last minute decisions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cayetano1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time ranking MUSC v. Wisc v. Cleveland Clinic. Wisc and Cleveland Clinic seem like stronger programs for someone like me who is interested in staying in academics/doing fellowships. My main question is: would residency at MUSC preclude good fellowship placement or academic job prospects, especially outside of the Southeast? Charleston is a beautiful city but MUSC seems to be in a state of flux with a new chairman and a few holes in sub-specialties - I'm worried that I may not have as many academic options after residency but the school is also fairly near some family for me.

Wisconsin seems pretty strong all around (clinical, surgical, research) and Madison seems like a good fit for my personal interests but I am normally drawn to larger cities. Cleveland wouldn't bother me as a place (!) but I am worried that the residents there do not get adequate clinical/surgical training. I have heard that some residents get ~90 cataracts (and i know this is not completely indicative of the quality or breadth of training). My question here is whether Cleveland Clinic is great for fellows and only so-so for residents?

What are your thoughts!? Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree Wisc is probably the best well rounded program you mentioned. It is still one of the top NIH funded programs and the chairman and PD are very involved. Cole is the top academic program you mentioned. MUSC wouldn't preclude you from fellowship, but its the same old story - where would you be most happy to work? That will play a big role in determining your productivity which is huge for determining your candidacy for fellowships

I'm having a hard time ranking MUSC v. Wisc v. Cleveland Clinic. Wisc and Cleveland Clinic seem like stronger programs for someone like me who is interested in staying in academics/doing fellowships. My main question is: would residency at MUSC preclude good fellowship placement or academic job prospects, especially outside of the Southeast? Charleston is a beautiful city but MUSC seems to be in a state of flux with a new chairman and a few holes in sub-specialties - I'm worried that I may not have as many academic options after residency but the school is also fairly near some family for me.

Wisconsin seems pretty strong all around (clinical, surgical, research) and Madison seems like a good fit for my personal interests but I am normally drawn to larger cities. Cleveland wouldn't bother me as a place (!) but I am worried that the residents there do not get adequate clinical/surgical training. I have heard that some residents get ~90 cataracts (and i know this is not completely indicative of the quality or breadth of training). My question here is whether Cleveland Clinic is great for fellows and only so-so for residents?

What are your thoughts!? Thanks so much!!!

For what its worth, I lived in Madison for quite a while and LOVED it. I also tend to like bigger cities, but between UW and it being the state capital there's a lot more going on there than you would expect for a city of its size. I don't have anything to add about the program but thought I'd add my 2cents. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree Wisc is probably the best well rounded program you mentioned. It is still one of the top NIH funded programs and the chairman and PD are very involved. Cole is the top academic program you mentioned. MUSC wouldn't preclude you from fellowship, but its the same old story - where would you be most happy to work? That will play a big role in determining your productivity which is huge for determining your candidacy for fellowships

Agree with this. Wisc is the strongest clinically, Cole academically, MUSC slightly lower tier but solid. I already mentioned the Del Priore is a good guy and will only make MUSC better.