Late TY interview offer-Louis Weiss, Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacetygrss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

So, I just recieved an e-mail for interview invitation for the Transitional program at Louis A Weiss Memorial Hospital. My schedule is already pretty full during the time that they have available, so I would have to cancel another Pre-lim program in order to fit it in.

Does anyone know anything about this program (i.e. interviewed there, there right now, etc)? I need to know more about the program before I decide to either turn it down or cancel another Pre-lim interview (Internal Medicine at a University program).

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

well, i just interviewed there this week....so i'll tell you that i think the major decision lies between whether or not you want to be in an academic university setting, or a community hospital....the hospital is situated in rogers park, just north of lincoln park if you know anything about chicago....there are alot of nursing homes in the vicinity so there were many, many elderly people there....one resident said her average patient age was about 70....all the categoricals there are FMG's for whatever that's worth to you, and most of the attendings that i met....it's affiliated with U of C, and there are some surgery/ob residents that rotate there i believe from UC, but no medical students (and rumor is those ties may be severing as well).....they kept harping on the fact that it was a "family"....as far as rotations go....it seemed pretty cush....only one month of surgery......4 mos ward medicine--teams 1res, 2interns...q4 call but only overnight on weekend cuz there's a night float from 8-8....short call about q4 (none on sundays) from 8-2....cap at 10, so 5 per intern....there is a non-teaching service for crappy cases (dialysis, chronic pain, etc)....there are teaching attendings, but your pts are all with different private attendings....1 mo ICU, ER, night float (in two week blocks), ambulatory, vacation (in two week blocks)...only two months electives....and of random note, the cafeteria food is terrible.....anyway, hope that helps....if you have any specific questions i can try my best to answer