Last 45 credit GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stang21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When calculating the GPA of the last 45 credits, what if you do if you only take half of a semesters grades. Do you take the best grades? Go in order of the trasnscript?

Members don't see this ad.

you count all the courses in the semester the last 45 hours is in. So if you had taken 20 credits for the last three semesters you would take all three semesters.

im still a bit confused with the previous posts-- can with someone tell me if im doing this wrong?
im going backward order of the courses ive taken -- and that lands me with either the last 42 or 47 quarter credits. I would count all the credits that the last 45 hour ends (that would end me with 55 credits...)

sorry! im so confused!!! any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school was on the quarter system then you will need to convert from quarters to semester hours first.

If your school was on the quarter system then you will need to convert from quarters to semester hours first.

I think they use the last 45 semester hours or 60 quarter hours. Either way, if it's a toss up between 42 and 47 you would go with 47. Most schools I've seen want you to include the whole semester if the hours fall in the middle.

Hi, I have a question along the same line....
My school had quarter system, so I need to use my last 60 units for the GPA calculation, right? That makes it my last 4 quarters in school, totaled to 62 units. However, 4 of these units come from pass/no pass classes, and I am assuming these don't go into the calculation? Does that mean I'll have to go back to my last 5 quarters at school (totaled 76 units)?

Last edited:
I actually think each school does it differently. But I'm not sure they'll care too much if your computed 45 credit hours GPA comes out a little different than when they recalculate it (they always seem to recalculate).

For Wisconsin, I believe they wanted you to handle the quarters/semesters prior to the quarter/semester in which your 45th credit hour fell normally (normal average) and take a weighted average for the quarter/semester in which your 45th credit hour fell.

But if that's still confusing, and the school(s) in question don't provide instructions on how to take your 45 credit hour GPA, I'd either call up each school and ask how they wanted it done or just figure out a way to do it that's logical and use that. Like I said, chances are it won't matter and they'll just recalculate it anyhow.

I've heard so much about your science GPA and your last 45 credit-hour GPA, but I haven't had to compute them at all. I'm applying to 7 schools and have looked over all the supp applications already. I'm starting to worry, did I miss something on the VMCAS???

I've heard so much about your science GPA and your last 45 credit-hour GPA, but I haven't had to compute them at all. I'm applying to 7 schools and have looked over all the supp applications already. I'm starting to worry, did I miss something on the VMCAS???

UPenn has you calculate your total and last 45 hour GPA on their supplemental card. Wisconsin has you calculate your undergraduate, last 30 credit hour and required coursework GPA on their online application.

I guess I do remember doing the 45 hour GPA for UPenn. So I suppose the science GPA is something the schools do themselves? That makes me feel better, although logically I knew I couldn't have missed anything. Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll calculate it myself anyway, something else to help me avoid writing app essays.... :)