Law of interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dodo23

MS0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've discovered a new natural law. It is called "The Law of MSTP Interview Invites."

According to this (empirically verified) law, interview invites come at the time(s) you least expect them, from precisely the school(s) you're least expecting to hear from.

Or, in more scientific terms, the probability of getting an invite from a particular school at a particular time is inversely proportional to the level of expectation on the part of the applicant with respect to both variables, school and time. ;)

All 8 of my invites have been of this nature - my sole response was 'shock and awe.' Conversely, whenever I've been particular keen on hearing from a particular school (and thinking it was high time, given when my secondary was submitted and my file was complete), said school has decided to sit on the file for weeks on end. Anyone else found this to be the case?

Neurotic, moi?

Members don't see this ad.

If you ask why they haven't marked your application as complete even though you submitted in July and it's been over a month - no invite.

After comparing this anecdotal evidence with various people I've met on the interview trail, I've come to completely believe in the veracity of the above statement.

If you ask why they haven't marked your application as complete even though you submitted in July and it's been over a month - no invite.

After comparing this anecdotal evidence with various people I've met on the interview trail, I've come to completely believe in the veracity of the above statement.

You mean it wasn't marked as complete on that checkmark recommendation received page?

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean it wasn't marked as complete on that checkmark recommendation received page?

No I actually meant on the MD page...my MSTP page thing had all green checks and it said the application was complete. On the MD portal however it kept saying incomplete....oh well - I've completely given up on the idea of a Pitt interview and just think it's kind of funny. I told my mom about sending them emails and she told me they were probably writing 'annoying' or 'high-maintenance' on my application.

No I actually meant on the MD page...my MSTP page thing had all green checks and it said the application was complete. On the MD portal however it kept saying incomplete....oh well - I've completely given up on the idea of a Pitt interview and just think it's kind of funny. I told my mom about sending them emails and she told me they were probably writing 'annoying' or 'high-maintenance' on my application.

I think I saw on some message boards last season (This was actually in July when I first joined SDN) about Pitt being notoriously slow about everything. I wouldn't give up hope on an interview yet, but I think you probably will get in somewhere that's higher up on your list anyway.

don't worry guys and don't jump to conclusions.. i remember lots of my applications sitting around for months. worst was one that i submitted in october but didn't get the complete mark until february. and i got in there. so until it's march, don't give up :)

I've discovered a new natural law. It is called "The Law of MSTP Interview Invites."

According to this (empirically verified) law, interview invites come at the time(s) you least expect them, from precisely the school(s) you're least expecting to hear from.

Or, in more scientific terms, the probability of getting an invite from a particular school at a particular time is inversely proportional to the level of expectation on the part of the applicant with respect to both variables, school and time. ;)

All 8 of my invites have been of this nature - my sole response was 'shock and awe.' Conversely, whenever I've been particular keen on hearing from a particular school (and thinking it was high time, given when my secondary was submitted and my file was complete), said school has decided to sit on the file for weeks on end. Anyone else found this to be the case?

Neurotic, moi?

I think this is the Law of Low Self-Esteem.