LCSW supervised hours...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdg2249

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been researching LCSWs online, and I am interested. However, I have questions that I just can't find answers to.

I understand that after completing the MSW, you need 2 years of supervision, plus 1 more to become licenced for private practice.

During those years of supervision, are you getting paid??

Does the supervision have to be direct?

Any other things I should know would be greatly appreciated !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello tdg2249,

You will be hard pressed to find concrete information online regarding the LC due to the fact that not all states are the same. Generally speaking you need two years of post MSW clinical experience that qualifies in that specific state (every state has different wording in their statutes). Those two years must be under supervision of a LCSW (there might be a couple states that allow other mental health professionals, but I doubt this). Not only that, but the LCSW must have enough most LCSW supervising hours themselves. Some states allow you to utilize in house supervisors and others require you to find "external none-paid contractors." Regarding getting paid, it really depends. I know quite a few who already have a strong social support system and just pay their supervisor for training. Others have full time jobs and pay for training. Each state words paid supervision in a different way; some LCSWs cripple you in debt with the training, others only ask for the direct face to face hours. For instance, my state only requires 100 direct face to face hours and the rest can be clumped in monthly meetings. I found someone to provide supervision and was willing to only ask for the 100 hours and would just do the rest for free (my agency is stalling on signing the MOU, unbelievable). As a result, I am moving to another state that has more friendly requirements. This is due to the harsh nature of the weather, time to learn how to use a firearm.

There is actually a lot more options to become a LCSW. There is also the QCSW option and I believe another antiquated option that escapes me at the moment. It can be a frustrating process to research. Believe me, my agency has tried to put me in a unsolvable maze(they need me but do not want to let me grow), but I am determined to reach my goal.

So, as for as work, can I see patients/clients, and I just consult with my supervisor? I think in Alabama, the rules said they need to look over my progress notes, and diagnosis.
Am I doing it for free until my supervision is over??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello tdg2249,

You will be hard pressed to find concrete information online regarding the LC due to the fact that not all states are the same. Generally speaking you need two years of post MSW clinical experience that qualifies in that specific state (every state has different wording in their statutes). Those two years must be under supervision of a LCSW (there might be a couple states that allow other mental health professionals, but I doubt this). Not only that, but the LCSW must have enough most LCSW supervising hours themselves. Some states allow you to utilize in house supervisors and others require you to find "external none-paid contractors." Regarding getting paid, it really depends. I know quite a few who already have a strong social support system and just pay their supervisor for training. Others have full time jobs and pay for training. Each state words paid supervision in a different way; some LCSWs cripple you in debt with the training, others only ask for the direct face to face hours. For instance, my state only requires 100 direct face to face hours and the rest can be clumped in monthly meetings. I found someone to provide supervision and was willing to only ask for the 100 hours and would just do the rest for free (my agency is stalling on signing the MOU, unbelievable). As a result, I am moving to another state that has more friendly requirements. This is due to the harsh nature of the weather, time to learn how to use a firearm.

There is actually a lot more options to become a LCSW. There is also the QCSW option and I believe another antiquated option that escapes me at the moment. It can be a frustrating process to research. Believe me, my agency has tried to put me in a unsolvable maze(they need me but do not want to let me grow), but I am determined to reach my goal.

I found this...

All LBSW's are required to complete 24 months of supervision. After completing the 24 months of supervision the LBSW can continue to work without supervision. Should you change positions but remain in the same type of practice as you have already been supervised under then you would not need to repeat the supervision, however if you are going into a different type of practice or you will be serving a different type of client population you will need to repeat 6 months of supervision. The contract for supervision is on this website under "Supervision". You will need to printout the form and submit it to the Board's office for approval.

In most cases, yes. As long as they have their LCSW; it is possible to have other mental health professionals provide the supervision. From what I have heard, you pay as you go. This is however up to the individual providing LCSW supervision. Look up the social work board for the state of alabama, there should be statutes on the site that specifically state what the requirements are. Keep in mind as well, that sometimes there are ways to circumvent the statutes, but this is very state specific.

Q How many hours do I need of Supervision?

A If you're a LBSW you'll need 24 months at (4) hours per month face to face supervision by a LGSW or LCSW working within the same agency or a PIP certified in the same practice method if coming from outside your agency. If your a LGSW working towards the qualifications for the LCSW you will need four (4) hours face to face per month for 24 months, the supervision for the LCSW must come from a LCSW within the agency or a PIP certified in the same practice method if coming outside your agency.

You will need 96 face to face hours with your LCSW Supervisor, if you are really lucky, the LCSW will only charge per hours for those hours.