Last day: a poll...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-Goose-

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did/should/are you gonna do?

Members don't see this ad.

My last day: short-term memory abuse.

1. BRS pharm card
2. FA images
3. Some micro + immuno stuffs (HLA associations, genes/chromosome, etc)

Last day for me will be mostly cramming pharm, which is by far my worst subject. I will also memorize some of the random factoids throughout FA (HLA, translocations, etc.), make sure I know the common drug reactions pages, and review images. I will be going balls to the wall, but not doing any more questions. My test is next Wed. and I feel horribly unprepared.

slept in a little, watched the Matrix, watched some motivational movie clips (parts of 300 and Matrix Reloaded :D), played a lot of Call of Duty 4, ordered Jimmy Johns...

Members don't see this ad :)
Today's my last day and I AM horribly unprepared.
I'm exhausted too. I guess I'll just have to get this thing over with.
I would do a bunch of stuff COMPLETELY different if I could go back in time 4 weeks, but oh well.

Today's my last day and I AM horribly unprepared.
I'm exhausted too. I guess I'll just have to get this thing over with.
I would do a bunch of stuff COMPLETELY different if I could go back in time 4 weeks, but oh well.

Keep your head up! Don't think about regrets, think about how you have a great shot at doing well tomorrow, and how despite anything you learned a tremendous amount during this time. Good luck!

tomorrow is my last day. i feel like I'm not ready yet at the same time know that any more studying wouldn't help. gonna read goljan blue margins and first aid high yield facts. :scared:

Keep your head up! Don't think about regrets, think about how you have a great shot at doing well tomorrow, and how despite anything you learned a tremendous amount during this time. Good luck!

It makes me pretty nervous when I hear everyone who has been scoring 240+ on their practice exam say how extremely difficult this exam is.... I'm really hoping that I can stay positive in the test tomorrow.... I hate taking exams where I don't know the answers.... just feels really disheartening.
I'm pretty sure I'll pass.... but I can't really make any further claims beyond that.

I'm also afraid that I'll be constantly running out of time on the exam tomorrow. I have problems with that on the USMLE World questions AND on the NBME's I've taken. If the real thing is more difficult - then it'll be a constant struggle.

good luck lilnoelle...don't let the fear get to you. keep you're head on and you'll do awesome! :thumbup:

It makes me pretty nervous when I hear everyone who has been scoring 240+ on their practice exam say how extremely difficult this exam is.... I'm really hoping that I can stay positive in the test tomorrow.... I hate taking exams where I don't know the answers.... just feels really disheartening.
I'm pretty sure I'll pass.... but I can't really make any further claims beyond that.

I'm also afraid that I'll be constantly running out of time on the exam tomorrow. I have problems with that on the USMLE World questions AND on the NBME's I've taken. If the real thing is more difficult - then it'll be a constant struggle.

You are not alone I'll be right there with you tomorrow and I have the same fears and timing problems (I'm a pathetically slow reader). We'll get it done though and I bet we'll do better than we think too.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm gonna do tomorrow, but I know that I will absolutely call it quits at 5 pm... I think.... Maybe. Yes.

I followed my normal routine in the morning - got up early (same time as planned on exam day), did a block of UW questions, then reviewed a few last things. At noon I called it quits and relaxed the rest of the day. Actually, I think I cleaned the house and picked my husband up from the airport (great timing, huh?), but it was great to *do* something to take my mind off things. I highly recommend exercise or something that will keep your mind engaged rather than just vegging since it's too easy to worry when you're just sitting around watching TV. Whatever you do, give yourself a good hour before bed to wind down. You're going to be a bit hyped up, and you need all the sleep you can get.

The exam is tough, but it is doable. This is meant to be a somewhat humbling experience, but you have to be confident in your abilities. :luck:

Today I am doing Goljians HY notes, reviewing the list of random stuff I made, and looking over a few crammable things (translocations, HLA, drugs) in FA. I am quitting this evening around 5.

Don't worry lilnoelle- you will be great. Everyone says it is hard regardless of score and probably the people who do really well are just really hard on themselves. We are going to be free soon!

I'm sure it's too late for you to see this now, but hopefully others that feel similar to the above will read it. I still haven't taken it (few more days), but you absolutely cannot let what you read on here affect your confidence. You have to take everything you read with a giant grain of salt. There is severe recall bias and not to mention those people who complain the most about the difficulty of the exam are often the ones who score the highest. If they recall 10 they got wrong, they're certain they failed or severely underperformed...when in reality they actually just got a 250.

You also need to keep in mind that a significant percentage of these questions are experimental and not even scored (~10-15%). In theory, you could miss 15% of the questions, and it wouldn't even put a nick in your score. Everyone on here is working their tail off. It will pay off. You may not get a 260+, but you will perform up to your expectations. If you're able to stay relaxed and focus all of your energy/nerves into each individual question, there's no reason you can't leave that exam thinking, "I worked my ass off for (insert time here) and did the best I could do. There's really nothing more I could have done." If you can say that, then I see no reason why anyone can be upset or disappointed with themselves.

Hey... just wanted to update you.... it was fine. Actually quite a bit easier than I thought it would be. Now, I'm not going to say that I think I'm gonna get a really great score or anything, but I was expecting to be frustrated and exhausted during the test and afterwards.... and that just wasn't the case. I really felt pretty good all day. I was tired for the first two hours (didn't sleep much last night due to a daughter who woke me up at 2:00. I didn't get back to sleep till 3:30 and was up again at 5:45 to get ready to go.)
But once I got through block three, the test just sort of blew by.

Anyway.... I'm wishing that I hadn't gotten so worked up about the thing. USMLE World was good for some things, but I sort of wish that I just used an easier question bank and that I hadn't spent as much time on this website listening to people talk about their 240-260 scores.

I guess now I just have to wait another 6 weeks to find out how I did. I'm not expecting anything better than average. I'm just glad to have it over with and not be pulling my hair out afterwards.

Hey... just wanted to update you.... it was fine. Actually quite a bit easier than I thought it would be. Now, I'm not going to say that I think I'm gonna get a really great score or anything, but I was expecting to be frustrated and exhausted during the test and afterwards.... and that just wasn't the case. I really felt pretty good all day. I was tired for the first two hours (didn't sleep much last night due to a daughter who woke me up at 2:00. I didn't get back to sleep till 3:30 and was up again at 5:45 to get ready to go.)

Anyway.... I'm wishing that I hadn't gotten so worked up about the thing. USMLE World was good for some things, but I sort of wish that I just used an easier question bank and that I hadn't spent as much time on this website listening to people talk about their 240-260 scores.

I guess now I just have to wait another 6 weeks to find out how I did. I'm not expecting anything better than average. I'm just glad to have it over with and not be pulling my hair out afterwards.

Thanks for the update! It's reassuring to hear that it wasn't insanely hard as we have been hearing from all these people getting 240 on their NBME. I am so envious you're done, I can't wait until next wed. night!

Thanks for this post. This is quite reassuring for someone thats about to take the exam. :)

Tommorrow is my last day, I'll be hanging with the family and moving into my new apartment. If I feel like it I'm going to do a stats/embryo/pharm. I think what you do on your last day really depends on if you like to cram or not.

pick a time to stop studying. if you make it to that point, great, stop and relax. if you don't and you're burned out, great, stop and relax.

Where'd Cutler go? Spend time with the beasts and your wife. You're golden.