Least writing intensive majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StormyGirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I must sound strange but I just realised I hate writing alot. Whenever I do have a essay or report to write I become very anxious until I'm finished because I have a hard time putting my thoughts in words. I don't have a problem with writing up 5 pages but when it goes beyond that it can be overwhelming. Are there majors that require less writing? I do well in sciences and math but I have a strong interest in foreign language. I'm not sure if my lack of interest in extensive writing would be a problem for that kind of major. Does pharmacy school require alot of writing? :scared:
Stormy

Members don't see this ad.

StormyGirl said:
I know I must sound strange but I just realised I hate writing alot. Whenever I do have a essay or report to write I become very anxious until I'm finished because I have a hard time putting my thoughts in words. I don't have a problem with writing up 5 pages but when it goes beyond that it can be overwhelming. Are there majors that require less writing? I do well in sciences and math but I have a strong interest in foreign language. I'm not sure if my lack of interest in extensive writing would be a problem for that kind of major. Does pharmacy school require alot of writing? :scared:
Stormy

Pharamacy doesn't require alot of writing, but they sure as hell make up for it with all the science and other electives you have to take.

Unfortunately pharmacy school requires almost zero writing within the program itself, I guess a couple of pre-reqs in english will require it.

This hurts my ability to excel! I can write circles arounds those bastards :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Requiem said:
Unfortunately pharmacy school requires almost zero writing within the program itself, I guess a couple of pre-reqs in english will require it.

This hurts my ability to excel! I can write circles arounds those bastards :mad:

Yeah well at least it might help with your interview/application proccess. ;)

Most undergrad universities have writing requirements for everybody don't they? They usually require you to take 1 lower division english and 1 upper division english.

And some pharmacy schools like USC want you to take 3 english classes.

So pick any science major and you'll probably only have to do the bare minimum, just what the pharmacy and your university require. You do have to write science papers as a biology major though but they are VERY different from essays in english obviously. You can be less of a gifted writer (in the traditional sense at least..) and still do really well in science papers.. just make sure to do your research, get good sources, etc..

From my experience, being a science major does reduce the amount of paper one has to write. Compare with other liberal art majors, like history or philosophy, all they do is write. I took an upper division history of science class and I had a 2 pages essay every week. In addition, each week we get quizzed over our assigned readings (which range from 100 to 300 pages) that we were supposed to have done over the 2 days weekend. We also have a huge project of 30+ pages, and smaller papers of 10-15 pages scatter throughout the semester. Let me tell you that semester was hell for me because I also do not enjoy writing, but I have learned a lot and became a better writer because of it. I don't know about your school, but at my school, even science majors have to take some liberal art classes in order to get our degree. I think it's just a necessary evil one has to do in college.