Learning Disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blair Book

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do the medicals school admissions look upon an applicant with a learning disability? I have been diagnosed since I was younger, and apparently when I was in the military it was still diagnosed. Would this cause a problem when I do apply? I have not had any problems in any schools, but I feel that I should mention this when it comes time to write my personal essay.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I would let the admissions comittee know that you might have trouble handling the curriculum. If your "disability" did not prevent you from attaining excellent grades in your courses and the MCAT exam and you can interview well then you should be okay.

Do your personal statement like everyone else and tell them why you want to help people get well and how much you respect a doctor that you know.

:)

Obviously you dont feel compelled to allow your LD to underpin your path. If it does not affect your GPA or MCAT then why mention? Do you learn in a conventional method or do you rely on a special instrument? If the LD makes you dinstinct from non-LD applicants, visually, then you must convey this to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
This response is of the 'take it or leave it' variety; e.g., worth approximately 2cents.

That said, several secondary applications invite applicants to discuss adversities they have faced in the path to their objective. This question can potentially identify unique situations, challenges, or aspects of character in an applicant's life. Some applicants have faced legitimate adversities and overcome them. The resulting answers to these questions can sometimes be remarkable. For example, a blind student graduated MD last year and is now (I believe) in anesthesiology GME.

As I read your situation, the LD you describe sounds like a legitimate obstacle that you faced and overcame. Perhaps you see it as an adversity that you faced in your objective? If so, then it would seem to be an appropriate and genuine answer to the above question. The other side of this coin, however, is that the LD could be taken as evidence of your scholastic abilities. My response to that observation would be to consider the associated GPA and MCAT. Both of those measure scholastic ability. If both of those are competitive, then the disclosure of the LD in an adversity statement could be taken as an example of dilligence and integrity.

Again, this is food for thought.

Blair Book said:
How do the medicals school admissions look upon an applicant with a learning disability? I have been diagnosed since I was younger, and apparently when I was in the military it was still diagnosed. Would this cause a problem when I do apply? I have not had any problems in any schools, but I feel that I should mention this when it comes time to write my personal essay.

Hi there,
If your learning disability does not require special accomodations then leave it out of your application unless it has a direct bearing on how you arrived at medicine as a career. If you have the grades and scores but they were achieved with special accomodations then make sure you mention your LD in your application. Being able to achieve with an LD is a very positive asset.

njbmd :)

Thanks for all the responses!

It will be a couple of years until I start to apply, but this issue has been bothering me some. Probably should not jump the gun until I get to that point.

Thanks again, and good luck to everyone applying this year! :thumbup:

Yep...you were in the military alright. Seems like a while ago too because 91b MOS is now 91w....if you can do the 91b course at Ft.Sam then you should be ok.....you must have tested high on the ASVAB (relative to the military) to get the 91b slot so you must not have too much of an LD.

btw--i am sure the smasta$$ jerks will be reading here soon with thier predictable remarks so ignore them.

LincolnMass,

Your signature "Shut up and make me a chicken pot pie..." is BRILLIANT...My favorite movie of all time...a true classic!

To the OP...I know someone in my class who was dx'd w/ 2 LDs and he is holding his holding his own. PM me with your email and a brief note and I'll forward it to him...I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering your questions.

JMC

LincolnMass said:
Yep...you were in the military alright. Seems like a while ago too because 91b MOS is now 91w....if you can do the 91b course at Ft.Sam then you should be ok.....you must have tested high on the ASVAB (relative to the military) to get the 91b slot so you must not have too much of an LD.

btw--i am sure the smasta$$ jerks will be reading here soon with thier predictable remarks so ignore them.

Ft. Sam! That place was great, how long were you in the Army for?