Leadership Experience and extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medDaisuki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore , premed. I have a gpa of 3.88. I am just wondering how important the leadership experience is. I know med school is very hard to get into and extracurricular activities are important considering more and more applicant have good GPA and GOOD GPA ,Mcat, medical volunteering, Shadowing are things that thousands of applicants all have and having those can't make you stand out.
I am just wondering how is the other factors that can really make one applicant stand out from the rest.
I know leadership experience is important but I just don't have the time to run an organization of some sort it is just too much a burden considering I am going to apply for med school next summer. Does TA make a good leadership experience?? Another problem is I am a shy person and being a president of some sort is really not my type. I want to know your guys opinion about those questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry there are typos, the second question is what are the other factors that can make one applicant stand out?

I recommend checking out "White Coat Chronicles" on YouTube. Nice run down of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am a sophomore , premed. I have a gpa of 3.88. I am just wondering how important the leadership experience is. I know med school is very hard to get into and extracurricular activities are important considering more and more applicant have good GPA and GOOD GPA ,Mcat, medical volunteering, Shadowing are things that thousands of applicants all have and having those can't make you stand out.
I am just wondering how is the other factors that can really make one applicant stand out from the rest.
I know leadership experience is important but I just don't have the time to run an organization of some sort it is just too much a burden considering I am going to apply for med school next summer. Does TA make a good leadership experience?? Another problem is I am a shy person and being a president of some sort is really not my type. I want to know your guys opinion about those questions.

If you don't feel that you have enough time to get your extracurriculars in tip-top shape, I would suggest that you take a year off rather than applying when your application isn't at its best.