MSW LCSW and LPC interchangeable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see so many job postings that say "either LPC or LCSW require." Even for strictly social work jobs I see them accepting LCSW's.

Are these two jobs really interchangeable? Can LPC's do social work too?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
image.png

No searching necessary when your post shows up at the bottom for "similar posts".

To specifically answer your question, if the job postings are counseling related then that has to do with the fact insurance will reimburse either LPC, LICSW, OR LCSW depending on state/insurance. Employers care about getting reimbursed, they don't care who is providing the service. Some positions are specific to LCSW OR LICSW, such as hospital positions. Most LPC programs focus more on mental health while MSW programs also discuss advocacy and systems-level problems. As an LPC, however, you may get clients that need support with access to resources/advocacy etc.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    114 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with the above post. I work in a jail and have friends in hospitals, etc. Our jails accept LCSW or LPC for assessments, however hospitals here want LCSW because they can do more social work and counselors are usually limited outside of what they can provide (position wise). Also, as the above post mentioned an MSW can function in administrative and advocacy roles whereas an LPC is much more limited to just direct practice.

Not really, I got a round about answer but it was not specifically answered... And do people on here really go as far as to search everyone else's post history lol

After rereading my response, I'm going to have to disagree with it being "round about;" I answered what was asked. You ask lots of game show questions on here - perhaps you should hone your skills of precision so people can better serve you. And yes. Other people here spare the second it takes to conduct a search. I find it more laughable that someone who appears as interested as you in learning all of this random trivia from this board would not.

Yes.
No.
Depends on the state.
Depends on the employer.
Depends on your own view.
Depends on the school you go to for your training as LPC or LCSW.

I see so many job postings that say "either LPC or LCSW require." Even for strictly social work jobs I see them accepting LCSW's.

Are these two jobs really interchangeable? Can LPC's do social work too?
I live in the southeast and have worked in a variety of roles in a university setting and community mental health. In both settings, we had team members who did the same job who were from a variety of disciplines. We had LCSWs, LPCS, and LMFTs (and occasionally doctoral level) all doing the same work. Occasionally, feathers get ruffled a bit over differences in background and training, but this has been rare for me. While there are some differences in the education, master's level mental programs generally lead to similar types of positions.

I live in Maine and there is no LPC, but there is an LCPC. I was under the impression that the LPC was the license before taking the counseling exam, which once passed gives you an LCPC.. is that true? sorry I know this is a bit off topic but it will help me understand the conversation.

I live in Maine and there is no LPC, but there is an LCPC. I was under the impression that the LPC was the license before taking the counseling exam, which once passed gives you an LCPC.. is that true? sorry I know this is a bit off topic but it will help me understand the conversation.
Some states have only LPC some have LPC and LCPC some have MFTs and in each state the meaning of all this varies. In my opinion, the whole licensed counselor thing is sort of a mess nationwide.

smalltownpsych: I agree that it is a mess. I am mostly concerned with acquiring one license, say an LCPC which is the license for Maine, and then moving to some state like CO where the license is an LPC. Could I still practice in the state CO with an LCPC and is there any limitations due to the difference in licensing?

It will depend on if the state you move to has similar license requirements as the state you are currently licensed in. The title of LPC/LCPC/LMHC signifies you have met the requirements for independent licensure by the state granting the license. You have graduated from an accredited program, with a minimum number of credits that cover certain content areas, have obtained pre-masters clinical experience in the form of practicum and internships with a minimum number of hours (varies by state), have obtained post-masters clinical experience typically a min of 2 years, and have enough supervision hours by licensed, approved supervisors. In MA, that means 60 graduate credits covering 10 core content areas, 100 hour practicum, 600 hour internship, and 3360 hours post masters hours. RI I believe requires more hours for internship. Some states will accept your experience if you have been licensed a certain number of years (ex 3 years in MA, then RI will grant license if other requirements are fairly similar). If you plan to move to a different state, find out what the requirements are and if your program meets them.