LCSW en route to a PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drm13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I had a question regarding a potential career route that I would love to get some feedback on.

I would like to be a therapist and am currently looking at MSW programs en route to becoming an LCSW. I would, however, like to be a professor at some point (potentially doing research as well). I feel like it would be great to have a base in real word experience as a therapist to give perspective to teaching and research.

I am a little bit confused on how to do this.

I know a PhD is more research based and a DSW is more clinical based. Is it possible to have a PhD in social work and also be a practicing clinician? And if yes, how is this done? Would the route be to get the MSW, and then the PhD, and then work towards getting the LCSW?

Or would getting the LCSW right after the MSW and then working towards completion of a DSW be the best option?

And is it possible to do research and be a professor with a DSW, or is research/teaching tenure positions specifically for PhDs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

@drm13 Start with MSW first, and then consider your options. I have several professors who have their LCSW and PhD, totally feasible. Most, get their MSW, practice therapy, take licensing exam, earn LCSW, apply for PhD programs, and then somehow, manage to see 2-3 patiens a week etc, and return to teaching part time and practicing full-time.

Reactions: 2 users
@drm13 Start with MSW first, and then consider your options. I have several professors who have their LCSW and PhD, totally feasible. Most, get their MSW, practice therapy, take licensing exam, earn LCSW, apply for PhD programs, and then somehow, manage to see 2-3 patiens a week etc, and return to teaching part time and practicing full-time.
Thanks for your response. That's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks Salvador!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response. That's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks Salvador!
I agree with Salvador's line of thinking here. As to your question about DSW's doing research and teaching, yes there are DSWs that land jobs as professors but it's important to add some caveats. Research 1 universities are going to want to hire PhD's into tenure track positions because of their emphasis on research. Tenure will be primarily based on research achievements, not teaching. They may hire DSWs into non-tenure track professor positions with titles like "clinical assistant professor" or "professor of practice." While these positions are typically not tenure track, schools of social work do value them as a way to bolster the clinical chops of their faculty. Many tenured professors in social work are pretty far removed from real-world clinical experience. It's possible to engage in some research activities too from a non-tenure track position. Finally, putting R1 universities aside, you could likely find a tenure track position as a DSW at a smaller (likely less prestigious) school more focused on teaching than research.

I agree with Salvador's line of thinking here. As to your question about DSW's doing research and teaching, yes there are DSWs that land jobs as professors but it's important to add some caveats. Research 1 universities are going to want to hire PhD's into tenure track positions because of their emphasis on research. Tenure will be primarily based on research achievements, not teaching. They may hire DSWs into non-tenure track professor positions with titles like "clinical assistant professor" or "professor of practice." While these positions are typically not tenure track, schools of social work do value them as a way to bolster the clinical chops of their faculty. Many tenured professors in social work are pretty far removed from real-world clinical experience. It's possible to engage in some research activities too from a non-tenure track position. Finally, putting R1 universities aside, you could likely find a tenure track position as a DSW at a smaller (likely less prestigious) school more focused on teaching than research.
The further along I go, the more I think tenure-track is over-rated these days, especially if you're in a clinical position that brings in money via billing (thus some degree of job security). I could choose to jump on the tenure route in a few years, but don't think I will. Promotion is still possible without being TT.

I agree with other posters. One needs the msw to teach social work. In my graduate school one professor did not out off all the faculty, however, she was from Europe and her focus was on teaching executive leadership and ngo management. Most schools of social work want someone with the msw. The msw is the only truely regulated aspect of graduate sw education. To be a professor, you need a PhD from a high ranking school. I have never met a dsw in my 11yrs of field experience around here. I do note that some states may give credit towards the number of post degree experience needed for licensure if you are clever/connected/fortunate enough to get into a PhD program straight from msw without completing the lcsw.