Last-Minute Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magpie77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've all heard fairy tales about applicants getting last-minute or post-April-15th acceptances to their dream school, and then they all live happily ever after. I'm interested in hearing which programs have extended offers like these in years past. Perhaps we can find some general trends that might give those zero-acceptance people (me) some hope. :rolleyes:

So, if you or a friend received a last-minute acceptance, where, when, and how did you get the information? And was it with or without an interview? Are there any programs that are notorious for doing this?

(T4C, please don't merge this to the acceptance thread, it really is a new topic!)

Members don't see this ad.

We've all heard fairy tales about applicants getting last-minute or post-April-15th acceptances to their dream school, and then they all live happily ever after. I'm interested in hearing which programs have extended offers like these in years past. Perhaps we can find some general trends that might give those zero-acceptance people (me) some hope. :rolleyes:

So, if you or a friend received a last-minute acceptance, where, when, and how did you get the information? And was it with or without an interview? Are there any programs that are notorious for doing this?

(T4C, please don't merge this to the acceptance thread, it really is a new topic!)

USUHS (Apr 10th after being formally rejected) - Not normally, but it happens, and yes this is a dream school!

I was also extended an invitation by another large state university on April 16th, but I think that was odd for them too. I had not interviewed there either. I turned down the offer without discussion since I was going to USUHS. It's a big pond and strange things happen.

You don't want to live the fairy tale, it's too nerve wracking to be honest! Just prepare to do it again, and do it better than you did last time. Don't get discouraged, but be honest with yourself and learn from the process (which I will admit can suck.) I was admitted and interviewed at such better programs my second time around that I would have kicked myself for getting in somewhere I didn't want to be the first time!

Mark

PS - best of luck!

I received a rejection from a school, and then an e-mail sometime in April from a particular professor saying he'd want to interview me, if I hadn't already committed. He said I could basically ignore the rejection. I had already committed, so I didn't take him up on his offer, but these kinds of things can happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the interview and then got wait-listed all the way until April 15th at 9am when I got THE CALL. My POI had made an offer to someone else, they waited until the last minute to decline, then the offer went to a different faculty member and their person declined, so then it bounced back to me.

I had 2 hours to consider the offer because they wanted to have the spot filled by the end of the day.

I had totally given up on 2007 and was ready to apply for 2008. It can actually happen. Waiting without constantly checking on here was the hardest part of the process for me. My advice is to stay away from your computer for a while, or limit your time on here because it just makes the waiting worse.

My advice is to stay away from your computer for a while, or limit your time on here because it just makes the waiting worse.

Advice I wish I was capable of taking! :laugh:

Hey there!

I know of someone who got their offer on April 15th at USC. Hang in there, but like someone had already said, away from the computer!