Leave CVS for FDA registered outsourcing facility that is an independent pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmagirl1818

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently full time at cvs. Graduated last year I don’t mind it, but the DL had cut 35% of my store hours for tech so most of the time it’s only me and 1 tech with 7 pharmacy calls, 4 pick ups, 3 drive thrus, etc etc. having to close 7-9 by myself even at times and no room for going over hours. Already the store had less hours but got cut a lot more starting new year...

Wondering to whether go for independent pharmacy where it’s registered outsourcing facility mainly doing sterile compounding or just suck it up stay at cvs since its chain???

I appreciate any input.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The advice I gave to my students (who invariably only half listen) is to yourself in 10 years doing what you are doing now. If you can't, I'd be looking for a place where I could.

I also have a strong statement about never working anywhere that you can see yourself jeopardizing your license. There is always some inherent risk practicing, but there are clear limits to those issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I am pretty sure the hour cuts came from above your DL's head but yes, you are describing working at CVS to a tee. Whenever you start it seems manageable but they keep squeezing and squeezing until you break. Basically you should do CVS until you can do something (anything) else. The longer you stay at CVS the more you will come to hate it.

Or perhaps you will be the outlier who loves it more and more with each passing year. To each their own.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With the hours cut. Why not both? I know people who have worked for 20 years doing the graveyard 7 days on and off at two pharmacies. You are still young. Do it while you can and get use to it. Pharmacy jobs are not easy to come by.

With the hours cut. Why not both? I know people who have worked for 20 years doing the graveyard 7 days on and off at two pharmacies. You are still young. Do it while you can and get use to it. Pharmacy jobs are not easy to come by.

What, they work two full time 7on7off jobs back to back with no days off ever? How can you have a life outside of work?

I was just thinking if it is smart for me just yet since I just graduated with not as much experience OR if it’s smart to work for independent pharmacy due to the fact it isn’t as stable as a chain would be, however this pharmacy mainly does outsourcing and sterile preparations, not typical Rx drug dispensing

For clarification, compounding pharmacy does 503B IV syringes and bags. ALL compounding pharmacy must be registered with FDA after mishap by Ameridose. Due to drug shortage, in the last three years there were huge growth, from 12 to about 30+.
“FDA approved” or “Independent” actually carries no meaning in this case.

With the current drug shortage in the hospital landscape, there were tremendous opportunities for owner and job opening for pharmacists.

Two headwinds in this case: Merger, acquisition, and consolidations. Potential layoffs on the horizon, but also opportunities.

However, one huge headwind is the coming back of Pfizer generic injectables, as well as a few manufacturers are coming out with pre-filled syringes. Once the products are released, 503B will lose sizable business.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

For clarification, compounding pharmacy does 503B IV syringes and bags. ALL compounding pharmacy must be registered with FDA after mishap by Ameridose. Due to drug shortage, in the last three years there were huge growth, from 12 to about 30+.
“FDA approved” or “Independent” actually carries no meaning in this case.

With the current drug shortage in the hospital landscape, there were tremendous opportunities for owner and job opening for pharmacists.

Two headwinds in this case: Merger, acquisition, and consolidations. Potential layoffs on the horizon, but also opportunities.

However, one huge headwind is the coming back of Pfizer generic injectables, as well as a few manufacturers are coming out with pre-filled syringes. Once the products are released, 503B will lose sizable business.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thank you for your clarification. When I researched I saw there is about only 78 FDA approved outsourcing 503b facility like that in US, leaning me to think toward it being a good career opportunity. But I have been always skeptical since independent pharmacy could close anytime, esp what u said about generic and prefilled syringes coming out.

Is it worth it to try it out? Because ultimately I want to get a job in hospital setting but me being a new grad and only expericne being at CVS just like 95% rest of rph doesn’t make my CV stand out so I thought a compounding pharmacy doing sterile preparation for most part would be better for my future job outlook.

The sterile compounding pharmacy sounds like a cool experience. Even if for some reason the indy pharmacy doesnt survive for long, if you get a couple of years of good experience there you'll be able to leverage that for other pharmacist jobs more than you could a couple of years of CVS retail experience. I could see sterile compounding experience being valuable for FDA jobs if you ever decide to go that route. Also, my understanding is that even corporate retail jobs arent really all that stable anymore, so maybe you aren't really risking all that much by walking away from CVS?

The sterile compounding pharmacy sounds like a cool experience. Even if for some reason the indy pharmacy doesnt survive for long, if you get a couple of years of good experience there you'll be able to leverage that for other pharmacist jobs more than you could a couple of years of CVS retail experience. I could see sterile compounding experience being valuable for FDA jobs if you ever decide to go that route. Also, my understanding is that even corporate retail jobs arent really all that stable anymore, so maybe you aren't really risking all that much by walking away from CVS?

Yes, I thought it sounds pretty cool. You’re right, I was just thinking even if I were to walk away from cvs, working for a sterile compounding pharmacy would make my resume and experience for attractive for other employers since I didn’t plan on being a retail rph for that long of term. Interested in hospital / manufacturing fields. But that’s daydreaming, given I didn’t do a residency since I didn’t wanna sink more in loans. So, this seems like a good opportunity but wanted to seek advice of those of you who been in the workfield way longer than me

Working for compounding pharmacy will not very likely lead you to FDA jobs. FDA jobs has different tracks and qualifications, most focus on compliance and regulation even for field agents. However, this could potentially lead you to hospital openings. Although in a limited fashion, your compounding experience could get you a IV room supervisor or operational position in a large hospital(not clinical).

If you get the compounding staff position, make sure you learn this trade. You must understand and master USP 797 and 800, Sterility and stabilities, microbiology, culture, smoke, fungi......

If you just do verification and production, you are no different than retail pharmacist who does assigned workflow. Thus, keep in mind this is a transitional job for hospital position down the line. Keep on learning and build your network. It is a job, a better job that will move you closer to hospital position. Treasure the opportunity and use it as stepping stone.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user