Lead extraction and goobers case.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevoflurane

Ride
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
35 y/o male with history of SVT as a kid. Device has been in for 20 years and is now eroding through the skin.
Presents to hybrid OR for lead extraction. As per usual, I drop a probe and get the following images.
Comments, concern, plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
F30FFFAA-3E5F-4E39-AD35-F8F61DDCAD80.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if clips are uploading. Hopefully they are.

See if they can angiovac that thing to debulk it.....if not you might need to do this on pump...

Reactions: 3 users
How common are lead thrombi and what are the guidelines for incidental findings?

Reactions: 1 user
Jesus, what kind of TEE machine do you guys use, that looks niiiice.

Ha I think sevo’s practice rolls around in money. Probably a philips x7 or x82t probe and one of the later model Epiq machines

Speaking of lead extractions. What do you guys do in terms of pump / CT surgeon backup? Pump in room, pump primed, pump down the hall, no pump at all? CTS on standby or physically in the room?

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of lead extractions. What do you guys do in terms of pump / CT surgeon backup? Pump in room, pump primed, pump down the hall, no pump at all? CTS on standby or physically in the room?

CT Anesthesiologist doing the Laser Lead with a TEE probe. Pump in room, not primed. Surgeon and Perfusionist in house, immediately available on standby (not actively involved in another case)

Reactions: 4 users
How common are lead thrombi and what are the guidelines for incidental findings?
So I really would have no idea how to answer this if it were asked on oral boards or other. I looked it up. There are a couple studies I found that indicated asymptomatic lead thrombi in atrial leads are about 45-50% and ventricular leads about 30-35%

I think I would want to know how necessary the pacemaker is at this point? Is the pt still having problems with SVT or is the pt completely dependent on the device to prevent intractable SVT?

Obviously, the concern would be for a pulmonary embolus causing death as well as undiscovered PFO with arterial spread of embolus should the thrombi come loose. If the lead replacement can wait a bit, then cancel case, 3 months of anticoagulation and then re-evaluate for thrombus. If none present then proceed. If lead replacement is urgent (pt dependent on device), then as others have said, the question would be debulking thrombi and then lead replacement vs bypass and open heart replacement.

Overall, the pt appears young and likely has a healthy heart and lungs. I would be willing to proceed with attempted debulking of thrombus followed by lead replacement. I may perhaps place a mac introducer along with the planned a line for the procedure as well as notifying CT surg and perfusion to standby for potential emergent bypass procedure.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like sternotomy and bypass is way overkill for this, assuming there is no other indication to open the chest. Not sure about the actual incidence but anecdotally we see these lead-associated thrombosis fairly frequently... Might it cause a PE? Sure. Will it be fatal? Probably not- would have to be an awfully big thrombus. At most would anticoagulate the patient and recheck in a couple of weeks.

The other concern is whether these things are actually vegetations. TEE can’t give you tissue diagnosis, and while endocarditis certainly isn’t the most likely dx in an otherwise asymptomatic patient, it’s not impossible- and if it is endocarditis, waiting could make things MUCH worse. Wondering if anyone would start empiric abx for this (my sense is probably not but still interesting to consider).

I feel like sternotomy and bypass is way overkill for this, assuming there is no other indication to open the chest. Not sure about the actual incidence but anecdotally we see these lead-associated thrombosis fairly frequently... Might it cause a PE? Sure. Will it be fatal? Probably not- would have to be an awfully big thrombus. At most would anticoagulate the patient and recheck in a couple of weeks.

The other concern is whether these things are actually vegetations. TEE can’t give you tissue diagnosis, and while endocarditis certainly isn’t the most likely dx in an otherwise asymptomatic patient, it’s not impossible- and if it is endocarditis, waiting could make things MUCH worse. Wondering if anyone would start empiric abx for this (my sense is probably not but still interesting to consider).

If that thing is veg, just given the massive microbe burden and extremely mobile nature of it he would almost certainly be febrile, bacteremic, and throwing septic emboli to the lungs. But youre right that even if he's asymptomatic the possibility of veg does need to be on our radar.

As far as thrombus burden, granted we only have one view to look at but we do need to consider that that thing is totally enveloping multiple centimeters of the distal part of that lead. I'm thinking about it like a vine wrapping up a telephone pole. The vine has a pretty slim profile as is but imagine how much plant mass you have if you stripped it off the pole and bunched it up.

Not to mention it looks like there's a good bit of secondary non-mobile thrombus that may be distinct from the mobile schmutz on the lead that's catching everyone's eye (see below between the red arrows).

Screenshot_20201114-203741_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
If that thing is veg, just given the massive microbe burden and extremely mobile nature of it he would almost certainly be febrile, bacteremic, and throwing septic emboli to the lungs. But youre right that even if he's asymptomatic the possibility of veg does need to be on our radar.

As far as thrombus burden, granted we only have one view to look at but we do need to consider that that thing is totally enveloping multiple centimeters of the distal part of that lead. I'm thinking about it like a vine wrapping up a telephone pole. The vine has a pretty slim profile as is but imagine how much plant mass you have if you stripped it off the pole and bunched it up.

Not to mention it looks like there's a good bit of secondary non-mobile thrombus that may be distinct from the mobile schmutz on the lead that's catching everyone's eye (see below between the red arrows).

View attachment 323179

The arrows are pointing at the tricuspid annulus, not thrombus.

Not to mention, that's not where the TV annulus would be in the kinda modified RV inflow-out view he's showing us

1605487890251.png

looks like the x8
7 is noticeably worse

Yes X8-2t. Our hospital just bought a fleet of epiq's will all the snazzy software. We do a bunch of structural stuff, so a nice machine is quite useful.

Perfusion and CT on standby in the OR complex. Pump literally outside the OR doors.

So I really would have no idea how to answer this if it were asked on oral boards or other. I looked it up. There are a couple studies I found that indicated asymptomatic lead thrombi in atrial leads are about 45-50% and ventricular leads about 30-35%

Correct. Lead thrombus is extremely common.

I think I would want to know how necessary the pacemaker is at this point? Is the pt still having problems with SVT or is the pt completely dependent on the device to prevent intractable SVT?

Good thought. He didn't need it anymore, so we were not replacing it. Had to come out though as the battery pocket was eroding through the skin.

Obviously, the concern would be for a pulmonary embolus causing death as well as undiscovered PFO with arterial spread of embolus should the thrombi come loose.

100%. First thing I did when I saw this monster was to check for a PFO which the patient did not have.

Now as to what to do. Well there are no published guidelines as to what to do when you find a thrombus. Options are pull real hard and hope for the best, anticoagulation, tpa, angiovac/percutaneous removal or surgery. All have their own set of risks.
As per this particular patient, the thrombus is a monster and was literally ebb and flowing in and out of the pulmonary valve. There is no doubt in my mind that if this thing were to embolize, it would cause harm. Not only is it large, but certain aspects of it are very well organized and would not be easy to tpa if it ended up in the lungs. That being said, the patient was 30 years old and had no other heart issues (good EF, etc).

100%. Definitely keep it in mind but very low probability if the patient isn't septic, valves look good, not throwing septic emboli, etc. Also correct in that the proximal end was an organized thrombus that was rock solid with a distal very mobile part to it.

Ultimately, cardioligy struggled getting this thing out (had 20 years to bury itself into a developing heart). Cards became very reluctant to pursue the lead once i showed him what we were dealing with. This particular cardiologist starts to think of surgical intervention once it is 3-4cm in size. TEE demonstrated at least a 7 cm mass which was likely even bigger. Cards persisted in trying to get it out until his lead extender/sheath broke off at which point the solution became obvious. Pump run for lead extraction which in all honesty would have been a good choice from the get-go as we had an otherwise healthy patient/good protoplasm. Downside would be the scar in a young patient. TPA or anticoagulants were not going to dissolve the proximal thrombus and in the meantime he was at risk for a major card/pulm risk.

All in all the case ended up being super easy once we decided on surgical removal of the pacer lead and thrombus.

Reactions: 7 users
Point of the thread is that lead thrombus are extremely common and there are not hard guidelines as to what to do with them (unless symptomatic).