Leaving SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really believe there is no difference, feel free to report the post. I stand by my assessment of the behavior. My post history here stands for itself in terms of my voice and intent.

DO NOT REPORT THE POST.

PLEASE.

Lucid, I'm joking. No way am I ever gonna "teacher teacher, look" another member. WTF

Members don't see this ad.

Is nobody gonna touch this?

Good post though, agree 100%

I'm surprised it didn't censor it. I write words like that a lot because it's how I speak, but they always get changed to dingus or ****.

For the record: I'm not going to report your name calling, because quite honestly I think its a breathe of fresh air. I am totally fine with you expressing yourself as you just did.

Thank you for helping me make the point. There's nothing quite like speaking your mind, Lucid. That's what I was saying.

:confused:

If you really believe there is no difference, feel free to report the post. I stand by my assessment of the behavior. My post history here stands for itself in terms of my voice and intent.

Agreed. Definitely a huge difference between saying someone is stupid and saying someone is acting stupidly.

Reactions: 1 users
Calling someone stupid and telling them to "stop acting dumb" are not the same.

The latter insinuates the recipient of the phrase is not stupid but is acting that way for an ulterior motive. In this case, to get a rise out of the original speaker.

Now back to the post before the thread gets locked.
Hold on let me try.

Someone that reads Psai's post, and thinks he is under the impression that the US Constitution should be protecting him from SDN mod censorship, is being an idiot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold on let me try.

Someone that reads Psai's post, and thinks he is under the impression that the US Constitution should be protecting him from SDN mod censorship, is being an idiot.

1) Psai didn't infer that in his post IMHO. People who responded did.

2) You think "idiot" is the same as "intentionally obtuse" in both content and meaning?

Reactions: 1 user
Hold on let me try.

Someone who repeatedly posts that the First Amendment applies to SDN after multiple posters point out that it doesn't apply to private internet fora is acting obtuse, intentionally or not. Whether or not they actually are obtuse is a different story.

Reactions: 2 users
1) Psai didn't infer that in his post IMHO. People who responded did.

2) You think "idiot" is the same as "intentionally obtuse" in both content and meaning?
1) Where? Which post?

2) I think idiot means the same as obtuse, and I did not specify intentions.

There is some serious CARS potential in this post...

Reactions: 10 users
1) Where? Which post?

2) I think idiot means the same as obtuse, and I did not specify intentions.

They don't mean the same thing necessarily. Being obtuse means you are failing or being slow to understand something in an irritating way. An idiot is a stupid person. You don't have to be an idiot to be obtuse, particularly if it's intentional.

Edit: also I think you're trolling this thread lol.

ac68f8ad7c5ff861b927cec3c10f1c81_mj-meme-michael-jackson-popcorn_420-315.png

Reactions: 8 users
IMG_8822.JPG
They don't mean the same thing necessarily. Being obtuse means you are failing or being slow to understand something in an irritating way. An idiot is a stupid person. You don't have to be an idiot to be obtuse, particularly if it's intentional.

Edit: also I think you're trolling this thread lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what constructive measures do people think could address perceived hyper-sensitive moderation of the forum?

So what constructive measures do people think could address perceived hyper-sensitive moderation of the forum?

I think posters are too sensitive, personally. I also think the report feature gets abused and misused, and mods who don't have infinite time on their hands sometimes just take the report at face value. When someone reports your post because they don't like that you called them out on the flaws in their argument or because you criticized their political party, you probably shouldn't just get a blanket probation (unless you did it in a douche canoe manner).

Easy, change their perception. Prefrontal lobotomies on the house!

I was half serious with that post, tbh. Just mod it like you used to

I think posters are too sensitive, personally. I also think the report feature gets abused and misused, and mods who don't have infinite time on their hands sometimes just take the report at face value. When someone reports your post because they don't like that you called them out on the flaws in their argument or because you criticized their political party, you probably shouldn't just get a blanket probation (unless you did it in a douche canoe manner).
Fair point,

I can't say I've ever used the report feature except for only particularly belligerent troll.
I'd only really consider using it if serious lewd or prejudicial behavior were apparent.

Then again I was on sports teams and Did morning PT with the ROTC at my school.... so maybe I'm used to blunt speech...

Fair point,

I can't say I've ever used the report feature except for only particularly belligerent troll.
I'd only really consider using it if serious lewd or prejudicial behavior were apparent.

Then again I was on sports teams and Did morning PT with the ROTC at my school.... so maybe I'm used to blunt speech...
Pretty much anyone with time on other forums (Reddit is a great example) or playing video games online/anonymously should have a much thicker skin than SDN collectively seems to.

Fair point,

I've only used it to report grossly offensive behavior and harassment.

Pretty much anyone with time on other forums (Reddit is a great example) or playing video games online/anonymously should have a much thicker skin than SDN collectively seems to.

I've been called things by division commanders and instructors that would get you insta-banned here. It's just words. But harassment and being a huge douche canoe are different than being blunt.

LOL. Alright I'm sorry for cryin out loud.

Everyone, take a chill pill.

Things I am literally doing while also posting on SDN right now

-Watching yesterday's' episode of Dancing With the Stars
-Eating/Drinking a milkshake (one of those ones made with liquid nitrogen so requires a hence "eating")
-Petting purry and snuggly kitty who is curled up next to me

Not sure I could be much more chill at the moment honestly.

Reactions: 5 users
Things I am literally doing while also posting on SDN right now

-Watching yesterday's' episode of Dancing With the Stars
-Eating/Drinking a milkshake (one of those ones made with liquid nitrogen so requires a hence "eating")
-Petting purry and snuggly kitty who is curled up next to me

Not sure I could be much more chill at the moment honestly.

Benzodiazepines

Reactions: 4 users
The things I've been called...

I've only used it to report grossly offensive behavior and harassment.
Am I the only one who uses it to report things I think violate the TOS?

The things I've been called...

Am I the only one who uses it to report things I think violate the TOS?

Freak7, the hero SDN needs, but not the one it wants right now

Purry kitty and ice cream have the dosing equivalent of like 10mg Xanax.

Or "IxNax" as my patients say here in the southeast.
"IxNax"

Jesus you must be surrounded by waffle houses and baptist churches if people are talking like that in your town.

Harassment violates the TOS.
Right but harassment and grossly offensive behavior are just a subset. I'll report people being rude for the sake of being rude since it violates rule 2, for example.

Right but harassment and grossly offensive behavior are just a subset. I'll report people being rude for the sake of being rude since it violates rule 2, for example.
Have....have you ever reported me?

Et tu brute?

"IxNax"

Jesus you must be surrounded by waffle houses and baptist churches if people are talking like that in your town.

There's a Waffle House right at the corner of the street. I like my hash browns covered and topped. And more than one person has tried to give me directions containing words approximating "drive down the road a stretch past the fields and turn once you've seen the big trees by the old Baptist church." These are the least helpful directions you can give in the southeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.