 to 20/15 initially. However she has slipped to 20/40 now. She thinks that this is due to the fact she has dry eyes (she needed to wear lacrimal duct plugs, but they kept popping out). Overall she's been happy with the surgery, but anticipates that her vision will continue worsening.

Overall, my vision changed pretty dramatically during my post-soph fellowship. I went from not needing glasses right before medical school to being -2.25 diopter by now.

I know that none of this answers your questions...

My feelings on lasik, is that until it is as common as contacts and the long-term effects are better established, I will not even consider the risk to my vision. At least what I have now is correctable.

Once again, only my opinion.