Last few secondaries to add at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dantes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, posted a few months ago and had good feedback on school selection. Have struggled to keep up with secondaries while working full-time and volunteering. Wondering if there's any schools worth adding for me at this point. I was originally shooting for 25, have submitted 20 secondaries with LORs at this point and I'm working on two more.

Recap of app previously posted:
Non-trad, graduated 4 years ago
Low 3.7x cumulative and science GPA
MCAT: 26 (expired), 517 (last year)
AZ resident, white

Clinical experience:
2 years ED scribe, 3000 hours
2 years physical therapy tech, 2000 hours
120 hours ED volunteering, over a year

Research:
1 year independent honors thesis, committee presentation but no pub or poster
Full-time job in clinical research (with patients), current since Jan. 1000+ hours at time of app, 3000+ by next Aug.

Shadowing:
~10 hours ortho
~10 hours anesthesiology
~30 hours primary care

Non-clinical volunteering:
~150 hours as part of campus volunteer organization (non-clinical, local charities in the community)
Held leadership position in executive board
~50 hours serving as a mentor for first-generation college students coming from a disadvantaged background after personally taking part in program
~50 hours as a school tutor and youth mentor for teens living with families at a homeless shelter (current role over 100 by next year)

Other:
1.5 years facility manager and event supervisor at campus rec center (heavy leadership role explained further in app)
Honors college program
Property manager for relative’s home, 1 yr
Powerlifting hobby
First-generation American, first generation in family to graduate from college

There's some details I'm leaving out but I was advised to apply to a couple top 20s and mid-tier schools mostly. Here's my current list:

Tufts
Boston University
Duke
Temple
Case Western
Keck at USC
Drexel
University of Pittsburgh
Emory
University of Rochester
University of Arizona - Tucson
University of Arizona - Phoenix
Icahn
Albany
Mayo (MN)
Mayo (AZ)
Hofstra
Jefferson
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein

Working on:
Miami
Rosalind Franklin

So far, 1 II, 1 rejection, both in August and from schools ranked in the 30s for research, silence on the rest. Submitted secondaries between late July and now. Had 16 in by Labor Day. Anything worth adding to bring my total up to 25 or would it be a waste of money at this point? Was thinking possibly Vermont, GW, and Georgetown.

Logistically I'm not sure how far in the cycle some schools are, and for this I need some help. For example, I read that Tulane has interviews booked until 2018, so don't want to bother with schools in similar situations. I also just learned that Brown takes a lot from OOS, but reserves most of those spots to people from their own undergrad program. So information like that would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Vermont, GW and Georgetown are worth adding. Brown takes 85 students who are not Brown undergraduates so is a reasonable choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Vermont, GW and Georgetown are worth adding. Brown takes 85 students who are not Brown undergraduates so is a reasonable choice.

Thank you Faha I'll keep that in mind.

Tagging @Goro and @Catalystik if you have any opinions as well. Goro you helped me out before when I posted previously, and Catalystik I saw you giving good advice in a recent secondary thread in pre-allo. If you guys have time to read this over it would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts
Boston University
Duke
Temple
Case Western
Keck at USC
Drexel
University of Pittsburgh
Emory
University of Rochester
Icahn
Albany
Mayo (MN)
Mayo (AZ)
Hofstra
Jefferson
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein

Working on:
Miami
Rosalind Franklin

Suggest: U Cincy, UCLA, Hofstra

Tufts
Boston University
Duke
Temple
Case Western
Keck at USC
Drexel
University of Pittsburgh
Emory
University of Rochester
Icahn
Albany
Mayo (MN)
Mayo (AZ)
Hofstra
Jefferson
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein

Working on:
Miami
Rosalind Franklin

Suggest: U Cincy, UCLA, Hofstra

Thanks Goro. Already had Hofstra on my list. I just looked at Cincinnati and UCLA's freshman class numbers from MSAR though:

Cincy: 111/59 IS/OOS
UCLA: 127/46 IS/OOS

Any particular reason for those two?

Thanks Goro. Already had Hofstra on my list. I just looked at Cincinnati and UCLA's freshman class numbers from MSAR though:

Cincy: 111/59 IS/OOS
UCLA: 127/46 IS/OOS

Any particular reason for those two?
It's not merely those numbers but also how many applied, vs how many were accepted. I figure that your stats are in striking distance.

If not those, try Loyola, MCW or SLU.

It's not merely those numbers but also how many applied, vs how many were accepted. I figure that your stats are in striking distance.

If not those, try Loyola, MCW or SLU.

Good to know, thanks!