All Branch Topic (ABT) Late patient policy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baron Samedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what others do in milmed. How do you handle patients who show up late?

-Grace period?
-Reschedule them?
-See them immediately?
-See them end of the day?
-Notify their command?

Ever get any kickback from hospital command for enforcing a clinic policy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you talking about active duty or the retiree/dependent populations?

Members don't see this ad :)
For me it really depended upon the situation. If they had a suspected serious condition (cancer, for example), I would always just see them.
If they were 20 minutes late for nasal congestion, that’s a reschedule. It’s not fair to my other, on-time patients to see that person because it will delay my seeing the people who planned ahead.
10 minutes late and I would offer to see them that day, but I would tell them that they had to wait until I had a break in my schedule, which might be right away or in three hours. Up to them. Or they could reschedule.
Less than 10 minutes late I would see them.

If the person was active duty, same rules. But if I noticed an active duty patient being repeatedly late or missing appointments, we would contact his command.

If I had a light schedule (which wasn’t infrequent at my second duty station), I would usually just see them either way.

Reactions: 1 user
If the person was active duty, same rules. But if I noticed an active duty patient being repeatedly late or missing appointments, we would contact his command.

Yeah well coming from the prior enlisted side, sometimes they’re late because their command won’t let them leave on time.

Yeah well coming from the prior enlisted side, sometimes they’re late because their command won’t let them leave on time.
For sure. In which case letting their command know he wasn’t at his place of duty (his scheduled appointment) won’t hurt. Especially if it’s a recurring problem, as I said I only did so if they missed multiple appointments.

For sure. In which case letting their command know he wasn’t at his place of duty (his scheduled appointment) won’t hurt. Especially if it’s a recurring problem, as I said I only did so if they missed multiple appointments.

Yeah wasn’t criticizing.

I do recall one patient once who actually told me that his CPT just wouldn’t let him go to medical appointments. As in: he had missed appointments, actually didn’t show up for a surgery once. I offered to talk to his CO and he said please. Talked to the CPT and told him that if he doesn’t want his soldiers going to medical appointments, just don’t approve them. And if he approves them, let them go. A one-off is one thing, but patterns make it harder to take care of -other- soldiers who could have had those appointment times. Not to mention the cost of infilled OR time, and the fact that his soldier still has this medical problem.

He said something along the lines of “well, if I don’t approve the medical visit then it’s on me if he gets sick, but sometimes I need him here.” And I told him if he gets sick because you won’t let him follow up on his problem, that’s still on you (“dumba$$” redacted).

Ultimately I told him he’s the CO. I’m not going to judge whatever decision he makes. He knows what I recommend medically, and he would have to decide if it’s more important to have his soldier at work, or healthy. Just make a choice and stick with it.

Soldier had surgery the next week. I actually moved a case to make time for him.

Honestly, it isn’t always the soldier’s fault. Many times it is, frankly. But when it’s not I was happy to advocate for them.

I do recall one patient once who actually told me that his CPT just wouldn’t let him go to medical appointments. As in: he had missed appointments, actually didn’t show up for a surgery once. I offered to talk to his CO and he said please. Talked to the CPT and told him that if he doesn’t want his soldiers going to medical appointments, just don’t approve them. And if he approves them, let them go. A one-off is one thing, but patterns make it harder to take care of -other- soldiers who could have had those appointment times. Not to mention the cost of infilled OR time, and the fact that his soldier still has this medical problem.

He said something along the lines of “well, if I don’t approve the medical visit then it’s on me if he gets sick, but sometimes I need him here.” And I told him if he gets sick because you won’t let him follow up on his problem, that’s still on you (“dumba$$” redacted).

Ultimately I told him he’s the CO. I’m not going to judge whatever decision he makes. He knows what I recommend medically, and he would have to decide if it’s more important to have his soldier at work, or healthy. Just make a choice and stick with it.

Soldier had surgery the next week. I actually moved a case to make time for him.

Honestly, it isn’t always the soldier’s fault. Many times it is, frankly. But when it’s not I was happy to advocate for them.
Were you Captain or Major when you talked to him? Sounds like an academy douche.

I will say the difference between Major and Captain has been night and day in the amount of crap you have to take from other people. Or maybe I'm just getting crustier as time goes on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Some commands have late appointment policies that tend to change depending on who's in charge at the time. I have been in clinics that required me to see them no matter how late they were to their appointment. (this tended to really suck as I was late for other patients often.

As soon as certain folks went on to bigger and better things, those policies tended to change.

If you don't have a specific policy on the books you are usually free to make your own policy. I am in primary care so I usually gave them a 15 minute grace period before they had to reschedule. It worked better for everyone that way.

If there was a command issue with them making appointments I had my Chief call their Command Master Chief. It saved me the time chasing down their CO and it usually fixed things handling it at the appropriate levels.

If you already fall under DHA then your policy is written for you. DHA-IPM 18-001

(1) If the patient arrives more than 10 minutes late, the MTF will offer to work the
patient in with the same or a different provider before the end of day. If the patient chooses to
reschedule, the patient status will be marked No-Show. If the patient chooses to wait, the visit
will be documented in the current encounter.

(2) If the patient prefers, the MTF will offer to reschedule the patient at a day and time of
the patient’s preference.

(3) If the patient presents to the MTF for an appointment on the wrong day, the MTF
will offer to work the patient in with the same or a different provider before the end of the day.

We don't have a formal clinic policy (though I suppose we might technically fall under that DHA guidance posted above).

I've seen some people have a zero tolerance late policy. If you're not checked in at your scheduled time, you have to reschedule, and I think that's a bit ridiculous. I usually tell my corpsmen that if they're late, but the corpsmen can get them ready to see me without falling behind schedule, then we'll see them at their regular time (corpsmen almost always underestimate how much a late patient throws off the schedule). However if they're more than about 10 minutes late (I only do 20 minute appointments), then they'll either have to reschedule or wait till after I've seen my last patient. More often than not they wait around - beats going back to the squadron and having to do work.

We already don't have enough appointments and, in my mind, having a strict no show policy just causes availability issues down the road.

Problems arise when an O4/5 comes in late and wants to address 2-3 different things in one visit. Delays the rest of my schedule by 40+ minutes.