Learning PCAT Vocabulary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poptropica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pcat score for the vocab section is around the 60%. I have a few SAT books laying around my house and looked into it to build some of my vocab.

When your building up your vocabulary how do you guys study for it?

Do you use index cards and write the word in front and the definition in the back?

I feel like if I'm doing this I only learn the definition of the word and can't fit it int othe context of sentence completion questions. Do you guys have any other tips that I can build up vocabulary?

Members don't see this ad.

Learn prefixes and suffixes. Expecially the odd ones. It will help on the vocab and also the acronym section.

If you have the money, you should go to barnes and nobles and buy an SAT vocab flashcard set.

If you are like me, and are broke, then I suggest that you go to to go here:

http://www.vocabulary.com/lists/23400

When I learn vocabulary, I make sure I learn a sentence that the word can be used in. This helps in remembering it. And, don't forget to review words because you can forget vocab easily if you don't review it.

Good luck :)

I learned lots of vocab words once in my life. I cut a 3x5 inch index card in quarters so the cards were really small. I'd put the word on the front and the definition on the back. Then I just put a bunch in my pocket and would study whenever I had a few extra minutes. I learned them forwards and then I would flip them over and try to guess the word just by reading the definition. When I could do that both ways, I knew the word. I would also try to find them used in sentences so I could see how they were used in context but I didn't write that on the card.

If I thought I knew a word, I'd put it into the "known" pile and concentrate on the words I didn't know. But I would periodically go back the the known pile and make sure I remembered them. Many times I'd have to return the words to my working pile. Do that enough times and the words move into your long term memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone;
I am new here!!! do you guys know any lists for PCAT vocab? I have studied 1300 words from Kaplan's list of 1600 words but I was so confused on last week's exam because most of the words seemed new to me!!!!:confused: