WAMC + School List Nurse / DNP Student 3.27 cgpa and 503 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Thank you to this wonderful community for your time. I am a NonTrad who worked before college then went to Nursing School. I recently withdrew from a DNP program to pursue Medicine DO or MD I personally love both. I am finishing most of my prereqs this Summer. I have posted before but my AMCAS gpa was calculated incorrectly as I rushed to throw an application far too late last cycle, but I did not do so as recommendation of Goro and Candbgirl. I have checked my GPA now on the excel and updated my hours. I have posted before but this is the updated one with my new MCAT/research.

1. cGPA 3.27 and sGPA for AMCAS is 3.0 and ACCOMAS is 3.55
    1. Strong Upward Trend due to First Semester Failed in 2018 because I did not know you can Withdraw and did not attend classes after the first week. (1.9 cgpa -> 3.3 cgpa -> 3.6 cgpa ->3.7cgpa -> 4.0 postbacc (20 credits) /grad) cGPA is about 3.7 with this semester excluded. MY school refused to change the grades to W on transcript.
  2. 503 MCAT with equal distribution (Considering retake as my FL's were much higher)
  3. AZ, strong ties to IL and CA
  4. ORM, first generation American,
  5. Private University Undergrad, T20 Doctoral but withdrawn my enrollment on great standing/recommendations
  6. 3000 (500 more expected) Paid MA/EMT/Nursing/Charge Nursing and 1000 Volunteer Clinical for underserved homeless, low ses, disaster relief
    1. 500 Hours Clinical Experience in Nursing School on varying floors
  7. 3000 (500 more expected) Hours Primary Care Office Manager/Billing/Coding
  8. 300 hours (300 more anticipated) assisting in T10 research
    1. One first authorship to clinical journal submitted
    2. Second author ship on clinical abstract presented at major conference
    3. Pending First Authorship manuscript and Third authorship paper
  9. 120 Hours Primary Care, 40 Hours Cardiology MD and DO
  10. 800 Non-Clinical Church, Foodbank, Crisis Line
  11. Several clubs and organizations
  12. Several scholarships and EMT distinctions
  13. Speaking one other language natively and Spanish conversationally
  14. My narrative is helping those that are underserved, psychiatrically ill, and strong continuity of care stories. Strong preference for primary care and rural health, my experience almost all revolve around primary care.
  15. Ultimately I would like to do internal medicine
  16. I was thinking of applying broadly to DO's this cycle due to MCAT, I am strongly considering taking it again as my FL average was 510 with my last two FL's being 515 and 522 under test taking conditions. I have had a death in the immediate family a month before the test so I believe maybe it impacted me subconsciously more than I thought

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for many DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Noorda-COM
CUSOM

Reactions: 1 user
As of right now, you a good candidate for DO but as a reinventor with a 503 MCAT, I'm not sanguine that any MD school will show you love.
I am along a similar line of thinking! Thank you for replying, which DO schools are on your naughty list again? And do you believe there are any MD's that I may have a slight chance at. although I do recognize it is most likely a donation.

ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Noorda-COM
CUSOM
Thank you for the list Faha! I wanted to apply to Midwestern AZ and IL due to my ties to both states and I like the schools alot, is my MCAT too low for them? And are there any MD's worth throwing on my list?

ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Noorda-COM
CUSOM
Thank you for the list Faha! I wanted to apply to Midwestern AZ and IL due to my ties to both states and I like the schools alot, is my MCAT too low for them? And are there any MD's worth throwing on my list?
Yes, your MCAT is low for those schools but you could try them (check out the tuition before you do so).

ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Noorda-COM
CUSOM

Yes, your MCAT is low for those schools but you could try them (check out the tuition before you do so).
Thanks again, I am grateful for your help! I will check the tuitions out.

I am along a similar line of thinking! Thank you for replying, which DO schools are on your naughty list again? And do you believe there are any MD's that I may have a slight chance at. although I do recognize it is most likely a donation.
U AZ is your best chance at MD currently, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 users
U AZ is your best chance at MD currently, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Noorda-COM
CUSOM

Are there any MD's you would recommend Faha?

You are really trying to convince yourself that you are MD material. Do your homework on schools with rural health tracks. I'm sure all Arizona schools will have these opportunities, and your best bet even with your low MCAT would be your in-state options. I agree with @Goro that you have a very slim chance with them. That said your nursing experience will make your application interesting to anyone doing rural health.

You are really trying to convince yourself that you are MD material. Do your homework on schools with rural health tracks. I'm sure all Arizona schools will have these opportunities, and your best bet even with your low MCAT would be your in-state options. I agree with @Goro that you have a very slim chance with them. That said your nursing experience will make your application interesting to anyone doing rural health.
I appreciate your input! I was meaning to tag you as well as I have benefited from your advice on other threads. That said are you referring to MD or DO schools that have rural health tracks? I don't feel that I am or am not "MD material" but would just like the privilege of becoming a physician. Thank you for replying, I follow your and Goros advice, I was simply trying to make sure if I should apply to them or not.

I appreciate your input! I was meaning to tag you as well as I have benefited from your advice on other threads. That said are you referring to MD or DO schools that have rural health tracks? I don't feel that I am or am not "MD material" but would just like the privilege of becoming a physician. Thank you for replying, I follow your and Goros advice, I was simply trying to make sure if I should apply to them or not.
Both MD and DO schools in Arizona should have rural health tracks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best chance for MD would be newer schools if you increase MCAT to 518+

A lot of these schools want to increase stats so sometimes they might bite for high MCAT

Best chance for MD would be newer schools if you increase MCAT to 518+

A lot of these schools want to increase stats so sometimes they might bite for high MCAT
That makes sense, I am still considering retaking my MCAT as my FL average was much higher than my real score. I will have to contact MCAT forums about that though.

Lol MD material… So many thoughts on that phrase, it’s connotations, it’s explicit meaning, the way you convey it, so little time to get into it. OP do your best, you’ll get in somewhere with that experience. Whether that be MD or DO. You’ll still reach your goals.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Lol MD material… So many thoughts on that phrase, it’s connotations, it’s explicit meaning, the way you convey it, so little time to get into it. OP do your best, you’ll get in somewhere with that experience. Whether that be MD or DO. You’ll still reach your goals.
Thank you for the kind words and reassurance. Means a lot to me, I look forward to being the best physician MD or DO that I can. Its a journey I cannot wait to take.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
@Goro @Faha My first author manuscript was recently accepted and will be published in the highest impact clinical journal for a specialty, should I add it to AACOMAS as well as send update letters to schools or is it too early in the cycle?