Leave PhD for Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlliniAggie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently in a PhD program (just began second year, have not gone through qualifying exam yet) at an elite university, but it's been somewhat of a nightmare of an experience, mostly due to mentor-related issues. I've always had a residency as a goal, and until lately, this was a post-PhD plan. I am now considering entering the match this year, but I cannot decide if leaving the PhD is a wise decision or not. My long term goals are a joint clinical/research academic appointment, and I do feel the PhD would be helpful in the skills I would acquire, and the later value it would add to my CV, particularly where it's coming from, but I have never been more miserable in my life. I would not quit this program, however, because it is a rare opportunity, except possibly for a residency.

As I am reluctant to exit the PhD and close the door on it entirely, I was considering the possibility of withdrawing during the residency with the possibility of later re-instatement to finish the program (especially if there are no faculty positions available upon completion of the residency). Looking at the policies of the university, it looks like this could be possible, but I would need to be sure I could get re-in statement through the consent of my advisor/department, but I kind of feel that would never be rock solid and I may never get the opportunity to return. A "Leave of Absence" is only permissible for one calendar year, except for in extraordinary circumstances such as military service. I doubt a residency counts.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or exited and later finished a PhD? Or conversely, has anyone else found the PhD to be key to success in a clinical faculty appointment? I'm very conflicted. I feel I can buckle down and finish this, but I am not getting the mentorship/development I wanted out of this program, and it's pushing me to a breaking point at times.

Also, some context for the advisor situation: due to the set up of the program, I had to identify an advisor who would pay my tuition, as the department would not fund me. I had initially identified someone else as a potential mentor, but he bailed when he found out he'd have to pay tuition. I was basically shopped around to another PI who is well-funded, is well-known in his field, and is a powerful guy at the university as well. I did not feel that his lab or mentorship would be a good fit for me, but I joined anyway in order to get into the PhD program (life lesson: follow your gut instinct). Switching mentors would unfortunately be politically and practically very messy.

Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

A PhD is usually a huge help, if not a necessity, for a faculty position (especially one with a research component to the appointment), BUT this also varies by specialty. What type of residency were you looking to do? Are you more upset with your mentor, or with research as a whole? I myself had to flee a toxic lab in my second year and am much happier for it, and yeah it was messy...he was very well funded and very well known, but I just couldn't take it anymore. Honestly, the administration was immensely helpful.

A PhD is usually a huge help, if not a necessity, for a faculty position (especially one with a research component to the appointment), BUT this also varies by specialty. What type of residency were you looking to do? Are you more upset with your mentor, or with research as a whole? I myself had to flee a toxic lab in my second year and am much happier for it, and yeah it was messy...he was very well funded and very well known, but I just couldn't take it anymore. Honestly, the administration was immensely helpful.

I would be applying for cardiology residencies. There's certainly no assurance I would even match for one. If I did not, I would stay in the program. On one hand I want the PhD for the training and research credibility, but it seems the majority of cardiology faculty I have known don't have PhDs, and are able to pursue some clinical research. I think my issues are mostly with mentor, although it has resulted in a more general loss of motivation and interest in the research. The main complication for my situation is the fact that he's footing the bill for my tuition. How much of a setback was switching labs in terms of research and graduate milestones? How did you initiate the process and how difficult was it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in cardio, but I agree that it seems that they don't have the PhD obsession that some other specialties have.

Would it be all right if I sent you a private message with the details? I don't have that much anonymity on here anymore, but stuff like this can be touchy so talking privately is usually better :)

Sidenote though - couldn't you get some sort of GTA/GRA appointment to have your tuition paid? That's usually how it is covered in my experience (i.e. through the grad school or the department, not through the individual PI). Have you looked at grants such as those through NSF? They're competitive but quite lucrative if you're lucky enough.

Yes, of course I'd welcome it. I've looked into NSF, but the current policy precludes anyone with a professional degree, and I'm currently on a T32 which covers my salary, however not my tuition. I've applied for some internal funding opportunities with no luck so far.

Yes, of course I'd welcome it. I've looked into NSF, but the current policy precludes anyone with a professional degree, and I'm currently on a T32 which covers my salary, however not my tuition. I've applied for some internal funding opportunities with no luck so far.

Wut? That's really weird. I was on a T32 for 3 years and it covered my tuition. Hm.

Pm sent :)