Late Committee Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJhooper123

PGY ortho
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate pre-health committee won't send their letter until "early August 2018". My undergrad is a top 25 LA school. They claim that ~88% of students who obtain a letter earn at least one med school acceptance.

My question - Is this problematic for a low stat applicant? I am applying MD/DO and was hoping to be complete ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

My letters were sent by then and were fine - based on submitting amcas 6/17, being verified on 7/11, and trying to write my secondaries asap cuz I didn’t know SDN had them and I could pre-write, having letters arrive in early August was perfect timing. For you it’ll be a little late but I don’t think that letter deadline date make a difference in the end.. if you don’t have a strong application to begin with that would be more of an issue.

What’s your alternative if you don’t wait for the committee letter - do you know enough other professors who would individually write you letters?

Reactions: 1 user
My letters were sent by then and were fine - based on submitting amcas 6/17, being verified on 7/11, and trying to write my secondaries asap cuz I didn’t know SDN had them and I could pre-write, having letters arrive in early August was perfect timing. For you it’ll be a little late but I don’t think that letter deadline date make a difference in the end.. if you don’t have a strong application to begin with that would be more of an issue.

What’s your alternative if you don’t wait for the committee letter - do you know enough other professors who would individually write you letters?

My pre-health committee has ~4 LOR from my undergrad professors, 1 from a coach, and another 4 from MD's/DO. I could probably ask my adviser (or my professors) to individually send these letters to the schools I am applying to. But I am also concerned that the schools I am applying to might view this as a "red flag" that I didn't obtain a letter from my undergrad.

I guess my main question - would it be better to wait for my committee letter and be complete August, or be complete earlier and not have the committee letter?

My app is ok, but not spectacular - pretty solid EC's, 510 MCAT, 3.2 gpa (w/ 3.9 pbGPA)

Members don't see this ad :)
My committee letter was sent late July so I was complete everywhere early August. It isn’t a huge deal, just complete your secondaries in the mean time.

My stats were very average, got II and an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
1) You dont get into medical school because your application is the first one completed; you get into medical school because your application is good.

2) The vast majority of medical schools require, recommend, or prefer committee letters (see AAMC Survey Summary of Medical School Letter Policies https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...d4e1d/msar_medical_school_letter_policies.pdf )

3) Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.

4) There are usually 3 main phases in processing application
----A) Initial Screening/Evaluation: A hybrid of automatic GPA/MCAT screen plus human for "quick review" of application. Used to for general priority and, in some cases, which team/subcommittee gets application. In some cases preset criteria can lead to II
----B)Full Evaluation: This is where evaluator/reader/team/subcommittee will fully evaluate all sections of primary, secondary, and LOR and generally summarize in broad categories or point system. This essentially becomes your priority for adcom review and II. This function may be split up among several evaluators and may go to a team or subcommittee for II decision
----C) Full adcom: this is where your fully evaluated application is reviewed and voted on by adcom for II on later on for acceptance/WL/rejection

5) Most adcoms dont start meeting for review of evaluated applicants until at least mid-August, more likely September, though some reviews may be done earlier for groups mentioned above. Evaluation may start almost immediately at schools.

6) Historically, the AMCAS application and overall admissions process is designed under the timeline that committee letters will not be written and arriving until after the beginning of the Fall term (ie September or later of application cycle). This is due to the deep-rooted "traditional" applicant model where 3rd year/junior students take Organic (now Biochem), MCAT, and apply in late Spring/early summer. Since grades from these courses as well as comments from the instructors were usually expected, and after the course is over many professors are gone for the summer and school functions slow down, it wasnt expected to get this info until the faculty returned in the Fall. Thus committee letters arent expected until at least the beginning of September

Much appreciation gonnif! Very helpful!