law to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidflip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is one for ya!

I have friend who tried to get into medicine after completing his Bsc Bio 3.8GPA, and then tried again after Msc Micro Bio 3.8GPA, still no dice. Frustrated he applied to and got into law school at UofT (apparently in the top 4 law schools of the world). He completed law school with great marks (straight A's), finished his articleship and says his heart is still in medicine and the corporate law firm world with all the politics and ass kissing is not his cup of tea. He can't see himself doing this for the next 25-30 years. He's not really a schmoozer big wig type, but more down to earth and looking to have a career in family practice in small town.

Now here's the question, will Med schools look at him now that he has completed law school? are there actually lawyers in med schools? Will they think he's crazy for enduring all of this schooling to return to med school?
On a side not he is now 33 years old, will that affect his chances?

Thanks for your input all, I really appreciate your wisdom on "legal eagle"

Kiflip

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kidflip:
•Here is one for ya!

I have friend who tried to get into medicine after completing his Bsc Bio 3.8GPA, and then tried again after Msc Micro Bio 3.8GPA, still no dice. Frustrated he applied to and got into law school at UofT (apparently in the top 4 law schools of the world). He completed law school with great marks (straight A's), finished his articleship and says his heart is still in medicine and the corporate law firm world with all the politics and ass kissing is not his cup of tea. He can't see himself doing this for the next 25-30 years. He's not really a schmoozer big wig type, but more down to earth and looking to have a career in family practice in small town.

Now here's the question, will Med schools look at him now that he has completed law school? are there actually lawyers in med schools? Will they think he's crazy for enduring all of this schooling to return to med school?
On a side not he is now 33 years old, will that affect his chances?

Thanks for your input all, I really appreciate your wisdom on "legal eagle"

Kiflip•••

I know of a doctor who completed undergrad, served in the military during Vietnam (I think), returned and became a CPA, then went to law school, and then completed med school in approximately three years.

So I suppose some med schools will look at people who have already went to a professional school.

I did it, and so did another guy in my class. I think you just need to show the medical school that you are a mature person dedicated to medicine that is not making their decision out of whismy.

Something about your friends story perplexes me. With great numbers why didn't he get in before, I think that's what he needs to investigate. Perhaps that will help.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Having another degree can be a strength, especially if you can demonstrate how your previous graduate school experience enhanced your skills. If he/she wants to use the law background in medicine, they should explain how. If not, that's fine. Law school is usually considered to be more widely applicable than medical school because it focuses on critical thinking and other organizational tools, most of which will be very valuable to a physician.

$0.02

I am in the proces of doing it...I am in law school right now, but have decided along the way (and after a bunch of health & the law/ethics classes) that medicine is the right direction for me. Most interviewers react positively when I explain my reasons for the switch (although one or two seem to have not really "got" it). So far, I have been accepted at 1 school and interviews everywhere else I applied. So...it can be done.