Late LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling a little angst because 3 out of 5 LOR writers have not sent them yet. I contacted all of them with the appropriate info. about a month ago and, while I know they're all busy, kind of expected something by now.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to gently prod them into finishing it while avoiding pressuring them?

Members don't see this ad.

I know exactly how you feel. I need at least 3 LOR's on file in order for the pre-medical committee at my school to write their own LOR. I asked 2 professors about 2 months ago and still no letter. One even went so far as to tell me that she sent her LOR in, when in fact I just found out today that they haven't received it. It's too late now to put others on the spot and tell them that their letters are needed within a week. It seems that everyone wants to help me, but nobody actually is. It's very frustrating.

Had I known things would have played out like this I would have asked for letters a year ago and maybe they would have turned them in by the middle of this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Toejam
Does anyone have a recommendation on how to gently prod them into finishing it while avoiding pressuring them?

It truly depends on whether the letter writers are colleagues or superiors. If they are colleagues then call em up and tell it to them straight - that you need them sent in as soon as possible. Tell 'em that you appreciate it muchly and once done, yer out of their hair.

If the writers are superiors - say boss, or academic prof, then you have to call them or leave them some message to remind them - say that the school called and said that there was only one letter missing - theirs. Doesn't matter if it's really 2 or 3, make em understand that they are the last thing to make your application complete, and that you really feel that their letter is the one that's gonna clinch it for you.

Then to jog em along, recall a quick anecdote about them in your message. I took freshman chem - well, as a freshman, close to 8 years ago. The prof, thank god, was still alive, but he didn't know me from atom, so I recalled that when I was in his class, he used to give out bonus points if we caught him putting up wrong stuff on the blackboard. Told him it wasn't very often, but I was the contender for first place in pointing out errors when he did.

Yeah, my gunner days ... *hork* *spit*

Then make sure you check in once a week.

If they don't cough up a letter within a reasonable amount of time, then quietly arrange for someone else to write em. Last year I had a prof lined up to write me a letter - she just got some seat at Harvard and was all fired up to use Harvard stationary. She agreed to write my letter, then blew me off completely - no return emails or phone calls, no nothing.

I waited 3 friggin months before I gave up and got other letters lined up. By that time it was January. Don't wait as long as I did to ditch the dead weight and find someone else.

- Tae

I got very proactive yesterday. I emailed one of my recommenders who still hadn't gotten his letters in. He called me back fifteen minutes later, and I went TO HIS HOUSE and picked them up. They're on my desk right now. I will UPS them today from my undergraduate. I feel MUCH better now even though there are still two others who haven't send their @#$@#$#@ recommendations!!!
+pissed+

Wow! I guess I'm not alone.

They are all "superiors" only in the sense that they were all professors of mine. I think I have little to lose by reminding them via e-mail next week.

TKim...you're cracking me up! I forgot if you were already at COMP or are applying. In any event, I hope we become classmates. You won't have any trouble spotting me. I'll probably be the oldest guy there (but, I'm still put together relatively well).

Originally posted by Toejam
TKim...you're cracking me up! I forgot if you were already at COMP or are applying. In any event, I hope we become classmates. You won't have any trouble spotting me. I'll probably be the oldest guy there (but, I'm still put together relatively well).

Ah, you're older than 34?

I hope we all become classmates somewhere ...

- Tae

I'm older than the hills and twice as dusty. (41 in November)

Wow, so surprised to hear that this has happened to others. I thought it was just me! I also asked a DO about 3 months ago to write an LOR. Very happy to do it, but I had to follow up with him 3 times (about once a month) before the letter was finally written last week! I felt like such a pain, but he said he was glad each time I reminded him. He was so busy, and it turns out his mother was dying in this time span! Oh man, did I feel bad when I heard that! Anyway, I think it's necessary to remind them politely. They will probably appreciate the reminder and it will reinforce to them how important this is to you. My tactic was to remind him face to face when I could catch him. It's easier to blow off a message or email than a human being right in front of you. I also had a back up LOR in the mean time. I know it's frustrating, just stick with it!

I finally got all of them to at least verbally agree to do it today! It was kind of funny. The first reply to my e-mail started out with "oops" and the 2nd was "yikes". The 3rd had sent it by the time I e-mailed him.

I worked with 2 DO's at L.A. County 3 years ago and e-mailed them both. Neither replied. Thanks, guys. I actually applied to COMP in 1993 and had a DO write a letter for me. By sheer tenacity, I was able to track her down. Do you know what she said? She recommended how I could find a DO to meet in my area! I mean, c'mon! She had already written a letter for me once and I actually traveled 1 1/2 hours to visit her the first time!

I gave up on getting a DO LOR. I'm just going to explain that they all flaked and it's so typical of a DO.....oh, I guess I shouldn't say that.