Lawyer to Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FA5297

Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I am just finishing up a post-bac (do-it-yourself type) with a 4.0 science GPA, and 3.82 overall GPA. Majored in poli-sci as an undergrad, Law School at a top ten, and then worked some at a prosecutor's office. I am doing research at Michigan's med school 3 days a week now, have some volunteering in, and will take the MCAT in April. Have not started studying for the MCAT, and am currently taking gen chem 2. However, took an AAMCAS practice. Score so far is:
MCAT - 34
Verbal- 14
Bio- 11
Phys- 9

Two questions. In 4 months, how much can I pull it up, and assuming it stays the same, where would I be competitive? I am a resident of Michigan. I have also been published in a legal journal, and it looks likely I will be published with my research position within the year (though possibly after applications are done).

Thanks again for your responses. Please let me know what I might consider doing to up my chances, and whether 4 months is enough time to improve the MCAT score (and how much it can be improved).

Best,

-A Friendly Lawyer :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

If you are able to make that 34, you're good, especially considering that you are a Michigan resident. If you can get it a little higher, you can pretty much guarantee yourself acceptance to top-tier programs, namely UMich, which is top 10.

Its really all a matter of how much time you have to devote to your studies. Everyone I've talked to has told me that you'll average around 4 to 5 points higher on the AMCAS practice tests then you will on the real thing. I guess this is more or less just a matter of test anxiety and stress that comes with taking the real thing. I know my sister studied her ass off for a good 5 months and was averaging 36 to 38 on the practice tests but only got a 30 on the real thing. You might consider getting like an associates degree in biology or chemistry just to show you have an interest in science that goes beyond just meeting the basic requirements. Keep up the research and volunteering as that will definitely be a big help in getting an interview. Really the only thing I can think of that you might consider is to shadow a doctor for a full week or two. Other than that you just have to nail that MCAT! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if you are hitting a 14 on verbal as a baseline, you could really knock the MCAT out of the park. The BS and PS sections are much easier to bring up, which I don't doubt that you can do in 4 months and while finishing pre-reqs. Tough to know what your exact chances are without a concrete MCAT, but the way you are trending, I would say you had a shot at quite a few top tier schools, incliding U Michigan.

A quick refute to a few posts above this: it is quite possible to score above your AAMC Practice Tests on the real thing, particularly if you already have a solid handle on Verbal Reasoning. My actual MCAT (42) was 4 points above my last AAMC Practice Test (38).

wow great stats! Study for the MCAT for a few months, maybe get some volunteering in and some shadowing and you will be set! :)

Its really all a matter of how much time you have to devote to your studies. Everyone I've talked to has told me that you'll average around 4 to 5 points higher on the AMCAS practice tests then you will on the real thing. I guess this is more or less just a matter of test anxiety and stress that comes with taking the real thing. I know my sister studied her ass off for a good 5 months and was averaging 36 to 38 on the practice tests but only got a 30 on the real thing. You might consider getting like an associates degree in biology or chemistry just to show you have an interest in science that goes beyond just meeting the basic requirements. Keep up the research and volunteering as that will definitely be a big help in getting an interview. Really the only thing I can think of that you might consider is to shadow a doctor for a full week or two. Other than that you just have to nail that MCAT! Good luck!

Other way around happened to me haha
Got four points higher on the actual exam :cool:

Study your butt off you'll do great! With that GPA and an interesting non-trad route the chances look pretty good for really good schools.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

How much have you heard of people pulling their scores up in 4 months? Are there any online courses you would recommend? I have decent discipline (so no need for the kaplan/princeton review sit-ins), but if there is anything online thats inexpensive and effective, I would certainly be interested.

As for the verbal, law school certainly helped for that part. Just worried about those sciences. For the LSAT, I know doing tons and tons of practice problems helped me. Does the MCAT work the same way, where just lots of practice problems will give you the feel for the test?

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

How much have you heard of people pulling their scores up in 4 months? Are there any online courses you would recommend? I have decent discipline (so no need for the kaplan/princeton review sit-ins), but if there is anything online thats inexpensive and effective, I would certainly be interested.

As for the verbal, law school certainly helped for that part. Just worried about those sciences. For the LSAT, I know doing tons and tons of practice problems helped me. Does the MCAT work the same way, where just lots of practice problems will give you the feel for the test?

Thanks again everyone!

Check out SN2's MCAT study schedule in the MCAT prep section of this forum. The material is relatively inexpensive. Tons of people on this forum swear by it.

Also, yes, MCAT studying is basically the same as LSAT studying in that it can be learned in a few months.

If you are able to make that 34, you're good, especially considering that you are a Michigan resident. If you can get it a little higher, you can pretty much guarantee yourself acceptance to top-tier programs, namely UMich, which is top 10.

Realistically, there are no guarantees in med school admissions, especially when top tiers come into play.

That being said, it sounds like you'll have a pretty successful application cycle, OP. Your law background is interesting, and your research will be a major plus. You haven't given a very thorough description of your ECs, so it's hard to tell if they are average or stellar.

You have plenty of room to improve your MCAT score by leaps and bounds. As others have said, head on over to the MCAT forum section and check out the sticky with SN2ed's MCAT schedule. It's worked great for a lot of people (your truly included) and is pretty inexpensive compared to in person courses.

Good luck! :luck:

jco review are online vids that are pretty good in my opinion :)

Update on this post for future career switchers:

I ended up getting a 34 on my MCAT (11VR, 11 BIO, 12 PHYS) with a rather unexpected breakdown. Most of my interviews discussed legal issues and how they relate to medicine, and I found I connected best with epidemiologists and doctors who were politically active. Every one of my interviewers asked "why the switch" or some variation thereof. Although my stats were not stellar, I had interviews from places like Harvard, which leads me to believe the story you tell is particularly important.

I was accepted to a few excellent schools, but ended up going with Wayne State University, where I was offered a full scholarship. If you have the conviction to pursue medical school, it can be done! However, take nothing for granted. A lawyer friend of mine who tried to switch struck out last year, and had to return to the legal field. Also, pay attention to the details. Don't gloss over your essay. Spend some time thinking about what you can add to the class, and understand you may have to emphasize different parts of your application to different schools.

Good luck future applicants! Switching careers from being a lawyer to being a doctor can be tough, but it is definitely possible. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! You seem like an extremely smart person and I think you'll do great things as a physician with legal background in the future, best of luck in med school!

Highly competitive.
Two questions. In 4 months, how much can I pull it up, and assuming it stays the same, where would I be competitive?

Get clinical and non-clinical volunteering in, and shadow some doctors.

Thanks again for your responses. Please let me know what I might consider doing to up my chances.