LEARNING OTOLARYNGOLOGY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nacholibre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Overwhelmed oto intern here. I am starting to get the hang of being a surgical intern, and as my efforts are increasingly trending away from needing to read about fluid management and managing acute hospital complaints and towards reading about otolaryngology, I'm starting to realize that I DON'T KNOw JACK, and it seems like the more I read, the more I discover to learn about this field.

I would love your input on how you approached studying when you were at this point in training, what timeline goals can I realistically set for myself, and where my intial focus should be.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As we used to say when I was a resident: "that's why it's a 5 year program."

You have more time than your entire undergrad or medical school education to learn about ENT, so don't stress too much.

I started reading Pasha during the latter part of my intern year to prepare for PGY2. As you start getting more efficient at intern level tasks, you may start having lots of downtime during your last few months- this is a good time to whip out your Pasha or KJ Lee and start reading. If you can make it through most or all of one of those books prior to July, you'll be ahead of the game.

I read KJ Lee and Pasha when I was an intern...mostly Pasha. I spent my intern year pretty much being an intern and reading Morino's ICU book. Beyond that, there really was no time.