Leaving a practice question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sidehatch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm leaving my first job out of residency for a new one in my home state. My current employer owes me quite a bit of bonus money they couldn't pay earlier this year due to "funds being low from slow early part of year" (one of the reasons I'm leaving). I'm wondering if I should make a stink now about it or wait for them to make good on it? If they don't make good and try to screw me out of the money, obviously they are in breach of contract and I can sue them for what they owe me. But with lawyer costs etc, is the juice worth the squeeze? Anybody been here before or know someone who has? I feel like there is always a story of someone getting screwed over somehow and I'm wondering if I'm heading towards the victim list. Thoughts . . . advice?

Members don't see this ad.

When are you leaving this first job? How much does the practice owe you? 10k? 50k? 100k? There should be something in your contract about the time of the payout of the bonus. I would notify them immediately if they are in breach of contract; otherwise things will drag out.

I can't imagine that a practice would not have enough in their bank account to pay an associate's bonus. Especially since the determination of a bonus is from the fact that they profited from you. Definitely collect that bonus before you leave. It should not cost very much to collect, and typically if they are in the wrong, they would have to pay your legal fees anyways. Unless you didn't specify that in your contract.

Leaving in about 8 weeks. They owe me close to 70k. Rollover from year 2014 and 1st qtr 2015. The payout is supposed to be within 1st week or so of close of year and qtr so they are in breach on both accounts.

I've thought about trying to get some of it now and the rest later so as too not make the last couple months awkward, but your advice makes sense. They are in breach and they should deal now and not later. Not sure about legal fees in the contract, but any ideas what it would cost to legally get what is owed if they decide to play hardball?

Leaving in about 8 weeks. They owe me close to 70k. Rollover from year 2014 and 1st qtr 2015. The payout is supposed to be within 1st week or so of close of year and qtr so they are in breach on both accounts.

I've thought about trying to get some of it now and the rest later so as too not make the last couple months awkward, but your advice makes sense. They are in breach and they should deal now and not later. Not sure about legal fees in the contract, but any ideas what it would cost to legally get what is owed if they decide to play hardball?

You are leaving in 8 weeks -- just notify them now that they are in breach of contract and you expect payment in an expeditious manner. If they still vacillate, then have a lawyer draw up a notification letter. That should cost maybe $300-500 depending on if the lawyer needs to review your work contract (which takes like 20 minutes to do). I would make them pay your legal fees too.

70k is a lot of $$ to not be paid for >5 months now! There is a bunch of interest that you have lost out on as well. Just state what you want in a civilized (but firm) manner. But don't be afraid to threaten legal action if needed.

Reactions: 1 users