Leaving a freestanding surgery center at the end of the day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tuohy

Vigilante
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to what other anesthesiologists do re: leaving a freestanding surgery center at the end of the day while patients are still in recovery. Do you sign them out and leave before they are physically out of the building? Or, do you wait until they are out of the building (ie getting into their car)? Is anyone aware of a national policy/guideline which states what anesthesiologists should do in this scenario? Just want to poll this forum to see what is out there. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious as to what other anesthesiologists do re: leaving a freestanding surgery center at the end of the day while patients are still in recovery. Do you sign them out and leave before they are physically out of the building? Or, do you wait until they are out of the building (ie getting into their car)? Is anyone aware of a national policy/guideline which states what anesthesiologists should do in this scenario? Just want to poll this forum to see what is out there. Thanks in advance!
I leave when they're in their car and out of the parking lot. I'm a bit on the paranoid side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
It's our policy that we can leave when the last patient is outta the building. The exception is patients who are 23h "aftercare" patients. We can leave as soon as those are transferred to "aftercare" status. Doesn't make a lotta sense to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I often bolt when they are getting dressed. The PACU RNs have my cell phone on a post it and I take care of them every Christmas.

we leave when patient has met recovery criteria from anesthesia, usually within 30-60 minutes of coming to PACU. We do not necessarily stay til they are leaving the building as they may have surgeon orders that require them to stay longer or just waiting for them to void or what not. We still have pagers and can be reached if needed after that. In nearly 10 years of working at least once a week there I've only been called one time after leaving at the end of the day and I've never had to go back.

I leave when Iv is out and they are dressed.

We leave when the patient has met Phase II criteria.

I change out of my scrubs when they are getting dressed and leave when they are getting wheeled out.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
That is my current approach-thank you to all for your responses!

Policy here is to stay until they are discharged and out of the building.

Ditto. You can do all the ancillary end-of-day routines, but you ought to stick around.

How long do your patients take to go from "able to be discharged" to "discharged"?

At one of the surgical centers I’m at, nurses get paid hourly. You can tell that they prolong the discharge of the last patient of the day...frustrating

I leave when the last patient goes from phase 1 to phase 2 recovery. They are fully awake, ready to sit in a chair, drink or eat something, get their IV out and go home.