Leaving CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MV777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you leave CVS for 35,000 less a year and losing benefits for a job with significantly less stress?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
35k? hell no. Loans aint gonna pay themselves.

Would you leave CVS for 35,000 less a year for a job with significantly less stress?
after putting in 10 years with CVS and debt-free, yes i would. Cant see myself doing this anymore at 50 years old.

Members don't see this ad :)
My former PIC did this and says it was worth it. However he had to sell his house because he couldn't afford the mortgage anymore.

Last edited:
You need to consider total compensation including benefits. Not hating your job is priceless but health care in the U.S. is expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot to factor. You need to see what your monthly and yearly spending is. 35k from one person to another is different. Do you have loans? Mortgage? Expensive car payments? Do you go on vacation often? To me 35k is a decent amount of money. You can put a good amount towards loans and vacations. I'm mid 20's and can see myself doing this till at least mid 30's. Hopefully by then my house is paid off, cars and loans. Then 35k would seem like nothing and I would consider jumping ship. I live in a hourly state so at that age I wouldn't even mind floating and working 3 12's a week and calling it a day with that OT. But you really have to ask yourself can you afford to let 35k and those benefits go year after year? At this stage of my life I wouldn't nor would I want to.

Would you leave CVS for 35,000 less a year and losing benefits for a job with significantly less stress?

I am trying to do that right now. 40k a year less but with benefits. State job M-F 830-5. Retail will always be there but the "unicorn" jobs may not in 5 to 10 years, especially with all the new grads. I am staff right now at CVS and I have weekly conference calls on my days off. I am doing more now than I was doing as PIC with Wags. You can always make money, you can't buy time.

I am staff right now at CVS and I have weekly conference calls on my days off. .
do u think your sup will make conference calls on their day off? on their vacation? on their day off when u email them, do they respond? obviously not.. clearly you're overclocking your butts for nothing. other staffs at other stores dont do it. i have not dialed in to conference call for 3 years. not even on my 7 days off...

I am trying to do that right now. 40k a year less but with benefits. State job M-F 830-5. Retail will always be there but the "unicorn" jobs may not in 5 to 10 years, especially with all the new grads. I am staff right now at CVS and I have weekly conference calls on my days off. I am doing more now than I was doing as PIC with Wags. You can always make money, you can't buy time.
You sup is putting staff pharmacists on conf calls? Lol

The way it should work is Rx Managers should make a good amount over staff. I'm talking at least 6-8$/hr more. Staff pharmacists should just keep the place going. Just verify and don't leave it a hell whole. PIC should be the demaning one. Conf calls, allign your teams and focus on areas you can improve, hence why they should make much more than a staff. To me a staff is i'm clocking in and out.

I've done it. Totally worth it.

If you are paying 30% in taxes then you are leaving $25 k on the table which is still a lot of course.

Before you leave, consider:

- maxing out your 401 k ($18 k)
- wait until you get your 401 k match money (quarterly match?)
- take care of any medical/dental issues
- see if you can max out your HSA
- see if you can work per diem, just in case things don't work out at your new job. This way you can say you are still employed at CVS while you are looking for another job.

You will be making less but less stress is good for your health and stress causes you to age. Come back and check out your retail friends in 5 years and you will know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
If you are paying 30% in taxes then you are leaving $25 k on the table which is still a lot of course.

Before you leave, consider:

- maxing out your 401 k ($18 k)
- wait until you get your 401 k match money (quarterly match?)
- take care of any medical/dental issues
- see if you can max out your HSA
- see if you can work per diem, just in case things don't work out at your new job. This way you can say you are still employed at CVS while you are looking for another job.

You will be making less but less stress is good for your health and stress causes you to age. Come back and check out your retail friends in 5 years and you will know what I mean.

Good advice, like I said it's definitely person to person when to make the move. If you're young and can handle the stress retail is the way to go especially with the pay and massive amount of OT still available in some places. If you're older with kids maybe it's time to jump ship. Either way 40hrs a week and 8 hour shifts seem like cake considering since I been doing 55/hr since I was hired. 40hrs a week one day will seem like part time to me lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice, like I said it's definitely person to person when to make the move. If you're young and can handle the stress retail is the way to go especially with the pay and massive amount of OT still available in some places. If you're older with kids maybe it's time to jump ship. Either way 40hrs a week and 8 hour shifts seem like cake considering since I been doing 55/hr since I was hired. 40hrs a week one day will seem like part time to me lol

Even if you are single and young, working a lot of OT gets old. I can understand if you want to pay off your student loan ASAP. If not then what is the point? So you can buy a big house? Everybody knows you are just a pharmacist. Everybody knows you are taking debt up to your waist just to buy the house.

In the long run, what really matter is productivity. Working OT does not change your productivity. You are just trading in your time and youth for money. In the mean time, life will pass you by. Your friends, who are making 50 k a year, will get married and have kids while you are working at CVS on a Friday night so you can post pictures of your big house on FB.

Reactions: 5 users
Depends.
If you hate retail and want to start in a diff field (lets say you got an offer) then sure.
Some ppl think they can get a diff job once you reach your 40s or 50s. Hey guess what? you might be little too late to switch your field at that point.
Of course there are always an exception, but majority of the cases, you will not get out of that retail jail.
I have a friend who has been working 3 years for CVS and he wants to leave the company so bad trying to break into hospital, ltc, or home infusion b/c he gets so worn out after the work.
He literally does nothing after the work on busy days (which is like 3-4 days out of the week).
If you like retail and want to stay in similar retail setting pharmacy, then I would say stay.
If not, then leave and don't even look back.

The way it should work is Rx Managers should make a good amount over staff. I'm talking at least 6-8$/hr more. Staff pharmacists should just keep the place going. Just verify and don't leave it a hell whole. PIC should be the demaning one. Conf calls, allign your teams and focus on areas you can improve, hence why they should make much more than a staff. To me a staff is i'm clocking in and out.
Depends on the Sup. If it was clock in and out in my district I might still be with CVS.

A lot to factor. You need to see what your monthly and yearly spending is. 35k from one person to another is different. Do you have loans? Mortgage? Expensive car payments? Do you go on vacation often? To me 35k is a decent amount of money. You can put a good amount towards loans and vacations. I'm mid 20's and can see myself doing this till at least mid 30's. Hopefully by then my house is paid off, cars and loans. Then 35k would seem like nothing and I would consider jumping ship. I live in a hourly state so at that age I wouldn't even mind floating and working 3 12's a week and calling it a day with that OT. But you really have to ask yourself can you afford to let 35k and those benefits go year after year? At this stage of my life I wouldn't nor would I want to.
90k in loans still ....

Yeah its crazy right? She put me at a bad store and I told her we were barely finishing that 9PM that are due and she told me since we are "salary" that we should be staying until the queue is completely cleaned. I will not stay or come in early. Lets just say I'm trying to get out ASAP. She know's the market is saturated and people will work the job.

Yeah its crazy right? She put me at a bad store and I told her we were barely finishing that 9PM that are due and she told me since we are "salary" that we should be staying until the queue is completely cleaned. I will not stay or come in early. Lets just say I'm trying to get out ASAP. She know's the market is saturated and people will work the job.
No that's ridiculous. If your Salary come when you're supposed to and leave when you're supposed to. Work your butt off during your shift to ensure you get the most done but leave when your shift is done. We aren't slaves here working for free.

I just don't understand how Sups and DM's can't take care of there best pharmacists. Constantly losing there best and they keep the ****ty ones because they don't ask them to do a thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup.
This is pretty much what I did.
Wife's benefits ended up being significantly better than Target's anyway.

How do you know the new job would be significantly less stressful?

i walked away from +$30k...... i am so much happier with my lifestyle and actually enjoy work now. plus I was taxed so much that really it seems to end up being not much of a difference. when i was making 30k plus, i was constantly working that i never really had time to spend my money after paying off my debts, i was burnt out working crazy hours. for me quality of life trumps money.

Reactions: 2 users
No that's ridiculous. If your Salary come when you're supposed to and leave when you're supposed to. Work your butt off during your shift to ensure you get the most done but leave when your shift is done. We aren't slaves here working for free.

I just don't understand how Sups and DM's can't take care of there best pharmacists. Constantly losing there best and they keep the ****ty ones because they don't ask them to do a thing.

How are you actually surprised? Better pharmacists tend to have better options. Bad pharmacists hang on for dear life.

How much is your sanity and quality of life worth?