Latest time to audition for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

recycledpaper

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apps go in 9/15. But I have heard there is some wiggle room if you want to send any additional LORs that might help your app (eg, LOR from a PD in a well-known program, etc). Thoughts?
 
If you are looking to use the month as an interview at that program, then Dec is the latest I would do a rotation. The downside is that Dec is a month you will be interviewing.

If you just want the letter, then Sept would be the last month I would do an away and still expect everyone to see the letter. The MSPE doesn't go out until Oct 1, so most places won't do a detailed read of the whole application until then.
 
If you are looking to use the month as an interview at that program, then Dec is the latest I would do a rotation. The downside is that Dec is a month you will be interviewing.

If you just want the letter, then Sept would be the last month I would do an away and still expect everyone to see the letter. The MSPE doesn't go out until Oct 1, so most places won't do a detailed read of the whole application until then.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking as well. Glad to hear it from another.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with September for a letter, but I think you could swing a January rotation for an interview. I did it and ended up matching at that program.
 
Kind of along the same lines, would a December 11-22 rotation be during the majority of interviews? Or are there a lot of interview days within that specific time period? Trying to do cost/benefit analysis.
 
Kind of along the same lines, would a December 11-22 rotation be during the majority of interviews? Or are there a lot of interview days within that specific time period? Trying to do cost/benefit analysis.

November and December is peak interview season. I'd avoid it if I were you as it wouldn't look good to miss multiple days (assuming they approved it) for interviews, especially if you wanted to go there.