Last verbal score ruined my confidence and finished EK 101, need Advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SiR99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my test is coming up in a week, and for the last few Ek sections I got 9 or 10's on.

I have the older edition, so I just split the passages up into 6 passages with ~ 40 questons and give myself about 55 minutes. I'm not sure how the newer edition is split up though.

Well the last section that I took I went back down to a 7 and now im all out of EK 101.

I have an EK mini-mcat book with verbal that I will try to use however

***I took the practice AAMC's over a year ago, So what do you guys think about me going back and trying those verbal passages again.

***Also for those of you that get 10+ verbal scores, I noticed that the Main idea helps, but do you guys go back to the passage regularly??

***Also, I have been doing TBR CBT with the EK 101 substituted for verbal, im getting 10 for PS and BS, should I just focus on verbal for this week or keep it mixed up??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys my test is coming up in a week, and for the last few Ek sections I got 9 or 10's on.

I have the older edition, so I just split the passages up into 6 passages with ~ 40 questons and give myself about 55 minutes. I'm not sure how the newer edition is split up though.

Well the last section that I took I went back down to a 7 and now im all out of EK 101.

***I took the practice AAMC's over a year ago, So what do you guys think about me going back and trying those verbal passages again.

***Also for those of you that get 10+ verbal scores, I noticed that the Main idea helps, but do you guys go back to the passage regularly??

***Also, I have been doing TBR CBT with the EK 101 substituted for verbal, im getting 10 for PS and BS, should I just focus on verbal for this week or keep it mixed up??

I would do the verbal in TBR CBTs (except the verbal in the first exam, its not realistic)-they're pretty good practice.

- I would highly recommend redoing the AAMC passages. Some may argue that your score would be inflated, but I say you ought to be scoring 15's if that were true and you were fully prepared. More often than not, you tend to remember the wrong things, so you'll actually be questioning yourself a lot.

- As you read, constantly ask yourself what the point of each paragraph was, and how it contributes to the overarching argument - this helps you map out the passage mentally. Yes, I will refer back to the passage regularly and having a mental map really really helps.

- I'd be wary about the EK scores. I ditched EK Verbal b/c I kept scoring 9 and 10, but got a 15 on the test. Didn't use other prep for other subjects, so I can't comment on PS and BS.

Thanks for the Advice guys, I appreciate it. I will definately re-do the older AAMC verbal passages that I still have and try to do some of TBR as well.