racermike1967

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
Status
Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to study.

I have taken AP Bio and AP Chem about 8 years ago and have never taken Organic Chem so I can safely say that I do not remember much of what I have learned a long time ago and know nothing on that which I have not studied :)

I figured the best way for someone like me is to take bio, chem and orgo at my local college but rather than waiting to finish these courses in the span of 1-2 years, I would like to start preparing for the DAT and take the exam sometime in spring 2011 so that I can be ready to apply in the summer of 2011.

I have the textbooks necessary for this endeavor but how would you all advise that I go about preparing myself?

I have already ordered the Kaplan Blue Book and am waiting for it's arrival. I am assuming the information in this book would not be sufficient for my preparation. I am willing to buy the Cliffs AP Bio, and any other educational material but what do you all suggest in my case?

Thank you all for your help!!!

Erhatstil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
unless you're gifted and have a ton of time on your hands, i wouldn't bother trying to teach yourself organic, just wait until you can take the class. as for bio and gen. chem, if you read the text books things will probably come back to you, but it'll take time. if you have the option of taking these courses over, it def wouldn't hurt.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
best way to do this is by trying it out.

Try to read Kaplan biology section, its pretty easy and straight forward, You shouldn't have much trouble with it but have a biology text book near you incase you read something that confuses you.... the bio text book will be your reference guide.

After your done with biology, try your luck with Cliffs AP bio, its going to go over most of Kaplan's biology with "better" details. Also something chapters and topics are explained wayyyy better in cliffs ap Bio.

When you finish with this, hit Kaplan blue books general chemistry, they have an excellent guide for the 2 chemistries, and feel your self out. If you see yourself struggling, instead of retaking general chemistries, maybe you can sit in a GC class (don't sign up, just go and sit down and take notes).

Finally, do NOT try to learn orgo by yourself.... well you can, but its easier to just take the 2 courses lol, you have to anyways, they are pre-req courses.