Late in cycle? Add more schools to be safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogetter898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so my friends are getting interviews and I’m still waiting on verification for another two weeks...am I late or at a disadvantage in the cycle to the point where I should add on some schools that have lower stats compared to mine where I’m more competitive to play it safe?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so my friends are getting interviews and I’m still waiting on verification for another two weeks...am I late or at a disadvantage in the cycle to the point where I should add on some schools that have lower stats compared to mine where I’m more competitive to play it safe?
So, why do you think you wouldn't be yield protected out just because you are applying late (assuming that two weeks from now is late)?

Yes, you are at a disadvantage to your friends who are already receiving IIs, but it's not even Labor Day yet, so you're not "late" by any reasonable definition. Apply to more schools if it makes you feel better, but applying to schools for which you are overqualified by stats will yield the same results whether you file that application in June or September.

So, why do you think you wouldn't be yield protected out just because you are applying late (assuming that two weeks from now is late)?

Yes, you are at a disadvantage to your friends who are already receiving IIs, but it's not even Labor Day yet, so you're not "late" by any reasonable definition. Apply to more schools if it makes you feel better, but applying to schools for which you are overqualified by stats will yield the same results whether you file that application in June or September.

I’ve heard that with rolling admissions, the later you are, the more competitive your app should be hence my approach of applying to some schools I am overqualified for since my app won’t be verified until later? Would that not work? I’m not trying to waste funds so would appreciate the insight

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you're not late, cause I've only applied to like 5 schools lol. I aiming to be complete in 1-2 weeks and most adcoms say by october is fine this cycle.
I’m waiting on a mcat score release on the 15th which is likely when my app will be verified as well to add any schools besides my home state. Feel like I’m still in the beginning stages of the process while everyone else is wrapping up

I’ve heard that with rolling admissions, the later you are, the more competitive your app should be hence my approach of applying to some schools I am overqualified for since my app won’t be verified until later? Would that not work? I’m not trying to waste funds so would appreciate the insight
You are conflating a few different concepts. One involves what is "late"? Another is what is "rolling"? And the third is what is "competitive"?

This year, with COVID and delayed MCATs, middle of September is probably not going to be late, although traditionally Labor Day is considered "on time."

Conventional wisdom about competitive is that even a really good application will not be ignored or rejected even if it is "late" so long as it is before the deadline. I.e., if Harvard's deadline is 11/15, they are not going to ignore a 4.0/525 applicant submitting at the end of October, although most people would still argue, due to the nature of rolling IIs (as opposed to rolling admissions, which Harvard doesn't do), you're always better off submitting early, since that exposes you to the maximum opportunity to be called for an II, even though some are always held back until the end.

Yield protection is lower tier schools screening out high stat applicants because they realize they are only being used as safeties, and don't want to waste precious interview resources on candidates unlikely to matriculate. Throwing in more applications now to schools where you are overqualified, because you are worried about being late at the schools you are really interested in, sounds like prime conditions to be yield protected.

If you are worried, find more schools where you are a good match. You're nervous because you see people having some success and you are not participating. But, it's not your fault, because you haven't even submitted yet! .

By the way, you are misusing the term "verified." It related to AMCAS verifying your transcript, not schools receiving your MCAT score. Have you submitted anything yet? Are you actually verified? The answer to that question will make all the difference as to where you stand right now!!!

Reactions: 1 users
You are conflating a few different concepts. One involves what is "late"? Another is what is "rolling"? And the third is what is "competitive"?

This year, with COVID and delayed MCATs, middle of September is probably not going to be late, although traditionally Labor Day is considered "on time."

Conventional wisdom about competitive is that even a really good application will not be ignored or rejected even if it is "late" so long as it is before the deadline. I.e., if Harvard's deadline is 11/15, they are not going to ignore a 4.0/525 applicant submitting at the end of October, although most people would still argue, due to the nature of rolling IIs (as opposed to rolling admissions, which Harvard doesn't do), you're always better off submitting early, since that exposes you to the maximum opportunity to be called for an II, even though some are always held back until the end.

Yield protection is lower tier schools screening out high stat applicants because they realize they are only being used as safeties, and don't want to waste precious interview resources on candidates unlikely to matriculate. Throwing in more applications now to schools where you are overqualified, because you are worried about being late at the schools you are really interested in, sounds like prime conditions to be yield protected.

If you are worried, find more schools where you are a good match. You're nervous because you see people having some success and you are not participating. But, it's not your fault, because you haven't even submitted yet! .

By the way, you are misusing the term "verified." It related to AMCAS verifying your transcript, not schools receiving your MCAT score. Have you submitted anything yet? Are you actually verified? The answer to that question will make all the difference as to where you stand right now!!!

I was not aware of yield protection so thank you for clearing that up. I submitted my primary and am at “ready for review” as all my transcripts have been accounted for. The transcripts really delayed my app bc of parchment issues. I think it’s been 4.5 weeks since submission. My score release is September 15. Not sure what that means in terms of where I stand on the timeline

Do schools know what other schools you are applying to?

I was not aware of yield protection so thank you for clearing that up. I submitted my primary and am at “ready for review” as all my transcripts have been accounted for. The transcripts really delayed my app bc of parchment issues. I think it’s been 4.5 weeks since submission. My score release is September 15. Not sure what that means in terms of where I stand on the timeline

Do schools know what other schools you are applying to?
So, you are NOT verified yet, correct? If not, that is separate and apart from MCAT scores. What date did you submit? You can check the verification thread and see what date they are up to. A 7/20 submission was reported verified yesterday.

What do you mean what other schools I am applying to?

So, you are NOT verified yet, correct? If not, that is separate and apart from MCAT scores. What date did you submit? You can check the verification thread and see what date they are up to. A 7/20 submission was reported verified yesterday.

What do you mean what other schools I am applying to?

I submitted July 31 and no, not verified yet. Is there anything for me to do besides just wait? Won’t my score be automatically uploaded into my application once released?

like if I apply to nine schools would each school know what other eight schools I submitted my application to?

I submitted July 31 and no, not verified yet. Is there anything for me to do besides just wait? Won’t my score be automatically uploaded into my application once released?

like if I apply to nine schools would each school know what other eight schools I submitted my application to?
Yes, your score is automatically transmitted to all schools you applied to when available. No, there is nothing for you to do until verified. You can submit to schools, and, this year, a few will release secondaries before you are verified, but otherwise there is nothing to do but prewrite secondaries.

No, there is strict confidentiality regarding where you apply that caused AMCAS to revamp the whole process for dealing with acceptances and WLs in the spring. Some schools might ask you directly, but AAMC will never tell any school where else you applied, or what your results are, until they issue a report in October that will tell all schools you applied to where you ended up enrolling.

Reactions: 1 user