Leave PhD program for PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleidoscope1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I would love all of your thoughts.

I am at a highly ranked research-heavy PhD program designed to train academics. It has been a difficult couple of years and I feel that I've lost my drive to be an academic. I've become completely disenchanted with the research process and it's pretty clear that it is not a good fit for me. I more and more find that I would love a job at a VA hospital or psychiatric hospital, a career my current program would not be supportive of. It feels pretty disingenuous to continue at my current program. I'm not very good at "faking it until you make it."

I'm honestly considering leaving my program for a highly ranked PsyD program (not an Argosy or that Saybrook horror story). Have I lost my mind? Would I be making a huge mistake?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe. Do you get a chance to do a clinical practica? Have you had this chance yet?

I am not able to do a practica/externship until my 4th year. Everybody is required to work at the program's clinic for second and third year. This is another concern because of the way my lab works. We're required to do lab-specific work 10 hours each week (other labs don't have this requirement). When you add classes, teaching, furthering my own research program, and RA supervision, it leaves very little time to do additional clinical work.

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, we have great externship opportunities. We're located near a major metro area on the east coast. However, getting an externship would leave me little time to complete my own research projects in order to graduate in a reasonable amount of time. Most of the students in my lab are on the 7 year plan (applying for internship their 7th year) because of this. I don't think I can fake it for another 5 years.

I think the best route would be to approach your advisor (or program director) and be bluntly honest with them. Express how you feel, what you desire, and ask for options that will lead to a resolution that everyone can live with.

You might be surprised how accommodating your program will be with you (seriously, they will). Beyond a matter of attrition, your professors probably want you to be happy as well as do well. Go talk to them.

Reactions: 6 users
OP, I noticed that you said in your post history that you really felt like there is a poor fit with the people in your lab, including the PI? Is it possible that you just really hate your lab, rather than disliking research itself? Working in a really poorly fitting environment with really difficult people can wear you down *really* quickly. What is your prior experience with research like? What made you initially seek out a research-heavy program? Is there any possibility of switching labs?

Also, keep in mind that VAs tend to value research in applicants and employees, so having some background in that may well help you.

As for transferring, it's difficult and not assured, but it's possible. I know a couple of people who transferred to much better fitting programs after a year or two and ended up doing really well, but they did seem to have worse luck in the transfer application than would be expected based on their stats. So, I do think being a transfer applicant, while not a complete bar, is a red flag for a lot of programs. Again, it's possible, but it's not guaranteed, and it's difficult to negotiate within a department as not to burn bridges if an attempt to transfer doesn't work out.

Good luck, and I'm sorry that your program has been such a poor fit thus far. That does suck.

Reactions: 1 user
The first couple of years of a clinical science Ph.D. (I'm reading between the lines re: your program's training model) can be tough to the point of demoralizing. But walking away from that is a huge, and potentially very expensive, decision. It's not clear why you've become less enthusiastic about research. Could you explain your situation a bit more? Have you shared your concerns with your training director, advisor, peers, etc.? What alternatives might be available to you (eg, working on a different project, moving to another lab, etc.)?

Having just dipped your toes into the world of clinical practice, I'm also curious why a clinical job at a VA or hospital appeals to you now. Sure, full-time practice is an alternative to the academic life, but it comes with its own demands and pressures. Depending on your temperament and desire for independence, you might find the working conditions of academia to be not so bad in comparison.

Don't worry about whether your career path will win your program's gold seal of approval. Of course it's prestigious to be able to say that your program's students have gone on to land tenure-track jobs at R1 institutions, etc. Realistically, though, there are any number of reasons why this isn't the case for all (or even most) graduates from a research-focused program. More importantly, this is YOUR training and no one else's. Plenty of newly trained "clinical scientists" go on to be employed in primarily clinical positions at VAs, medical centers, etc. Having the research credentials gives you an edge when applying for such positions, particularly when they come with a faculty appointment at an academic affiliate.

Do you prefer the clinical work over the research? Then PsyD may be best option!

MWu

It may be you are going through mid program feelings of uncertainty rather than type of programs. Most doctoral programs due to length of program and phases of continuation is high stress level and some give up. I believe it happens in any doctoral degree regardless of type of program. Most programs have private practice psychologist who will see students at reduced fee or the program has funding for these services. This could help you get refocused and help with career decisions. Some of the best psychologist were research oriented and then went through re specialization programs or did clinical internships and postdoctoral Fellowships.

My program was a PsyD Clinical Psychology program and we were able to complete courses in other university PhD Clinical Psychology programs through a consortium arrangement for State Doctoral Clinical Psychology programs. I took a number of psychopharmacology and neuropsychology courses via a different university PhD Clinical Psychology program in my State and conversely some PhD Clinical Psychology Students were allowed to take courses in the PsyD Clinical Psychology program. Some of the PsyD students wanted additional research training and they were on research teams at the PhD programs. The PsyD program had three psychodynamic faculty and some of the PhD programs did not have a psychodynamic faculty member so they were able to take courses in psychodynamic theory at the PsyD program.

Since you are beginning third year my guess is your program would be supportive of allowing you additional Clinical options. Since you are this far along my guess is they would rather you complete the program.

Last edited:
I think the best route would be to approach your advisor (or program director) and be bluntly honest with them. Express how you feel, what you desire, and ask for options that will lead to a resolution that everyone can live with.

You might be surprised how accommodating your program will be with you (seriously, they will). Beyond a matter of attrition, your professors probably want you to be happy as well as do well. Go talk to them.
Yeah, this. Have a conversation about it before you leave if you are really miserable there. It's possible to make adjustments in most programs.

Switching is a pain. You don't know how many classes will transfer, you have no guarantee of being any happier elsewhere. Try to find a solution first, there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does a part of that post make sense to you?

The issue has been discussed so many times on here that it's not really worth more than "no."
Like you said, It's been discussed, and there is no agreeing. I won't engage anymore than just saying I disagree with you.

brace-yourself-another-tafnuf.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

I am at a highly ranked research-heavy PhD program designed to train academics. It has been a difficult couple of years and I feel that I've lost my drive to be an academic. I've become completely disenchanted with the research process and it's pretty clear that it is not a good fit for me. I more and more find that I would love a job at a VA hospital or psychiatric hospital, a career my current program would not be supportive of. It feels pretty disingenuous to continue at my current program. I'm not very good at "faking it until you make it."

I'm honestly considering leaving my program for a highly ranked PsyD program (not an Argosy or that Saybrook horror story). Have I lost my mind? Would I be making a huge mistake?

Switching would be a bad, bad, BAD idea IMO, as it will put a red flag on your future job and internship applications, and I do not think it will reduce your stress levels. Psy.D. programs have their share of crap that you have to deal with as well, and re-applying, moving, accruing more debt, and adding additional years to your training would not be worth it to me.

The great thing about psychology is that there are so many things you can do with the degree: therapy, assessment, research, teaching, program evaluations, etc. As stated before, I would talk to your advisor and try your best to tailor your remaining time in the program to get a lot of clinical training.

Reactions: 2 users
I think considering the amount of time and money you've already spent in your program I agree with talking to your advisor about your concerns. Switching may get you to clinical work faster but you will most likely not graduate faster because the majority of your classes probably won't transfer and you'll be on another 7 year plan anyway.

Also, is switching labs an option? I did that my 3rd year and it made a world of difference in my quality of life and overall direction of research/career options.

Don't switch. Do what you can to get out with your degree and then seek out additional clinical development, if necessary. I went to a so-called balanced program (it wasn't--they only wanted to produce researchers) with hopes of becoming a professor. After seeing what miserable lives the professors had, I switched to more clinical career goals. This wasn't supported by my program and that was hard. But I did what I could to finish so I could just get on with my life. It was a dark ugly time in my life, but when I was done, I could do what I wanted. If you leave now, you'll have to start over and maybe end up somewhere that will result in debt.

Sorry you are in this position!

I am not able to do a practica/externship until my 4th year. Everybody is required to work at the program's clinic for second and third year.

This is actually very concerning to me, even though I am supportive of the clinical science training model. Part of training should be to train in the kind of places you will actually work and where psychology has to integrate/collaborate with multiple other health professions. Primarily training in isolation seems quite silly in the context of how the healthcare system actually works.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I left a PhD program after a single semester to go to a PsyD program. I also declined a tenure track position last year. For me, it was the right choice.

Like you said, It's been discussed, and there is no agreeing. I won't engage anymore than just saying I disagree with you.

There should be agreeing, bc there are data. If you want to perseverate in a personal myth about PhD vs. PsyD, that might be fun for you but it's not supported by data.
https://appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2012Part3.aspx

30. Doctoral practicum hours reported on the AAPI:

Ph.D. Psy.D.
Doctoral Intervention Hours
Mean 661 621
St. Dev. 426 417
Median 501 432

Doctoral Assessment Hours
Mean 231 177
St. Dev. 206 172
Median 112 68

Doctoral Supervision Hours
Mean 381 305
St. Dev. 233 196
Median 285 200

Reactions: 1 users

For what it's worth I think it would be a big mistake. There is a great need for practitioners who utilize the philosophy of science (and are familiar with evidence-based principles of behavior change) in the field. After you graduate from your PhD program, this can be a rewarding path to take. I, too, became somewhat disenchanted by the 'business of research' that I saw operating at my graduate program but it did not turn me off to the application of science to the practice of professional psychology--quite the opposite. I went on to start and direct an APA-approved internship program at a state developmental center where I was able to train interns in important principles such as "fallibility is the hallmark of science" and "hypotheses are always tested in bundles" as well as logical fallacies that haunt the daily practice of mental health (e.g., the fallacy of affirming the consequent, confirmation bias, etc.). I can identify with being disenchanted with a research program that only pretends to be scientific in nature (but is really more about the business / politics of publishing and research) but please don't let that poor instantiation of what it means to apply scientific principles and integrity to the practice of clinical psychology turn you off to the promise of being someone who can bring about a purer representation of that ideal once you graduate and get licensed. As an analogy, there are plenty of mega-churches filled with people who are anything but spiritual in their approach to life. That doesn't invalidate the fundamental principles of the religious teachings of that tradition. Get your degree and then go out and 'do it better' than you saw it done in your program :)

Switching would be a bad, bad, BAD idea IMO, as it will put a red flag on your future job and internship applications, and I do not think it will reduce your stress levels. Psy.D. programs have their share of crap that you have to deal with as well, and re-applying, moving, accruing more debt, and adding additional years to your training would not be worth it to me.

Eh, we had folks when I was doing internship reviews that switched. It happens for a variety of reasons (POI leaves and you go with them, lots of other stuff). Honestly I don't recall us giving it a single thought. Maybe other people have different experiences.

I gathered that OP was talking about a Baylor/Rutgers-type PsyD ("highly ranked").

There should be agreeing, bc there are data. If you want to perseverate in a personal myth about PhD vs. PsyD, that might be fun for you but it's not supported by data.
https://appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2012Part3.aspx

30. Doctoral practicum hours reported on the AAPI:

Ph.D. Psy.D.
Doctoral Intervention Hours
Mean 661 621
St. Dev. 426 417
Median 501 432

Doctoral Assessment Hours
Mean 231 177
St. Dev. 206 172
Median 112 68

Doctoral Supervision Hours
Mean 381 305
St. Dev. 233 196
Median 285 200

Word...

Right. I have run across colleagues over the years who have flatly stated that a PsyD program provides more practical/applied training (i.e., more 'hands on' clinical experience) but I've always found that when we started breaking down the actual number of hours of practicum between programs, this assertion was not borne out in reality.

I'm also reminded of what the Mr. Miagi character says to the kid in The Karate Kid movie when he has doubts about his ability to fight. Something along the lines of "don't worry about how much karate you have learned, focus on the quality of your training."

Having to do a year or two of work in the university clinic is not unusual. I agree with the aspect, you want to make sure that you have adequately trained your students to a point before sending them out. As long as you have great externship options after that, you'll be fine. As an aside, I have almost universally been told that year 2 or 3 was miserable for most in graduate training, and that things got immensely better after that. Have you spoken with more advanced students in the program about the progression?

I left a PhD program after a single semester to go to a PsyD program. I also declined a tenure track position last year. For me, it was the right choice.

What an interesting outcome to consider. It's almost like it's not always about getting in a funded program or the best APA internship or getting the PhD gold star or just following the numbers. Those are good things, but it's about finding the program that's right FOR YOU. Something not always about numbers in a subjective matter.... Wow, what an amazing concept that some people just cannot understand.

Having said that OP, I don't think you should quit because you're already in the program and it's a huge pain in the ass to apply again. You're already there and already invested so much time. See if you can steer it as much as possible, grit your teeth and hang in there. Either way, I hope you find peace in your program.

What an interesting outcome to consider. It's almost like it's not always about getting in a funded program or the best APA internship or getting the PhD gold star or just following the numbers. Those are good things, but it's about finding the program that's right FOR YOU. Something not always about numbers in a subjective matter.... Wow, what an amazing concept that some people just cannot understand.

Yes, we can always point out anecdotal data. It's pretty easy. And, we also are just fine with the reputable PsyD's. Feel free to look through past posts and see if you can find us bashing Rutgers, Baylor and the handful of others. We bash the mills. What about those numbers? What about the significant numbers of attrition individuals? Who are now in high 5 and 6 figure debt with no degree? What about that is hard to understand?

Having said that OP, I don't think you should quit because you're already in the program and it's a huge pain in the ass to apply again. You're already there and already invested so much time. See if you can steer it as much as possible, grit your teeth and hang in there. Either way, I hope you find peace in your program.

Of course. But the likelihood of success is increased when we follow data. @473912 As much as people don't want to believe it, they are "average" and an"average" outcome is most likely. PsyDr outcome is not "average, right?

Besides this point, your statement that Psy.d programs provide better or more clinical training is simply incorrect. This is a yes or no question, and by definition, is falsifiable. The data do not support your statement. This is not really debatable.

Yes, we can always point out anecdotal data. It's pretty easy. And, we also are just fine with the reputable PsyD's. Feel free to look through past posts and see if you can find us bashing Rutgers, Baylor and the handful of others. We bash the mills. What about those numbers? What about the significant numbers of attrition individuals? Who are now in high 5 and 6 figure debt with no degree? What about that is hard to understand?
The OP never said he was going to go to a mill. He said he was thinking of "leaving my program for a highly ranked PsyD program (not an Argosy or that Saybrook horror story)". So responding as if he is not productive at all.

Of course. But the likelihood of success is increased when we follow data. @473912 As much as people don't want to believe it, they are "average" and an"average" outcome is most likely. PsyDr outcome is not "average, right?

Besides this point, your statement that Psy.d programs provide better or more clinical training is simply incorrect. This is a yes or no question, and by definition, is falsifiable. The data do not support your statement. This is not really debatable.

My statement? I never said those words nor is that the argument I'm making. The only thing I'm stating is that yes, programs are different in style. To avoid years in a program he hates, MAYBE the OP should consider changing programs. MAYBE he would be happier. I'm not talking efficacy at all. I'm talking about a subjective matter and avoiding burning out anymore than he already has. Like I said, I wouldn't. I'd hang in there, but that's just me.

The OP never said he was going to go to a mill. He said he was thinking of "leaving my program for a highly ranked PsyD program (not an Argosy or that Saybrook horror story)". So responding as if he is not productive at all.

Yes, and people are not saying "stay at the PhD, it is the only way!" Transferring programs in general is hard. I'd give the same advice I did whether or not they were transferring to another PhD or a PsyD. Also, getting into a highly ranked PsyD will likely be just as difficult as getting into another reputable PhD. It's difficult, will likely be expensive, and can be a negative in internship applications if not handled delicately. Most people here are not arguing PhD vs PsyD, they're bringing up things to consider in staying vs transferring. You turned this one into the PsyD/PhD debate, not us

Not to mention the possibility that, once OP gets to a different program, the experience may be just as unsatisfying (or even less so) than the current situation. Not sure if the hypothetical 'different' program experience would necessarily be preferable to the current one or, if so, how OP would really know this before going there.

Also, don't think most of the posters are talking down about the PsyD career path or options, they seem to be providing data relevant to assertions that have been made and, oh hell...cue some Mr. Miagi:

Daniel: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?
Miyagi: Canvas. JC Penney, $3.98. You like?
Daniel: [laughs] No, I meant...
Miyagi: In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope to hold up pants.
[laughs; then, seriously]
Miyagi: Daniel-san...
[taps his head]
Miyagi: Karate here.
[taps his heart]
[points to his belt]
Miyagi: Karate never here. Understand?

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, and people are not saying "stay at the PhD, it is the only way!" Transferring programs in general is hard. I'd give the same advice I did whether or not they were transferring to another PhD or a PsyD. Also, getting into a highly ranked PsyD will likely be just as difficult as getting into another reputable PhD. It's difficult, will likely be expensive, and can be a negative in internship applications if not handled delicately. Most people here are not arguing PhD vs PsyD, they're bringing up things to consider in staying vs transferring. You turned this one into the PsyD/PhD debate, not us
Yep. By solely considering the alternative I've turned it into this debate? I'd have the same advice if the OP wanted to stop and get his MS. MAYBE that's the right thing for the OP and he or she should consider it. PsyD vs PhD had nothing to do with my post. I never even mentioned "PsyD" in my previous posts and I wasn't the one that rushed to the internet for stats to justify and post quality of PhD vs PsyD training.

I don't think I could have been any more equanimous in my posts. I've given my $.02. I'm out.

Also, don't think most of the posters are talking down about the PsyD career path or options, they seem to be providing data relevant to assertions that have been made and, oh hell...cue some Mr. Miagi:

Daniel: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?
Miyagi: Canvas. JC Penney, $3.98. You like?
Daniel: [laughs] No, I meant...
Miyagi: In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope to hold up pants.
[laughs; then, seriously]
Miyagi: Daniel-san...
[taps his head]
[taps his heart]
[points to his belt]
Miyagi: Karate never here. Understand?

I am thinking this has some relevance here. Don't ask me to explain...

Yes, the sarcasm in that post and potshot is the textbook definition of equanimity.

First, I'm sorry this turned into a PhD vs. PsyD debate.

If it makes any difference, I would only consider Baylor or Rutgers.

Regarding talking to my advisor, this actually terrifies me. Frankly, I got accepted into a program that I should not have gotten accepted into. Please trust that this isn't imposter syndrome, it's the truth. I would have been better served by a more balance program. I received a call from Ms. Big Name and couldn't refuse the offer, which was my mistake. I'm a bit in over my head here. On top of it, the other grad students in my lab are very competitive, manipulative, and steal ideas while acting like your best friend. The problem is that I am terrified to have this conversation with my advisor. She's incredibly intimidating and I wouldn't even know how to start.

There is a lab that I would actually consider switching into that I think could be a better fit. However, I worry that I haven't made the best impression on the faculty. As I mentioned, I'm in over my head here and that has resulted in some avoidance behaviors/cruising by on my part. It's possible that it's because I'm in the wrong lab with a bad fit and if I was in another, I'd actually thrive. But I don't know if they would see it that way.

I would really love advice from those of you who switched. How did you bring it up? How did it happen? What was it like to be around your old advisor and lab mates? I'm getting a belly ache just thinking about it.

I think a lot of this depends on the culture of the program. We had two people switch labs during the years while I was at my program, one being my good friend and roommate. Our culture was pretty supportive, so it was a relatively seamless process for him, and he was much happier and productive after he made the switch into a lab that better fit his interests and future directions. We talked about it quite a bit. For him, the most important part was speaking honestly and plainly about the problem (lack of fit, changing interests and career plan, etc) with his current and future proposed advisor. I would hope that your faculty would be willing to look at your past experience and plans for future career and advise you on what's the best plan of action.

It sucks to be in that situation, but if at all possible for your career prospects and personal well-being, I'd try to stick it out. A full-on transfer can be difficult, you will likely lose time, and the grass is not always greener on that side of the fence. There's always a chance you run into similar issues. Best of luck with this, it isn't an easy situation.

the other grad students in my lab are very competitive, manipulative, and steal ideas while acting like your best friend.

Welcome to all of psychology.

This indirect way of communication is in direct conflict to everything we are taught about communication from assertiveness training to Ellis. But it is endemic to the field.

There are some very honestly nice people in the field, but imo they are in the vast minority.

I've known many people who switched labs. It's always gone fine to tolerable (I'm sure that's not universal but I've never personally known anyone for whom it turned into a firestorm). WN is right that just being up front is always the best policy; the original prof thinking people are going behind their back is much more likely to feel hurtful.

If you do switch labs I would definitely frame it (convincingly) in terms of your evolving research interests moving you into areas that are more consistent with the research focus in the lab you want to move into. Wouldn't want to injure a narcissistic faculty member.

Welcome to all of psychology.

This indirect way of communication is in direct conflict to everything we are taught about communication from assertiveness training to Ellis. But it is endemic to the field.

There are some very honestly nice people in the field, but imo they are in the vast minority.

This has not been my experience at all throughout my training, whether it be grad school, internship, postdoc, and my current position. The vast majority of people I have worked with have been great and communication has rarely been a problem. There have definitely been some bad experiences, but those have been the very slim minority in the dozens of people I have worked closely with over the years.

The problem is that I am terrified to have this conversation with my advisor. She's incredibly intimidating and I wouldn't even know how to start.

One thing that might help is looking into past graduates of your advisor. Any established advisor, no matter how research-focused, will almost certainly have a subset of their students go the clinical route. If that's the case, your advisor has had this conversation or has known some of her students go into clinical work. It's better to have the conversation than have your advisor notice avoidance or lack of commitment and made the wrong attribution about it.

I would really love advice from those of you who switched. How did you bring it up? How did it happen? What was it like to be around your old advisor and lab mates? I'm getting a belly ache just thinking about it.

I'm not very good at confrontation and my original lab/advisor was really supportive of me before I even started school and when I first got to campus so it was difficult for me to approach him to talk to him about it as I was concerned about his feelings. My current advisor is also considered to be one of the more harsh/old school type professors at the school and I was scared that he might reject me or chew me out in some way. In the end I made sure that I went into each meeting prepared with a very basic and blunt reason for why I wanted to switch so that I wouldn't trip up too much on my words and started the conversation with that first so I couldn't avoid it. I also spoke with my new advisor first to make sure that I didn't open up a can of worms I couldn't close without a mess. I believe my words were along the lines of "My research interests have changed and I think that switching labs will better fit the direction my dissertation and career is going in."

The reality is that a huge part of graduate school, especially a psychology program, is learning to effectively navigate many difficult situations to further yourself as a human being and thus clinician. This is a good learning experience for you that you'll be able to use later on for one reason or another. And if all else fails, what advice would you give a friend in this situation? Chances are you already have an idea what you should do, it's just a function of finding the courage to do it.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this further.

Thank you so much for all of your help. It really means a lot.

I think overall fit with lab and mentor are a big issue so switching labs may be the best option. Do you think it is better to discuss this with my advisor or potential advisor first to see if this is an option?

I'm not very good at confrontation and my original lab/advisor was really supportive of me before I even started school and when I first got to campus so it was difficult for me to approach him to talk to him about it as I was concerned about his feelings. My current advisor is also considered to be one of the more harsh/old school type professors at the school and I was scared that he might reject me or chew me out in some way. In the end I made sure that I went into each meeting prepared with a very basic and blunt reason for why I wanted to switch so that I wouldn't trip up too much on my words and started the conversation with that first so I couldn't avoid it. I also spoke with my new advisor first to make sure that I didn't open up a can of worms I couldn't close without a mess. I believe my words were along the lines of "My research interests have changed and I think that switching labs will better fit the direction my dissertation and career is going in."

The reality is that a huge part of graduate school, especially a psychology program, is learning to effectively navigate many difficult situations to further yourself as a human being and thus clinician. This is a good learning experience for you that you'll be able to use later on for one reason or another. And if all else fails, what advice would you give a friend in this situation? Chances are you already have an idea what you should do, it's just a function of finding the courage to do it.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this further.

Yes! Absolutely this. This is the same situation I am in, especially my advisor being the harsh/old school type. Thank you so much. It really helps to know that others have been in similar positions and it has worked out for them. It's helping build that courage that I am severely lacking. :)