Latino "friendly" medical schools and cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmedico

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start this one... You can follow my format if you want. I'm just curious to see what people have to say.

1. horrible
2. very poor
3. poor
4. not well
5. mediocre
6. ok
7. well
8. good
9. very good
10. excellent

University of "XYZ"

1. "Ethnic Majority" student attitude towards Latino medical students at your school?
2. Other non-Latino minority student attitude towards Latinos medical students at your school?
3. Comerodery from other students?
4. Your feel from administrative staff?
5. Your feel from nursing staff?
6. How well did you mix in with everyone else during the M1 year?
7. Feel you got from the city, as a Latino?
8. Rate the city in terms of Latino friendly?
9. Rate your overall Latino "friendliness" of the school:
10. If you had to do it all over again and had a choice; likelihood you would attend your present medical school?

TOTAL SCORE: (10[worst] to 100[best], please include total score)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
University of Miami SOM (Miami, FL)

1. "Ethnic Majority" student attitude towards Latinos medical students at your school? 10
2. Other non-Latino minority student attitude towards Latinos medical students at your school? 10
3. Comerodery from other students? 9
4. Your feel from administrative staff? 10
5. Your feel from nursing staff? 8
6. How well did you mix in with everyone else during the M1 year? 9
7. Feel you got from the city, as a Latino? 10
8. Rate the city in terms of Latino friendly? 10
9. Rate your overall Latino "friendliness" of the school: 10
10. If you had to do it all over again and had a choice; likelihood you would attend your present medical school? 10

TOTAL SCORE: (96) I really like my school :)

Last edited:
David Geffen School of Med (Los Angeles, CA)

1. "Ethnic Majority" student attitude towards Latinos medical students at your school? 10
2. Other non-Latino minority student attitude towards Latinos medical students at your school? 10
3. Comerodery from other students? 9
5. Your feel from nursing staff? N/A
6. How well did you mix in with everyone else during the M1 year? 8
7. Feel you got from the city, as a Latino? 10
8. Rate the city in terms of Latino friendly? 10
9. Rate your overall Latino "friendliness" of the school: 10
10. If you had to do it all over again and had a choice; likelihood you would attend your present medical school? 10

TOTAL SCORE: (95)

it's an awesome program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that several of the Med schools in California and Texas are latino friendly.

Interesting thread. I'm surprised there hasn't been any more responses.

Interesting thread. I'm surprised there hasn't been any more responses.

Top 10 Medical Schools for Hispanics from hispanicbusiness.com
1. Stanford University
2. John Hopkins University
3. University of New Mexico
4. Texas A&M University Health Science Center
5. University of North Texas Health Science Center
6. University of Kansas
7. University of Arizona
8. East Carolina University
9. Edward Via Virginia
10. Ohio State University
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/2005/9/1/top_10_medical_schools_for_hispanics.htm

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/rankings/top_schools/?page=3

Top Medical School 2008 No.10: University of California, Davis School of Medicine

Which medical schools offer the most to Hispanics? Presenting University of California, Davis School of Medicine--our No. 10 Medical School for Hispanic Students, 2008.

Top Medical School 2008 No.8: University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine

Which medical schools offer the most to Hispanics? Presenting University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine--our No. 8 Medical School for Hispanic Students, 2008.

Top Medical School 2008 No.7: University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston School of Medicine

Which medical schools offer the most to Hispanics? Presenting University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston School of Medicine--our No. 7 Medical School for Hispanic Students, 2008.

Top Medical School 2008 No.6: University of New Mexico School of Medicine

Which medical schools offer the most to Hispanics? Presenting University of New Mexico School of Medicine--our No. 6 Medical School for Hispanic Students, 2008.

Top Medical School 2008 No.5: University of Texas Medical School at Houston

Which medical schools offer the most to Hispanics? Presenting University of Texas Medical School at Houston--our No. 5 Medical School for Hispanic Students, 2008.

Top Medical School 2008 No.4: University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio

Which medical schools offer the most to Hispanics? Presenting University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio--our No. 4 Medical School for Hispanic Students, 2008.

Top Medical School 2008 No. 3: University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine

Which medical schools offer the most to Hispanics? Presenting University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine--our No. 3 Medical School for Hispanic Students, 2008.

Top Medical School 2008 No.2: Stanford University School of Medicine

Which medical schools offer the most to Hispanics? Presenting Stanford University School of Medicine--our No. 2 Medical School for Hispanic Students, 2008.

Top Medical School 2008 No. 1: University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas

Top 10 Medical Schools for Hispanics from hispanicbusiness.com
1. Stanford University
2. John Hopkins University
3. University of New Mexico
4. Texas A&M University Health Science Center
5. University of North Texas Health Science Center
6. University of Kansas
7. University of Arizona
8. East Carolina University
9. Edward Via Virginia
10. Ohio State University
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/2005/9/1/top_10_medical_schools_for_hispanics.htm

awesome links, thanks Fullthrottle

tons of latino's at any med school. I went to BU, very latino friendly.

University of Kansas SOM (Kansas City, KS)

1. "Ethnic Majority" student attitude towards Latinos medical students at your school? 7
3. Comerodery from other students? 8
5. Your feel from nursing staff? 10
6. How well did you mix in with everyone else during the M1 year? 7
7. Feel you got from the city, as a Latino? 4
8. Rate the city in terms of Latino friendly? 4
9. Rate your overall Latino "friendliness" of the school: 8
10. If you had to do it all over again and had a choice; likelihood you would attend your present medical school? 5

TOTAL SCORE: (73)
The medical school itself is very good (Great teachers and staff). The student body was very homogenous (From Kansas...went to undergraduate in Kansas, went to residency in Kansas, will stay in Kansas. Felt like some of my classmates had never seen someone not from Kansas before.) As a Cali girl I was really home sick the first year but you get used to it. However, I was able to get great interviews and land a awesome residency back in Cali. My top choice. Just to show that if you work hard you can still make it, no matter where you go to medical school.

My advice is to strongly consider the school but if you are not from Kansas it will be a bit of a culture shock, depending on how exposed you have been to the midwest.

USC - Keck School of Medicine! I can't believe I'm the first to mention!

Apply to UCSF. There is a strong Latino student/faculty community here.

It seems that several of the Med schools in California and Texas are latino friendly.

Would you guys say it is "easier" to get into those med schools as a latino? Or should someone looking at an "easier' way to get in be applying to school in the heart of the deep south?