Latest time to audition for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

recycledpaper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apps go in 9/15. But I have heard there is some wiggle room if you want to send any additional LORs that might help your app (eg, LOR from a PD in a well-known program, etc). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are looking to use the month as an interview at that program, then Dec is the latest I would do a rotation. The downside is that Dec is a month you will be interviewing.

If you just want the letter, then Sept would be the last month I would do an away and still expect everyone to see the letter. The MSPE doesn't go out until Oct 1, so most places won't do a detailed read of the whole application until then.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are looking to use the month as an interview at that program, then Dec is the latest I would do a rotation. The downside is that Dec is a month you will be interviewing.

If you just want the letter, then Sept would be the last month I would do an away and still expect everyone to see the letter. The MSPE doesn't go out until Oct 1, so most places won't do a detailed read of the whole application until then.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking as well. Glad to hear it from another.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with September for a letter, but I think you could swing a January rotation for an interview. I did it and ended up matching at that program.

Reactions: 1 user
Kind of along the same lines, would a December 11-22 rotation be during the majority of interviews? Or are there a lot of interview days within that specific time period? Trying to do cost/benefit analysis.

Kind of along the same lines, would a December 11-22 rotation be during the majority of interviews? Or are there a lot of interview days within that specific time period? Trying to do cost/benefit analysis.

November and December is peak interview season. I'd avoid it if I were you as it wouldn't look good to miss multiple days (assuming they approved it) for interviews, especially if you wanted to go there.