Late Interview at NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isomerjohn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received interview letter from NYCOM- Interview will be in mid April. I wonder if there will even be any spots left by then ? Anyone have any idea or will be interviewing in April as well ? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I am interviewing last week of march and I think they are interviewing until may . I hope they have some spots left or why would they send out interview letters?

I would agree. I was told that half of the class is full at this point. By the time we interview you have to figure that there will not be too many left. One thing is for sure after we interview we probably will wait awhile. My application got to NYCOM around sometime after Christmas. How about yours ? Any other opinions on this ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You still have a chance. Basically right now they are interviewing all the people who basically got their applications in late (sorry, when it comes to med school admissions, the early bird really does get the worm!) or those students who are not a strong academically or otherwise. They are basically interviewing you guys to wait list you in a way. As people decline their acceptance to NYCOM, the admissions committee will go to the wait list and start calling people up. they're interviewing you so that they have more options when it comes time. You can look at it two ways: 1. Why spend your time and money if there is little chance of you getting accapted right off the bat?
or 2. They must not like who they have on the wait list so far and if I really impress them, I'll get in. This is a better way to look at things because there will be lots of spaces open once people decline their admissions (so make your decisions fast people, their are others that would love your spot and you're holding up the process) and if they are interviewing you, you do have a chance. They've obviously seen something they like. Even if you don't have the best MCATs or GPA, if you show that you really want to go to NYCOM and are really motivated and excited to become an OSTEOPATHIC physician, you have a good shot. In a way, they're more desperate than you at this point. They have to fill their spots and they have no idea of knowing how many options you have open to you. Use that knowledge to your advantage by being confident.
And even if you don't get that acceptance soon, take heart, NYCOM has called accepted people all the way up to the first day of orientation! There is always a chance!

Thanks for your imput. I have heard about NYCOM accepting people up until the first day of classes as well. But let me ask you something else are most of the people who they put on the wait list accepted into the following years class ? Also, I figure every year they interview between 600-650, so I guess that is a set number. For those of us interviewing in April we are probably near the end of the process. Also, I guess most of the people they interview are Ny residents ? Is there anybody out there interviewing in March or April who are from out of state ?

also, does anyone have any interviews scheduled for the end of April or May ?

I'm from NJ and I interviewed there in late January. I got accepted and I recently declined my acceptance...hope my spot goes to one of you guys

Good Luck

Thanks CrazyCam any other out of staters slated to interview at NyCOM in April or May ?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by isomerjohn:
• Is there anybody out there interviewing in March or April who are from out of state ?•••••Yup,Iam out of stater.

•••quote:•••isomerjohn
Member # 11577 posted March 01, 2002 10:26 AM Thanks for your imput. I have heard about NYCOM accepting people up until the first day of classes as well. But let me ask you something else are most of the people who they put on the wait list accepted into the following years class ? Also, I figure every year they interview between 600-650, so I guess that is a set number. For those of us interviewing in April we are probably near the end of the process. Also, I guess most of the people they interview are Ny residents ? Is there anybody out there interviewing in March or April who are from out of state ?
••••As far as I know most people get accepted to start in the fall. If they don't have room for you after everything comes back and they feel like you are a really great candidate and would hold up to the following years applicants, you'll be accepted for the following fall.

Most students here are from NY but I don't really think thats a function of NYCOM preferentially accepting New Yorkers. There are plenty of people from out of state at NYCOM. if you are qualified, they'll accept you no matter where you are from. NYCOM is not a state school.

Hi everyone! I am from NY and I have an interview at NYCOM in April. I know that it is late, but I am trying to be optimistic. I just discovered SDN and it has been so helpful. I wanted to thank everyone for their input, and wish all of the late interviewers good luck. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by klm:
•Hi everyone! I am from NY and I have an interview at NYCOM in April. I know that it is late, but I am trying to be optimistic. I just discovered SDN and it has been so helpful. I wanted to thank everyone for their input, and wish all of the late interviewers good luck. :) •••••Hi KLM,
welcome to SDN. you will find a lot of important information in this site.Go on search and search for NYCOM you fill find a lot of info about NYCOM.
Goodluck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing at NYCOM in March or April ? Please include your state of residence and interview date and also thoughts on interviewing this late. Do you think almost all spots will be filled, etc ?

I have an interview at NYCOM the first week of April and I am a NY resident. I called NYCOM today,and they said at this point about half of the class is full. That does give me hope- my gpa is good and my mcat is average- I just applied really late. They will be interviewing until the end of April. He said that if the class is not full by then, they will continue interviewing until july.

Klm : With whom did you speak to ? That's what I was told about half full. so I guess we have a chance. My interview is in the second week of april.

Isomerjohn,

I think I spoke to the director of admissions. Whoever it was, he was really nice. Is that who you spoke to? Also when did he tell you it was half full? Does half full mean that they have accepted half of the people they plan to accept, or does it mean that half of the available spots are taken by people who have been accepted and already put a deposit down? I think we do have a chance.

Klm: I did not speak to the director of admissions (Dr. Michael Schaefer) I was told by someone who sounded like a reliable source in the admissions office that half had taken there acceptances , so the class is half way full. I think we have a chance also. What else did he tell you that was encouraging ? any info about what they were looking for, etc ?

isomerjohn,

The person I spoke to didn't give me any other info. He just said that the class was half full and that they would continue to interview until all of the spots were filled. As far as what they are looking for he did not say anything. They must have liked what they saw if they picked you for an interview. I think all you can do is go on the interview and be yourself.

I am the only person I know how to be !!! (laugh) Thanks for your imput. When are you interviewing again ?

My interview is the first week of april. I called right when I got my letter and that was the earliest day I could get. I guess that is what I get for applying so late. Do you think being from New York will help us at all?

isomerjohn,

If you don't mind me asking- how are your mcats and gpa? Do you have a lot of hospital and voluneer experience? I have heard that NYCOM looks at the whole person- that is what I am hoping anyway. :)

Yes, I think being from Ny will help a great deal did you apply anywhere else ? The way I look at it they interview between 600-650 students per year, so by the time we get our chance, we should be around 550-650 group of students. They interview around the same amount every year and I have heard stories of stidents getting in a few days before classes begin. So that is pretty good news.

3.35 undergrad
3.47 grad
Tons of health care experience

I only applied to NYCOM- I know that is crazy, but money was tight at the time, and that is where I really want to go. How about you- did you apply anywhere else? If you did, did you hear from anyone?

You are as crazy as I am I only applied to NYCOM as well. If things don't work out I am going to take the MCAT again in August. The bright side of it would be since this is late in the process for this year. We would be early for next year. So we would not have to wait that long if we had to reapply.

I have an interview on March 19th. I'm from OK. This will be my first interview. Cool beans!
:clap: :clap:

Evehands : That is oklahoma ? What were you stats if you don't mind me asking. Also, when did you send your app in and when did you receive response from them ?

eveshades,

Good Luck on your interview! :) I am from New York and I just wanted to tell you to give yourself a lot of time to get there in the morning because of traffic. Did you apply to other schools as well?

I just read that someone on interviewffedback was told that the class is almost full and the people interviewing in March and April is just a formality. I was told differently. i don't believe that is the case. Does anyone have further insight ?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by isomerjohn:
•I just read that someone on interviewffedback was told that the class is almost full and the people interviewing in March and April is just a formality. I was told differently. i don't believe that is the case. Does anyone have further insight ?•••••No offense but I really wish everybody stops spreding these rumors. because I dont think I want to have false hopes when I go to my interview that only half of the class is full and I also dont want to preassume that they are calling me for mere formality. I mean why would they call anybody for formailty. They dont have any obligation to send me or any body else any interview if they dont want to. what does it mean that school calling people for interview for formality????

If you read my thread at the end I said that I didn't agree with it. Why would I want to believe that when I have an upcoming interview also. He stated that most of the people interviewed this late in the process are used as possible safety nets to fill the class. As stated before, i don't agree. I was told from the ad. office that the class is half full and that's what i am going by.

I also don't agree with the person who said that the class was almost full. I called the office of admissions, and they told me that the class was only half full. (that was yesterday- unless they admitted 300 students in one day the class is only half full) Anyway- I think that the office of admissions is the most reliable source for that information.

I have a late interview also and I am hoping for the best. I am sure that some of the people who interview in March and April get in, or else why would the school take the time to interview them? So I also disagree with whoever said that they interviewed people that late for formality.

The year I applied, I interviewed in January. (I think I sent my application in in October or November.) At the interview they told me that at that point, the class was half full. I think its just something they say to everyone. But don't let that discourage you. I've heard stories of people interviewing in September, being wait listed, and getting in on the second day of orientation. Anything is possible. Go to the interview and do your best.

I agree , I am hoping that the committee meets at the end of the month for those such as myself interviewing in late march. Anyone have any info on this ? Or has anyone intervewed at the end of any month since the interviewing process began and received a quick decision ?

When I interviewed in December, they stated that the committee meets every 2 weeks (I think on Fridays) so you should hear relatively soon after your interview. I would call the admissions office prior to your interview to make sure your file is complete (e.g. recommendation letters, etc.). During my interview, they informed me that they never received one of my letters of recommendation and that they wouldn't make a decision until they had it. Good luck!!!!

isomerjohn and klm,

I'm an undergrad at NYIT and do research at NYCOM (just got accepted to nycom also.)I know for a fact that the class is about half full at this point. Don't worry about the late interviews the class size is 260, I interviewed on march 7th and got accepted on the 20th. Good Luck theres plenty of space

Fugazi,

Thank you so much for the info. That makes me feel a little better even though my interview is not until April 3rd. Congratulations on your acceptance and I hope to see you and Isomerjohn in August. :)

Interviewing at NYCOM tomorrow. Thant is very encouraging that the class is only half full. I guess that menas that about half have sent in their deposits ?

Isomerjohn,

Good luck on your interview tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Are you nervous? Mine is not for two weeks and I am already getting nervous. Also, I think that if the class is half full it means that half of the people have sent in deposits already.

I must admit, I am a little apprenhensive. But, I am sure it will be ok. to be very honest, what i am most concerned about is probably having to wait for an eternity (most who interview this late usually do. I don't want to know in 2 -4 months. Maybe i will get lucky and they will meet at the end of this month. does anyone have any info on that ?

Isomerjohn,
You should expect to hear approximately 2 weeks after your interview. The adcom meets quite frequently.

I hope you are right. it's just my understanding that it takes awhile at this point. Do you know if they meet at the end of this month ? did you already interview ?

I interviewed at the end of Jan. and received my acceptance letter EXACTLY 2 weeks later. There have been many people who also have received a letter 2 weeks after their interview. However, I don't know if the adcom has changed how frequently it meets now.

I interviewed on March 19th and the interview went well. I was so nervous that I did not bring my check so I just mailed it back. I stayed at the Gold Coast Inn. It was less than $100 and the room was nice, not scary like I read in interviewfeedback.com. I recommend renting a car if you fly in. Transportation is very expensive and there is a shopping mall and lots of stores to look around in nearby. Housing is very expensive. The school is very diverse and our student ambassador, Erica, was cool. We visited the A&P labs and study areas, and the lecture hall. Students are friendly. They will answer your questions honestly. There were students (MSIs) getting ready for a Histo? test everywhere. There were plenty of places to study. Can you tell that I liked the place? I am excited about my OSU interview next week. Choosing wil be hard.

evehands : Choosing ? have u gotten in at NYCOM already ? Also, how many interviewers did you have and do u remember their names ?

isomerjohn, good luck tomorrow... I am scheduled for 4/11.... :p

Even with the late date-- who cares? You must still go out there and show what kind of Doc you are going to be. If you are going to get waitlisted this year, you will have a really good chance the next year. This happens all over the country at all the schools-- One year you get waitlisted the next year you get in.

No I have not gotten in yet. I interviewed with Dr. Yu. He was very nice. I just felt relaxed and prepared for the day. I slept and rested the night before, and I treated my fellow interviewees as classmates, not competition. I believe that makes life better. I was an interviewee among interviewees.

Interviewed on friday. it went fantastic, totally non-stress. Doing alot of praying in the upcoming weeks ahead. They are off Thurs. Frid. and Monday next week so hopefully that won't set them back too much as far as letting us know their decisions.