Leaving SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll join the chorus of people saying that the moderation has become oppressive and this place isn't the same as it used to be. The clowns running the show here are overstepping in a major way and I just don't feel a need to try to change myself because a few soft premeds and med students can't stop hammerclicking the report button for every perceived slight. I'll be looking at my specialty section if the mods allow but otherwise won't be posting much anymore since I live in America where we have freedom of speech. Good luck to the mods with being more "professional" through their abusive censorship.

To everyone who has asked me for advice through the years, I hope that I helped you on the path to becoming a great doctor. Hope sharing these pms don't get me banned.

"Hi Psai, I have frequently read your posts and really appreciate your valuable insight and advice. "

"Just read your write-up on the xxxx experience thread and I found it VERY helpful, thank you!"

"I hope this finds you well. Just wanted to say thank you for what you do, your posts, and how you look after medical students. I appreciate the love you show us while not coddling us. Thank you. Enjoy your Thanksgiving."

"While we may have butted heads and said some stupid stuff in the past, you're one of many I look up to on these forums. It may be counterintuitive but SDN is very therapeutic for me and I enjoy hearing your views to things. "

Glad I could help guys.

Inb4lock/secret mod thread removal

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
Farewell! Your avatar always brought me great joy in these troubling times.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to see you go man. I enjoyed reading many of your posts and threads, and the Normal Saline thread is one of my favorites despite the discussion being rather technical. Of course it's your choice in the end and I can't stop you.

Good luck with your future endeavors

I've only been on this site for a short time, but the rhetoric from many people on this site does seem to be quite abusive and overly critical. This is a professional site, and as such professional behavior is expected. Being on an anonymous forum in a free country is no excuse to be allowed to bully others as is frequently seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I've only been on this site for a short time, but the rhetoric from many people on this site does seem to be quite abusive and overly critical. This is a professional site, and as such professional behavior is expected. Being on an anonymous forum in a free country is no excuse to be allowed to bully others as is frequently seen.
Most threads do not elicit the kinds of responses that yours did.

Reactions: 5 users
I thought that this was America!!!

hopefully some gets the reference

Reactions: 7 users
This is part of my reason for that post: What is Troll? (feeling justified...) Sorry to see you are leaving! I honestly think we at SDN NEED to fix this issue.

EDIT:

Perhaps put a strike rule against those who call troll? (Just an idea...)

Last edited:
I thought that this was America!!!

hopefully some gets the reference
ixj4s2p.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Perhaps put a strike rule against those who call troll? (Just an idea...)

I can agree to this for sure. Troll hunting is annoying and too many members falsely accuse people of asking innocent questions as trolls just because of various things they didn't like (message delivery, odd content etc.).

I said it before and I'll say it again. Let the mods do the troll hunting business. If members find the thread to be a problem, they can ignore them. If the thread clearly and directly violates forum rules (such as inciting a flame war), they can report them.

Reactions: 4 users
I can agree to this for sure. Troll hunting is annoying and too many members falsely accuse people of asking innocent questions as trolls just because of various things they didn't like (message delivery, odd content etc.).

I said it before and I'll say it again. Let the mods do the troll hunting business. If members find the thread to be a problem, they can ignore them. If the thread clearly and directly violates forum rules (such as inciting a flame war), they can report them.
I agree 10000%! But theoretically it works. I just don't see it working now. People seem to have forgotten this rule, and IMO we need to at least come up with some idea that will mitigate this issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll join the chorus of people saying that the moderation has become oppressive and this place isn't the same as it used to be. The clowns running the show here are overstepping in a major way and I just don't feel a need to try to change myself because a few soft premeds and med students can't stop hammerclicking the report button for every perceived slight. I'll be looking at my specialty section if the mods allow but otherwise won't be posting much anymore since I live in America where we have freedom of speech. Good luck to the mods with being more "professional" through their abusive censorship.

SDN is a privately owned space. Just like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Imgur, and pretty much everywhere else on the internet where inappropriate posts get removed and penalties may or may not be placed on an account. We absolutely allow our members to speak freely on the forums, except for where it violates TOS. If a post serves no purpose but to put down another person, then that post has no purpose on SDN. Now, you and I may not see eye to eye on what posts are inappropriate, and that's a different story, but let's not bring the Bill of Rights into this discussion. Nobody's rights have ever been violated here.

http://lifehacker.com/5953755/what-...-speech-and-how-does-it-apply-to-the-internet

Reactions: 13 users
>freedom of speech on a private forum
SDN is a privately owned space. Just like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Imgur, and pretty much everywhere else on the internet where inappropriate posts get removed and penalties may or may not be placed on an account. We absolutely allow our members to speak freely on the forums, except for where it violates TOS. If one's speech serves no purpose but to put down another person, then that speech has no purpose on SDN. Now, you and I may not see eye to eye on what posts are inappropriate, and that's a different story, but let's not bring the Bill of Rights into this discussion. Nobody's rights have ever been violated here.

http://lifehacker.com/5953755/what-...-speech-and-how-does-it-apply-to-the-internet
Lol come on guys. He obviously doesn't claim SDN is violating basic rights, or that you all can't sanitize the place if you want to. He is just pointing out that making this place all clean and safe is going to drive away some of the people that make it valuable in the first place.

Lol come on guys. He obviously doesn't claim SDN is violating basic rights, or that you all can't sanitize the place if you want to. He is just pointing out that making this place all clean and safe is going to drive away some of the people that make it valuable in the first place.

Looking at just a few things that this guy has said (based on his history), it seems like his input may have been more destructive than valuable.

Reactions: 1 users
SDN is a privately owned space. Just like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Imgur, and pretty much everywhere else on the internet where inappropriate posts get removed and penalties may or may not be placed on an account. We absolutely allow our members to speak freely on the forums, except for where it violates TOS. If a post serves no purpose but to put down another person, then that post has no purpose on SDN. Now, you and I may not see eye to eye on what posts are inappropriate, and that's a different story, but let's not bring the Bill of Rights into this discussion. Nobody's rights have ever been violated here.

SDN is still an organization and if there is a problem with certain aspects of the site that causes long-term members to feel disillusioned and begin to leave, the moderators should address that, since they are the forum leaders. If they can't, a restructuring may be needed.

Looking at just a few things that this guy has said (based on his history), it seems like his input may have been more destructive than valuable.
I'd rather someone be given good advice in a blunt/rude way, than not be given that advice.

Just want to toss in my $0.02, as an unimportant SDN user.

When I first stumbled on SDN back in 2013, I loved it because of the bluntness, the honesty, and yes, sometimes even the occasional troll (shout-out to one very happy Chinese girl). I knew that I could always come here for straightforward advice from the ADCOMs and my fellow opinionated pre-meds. The unfiltered-ness was the beauty of SDN.

That's all changed. It is honestly getting ridiculous on here. The truth is, most people on SDN post enough about themselves for any ADCOM at any school to quickly narrow down who's who. If someone posts something truly heinous, then they probably are jerks in real life and won't get in to med school anyway, so it won't matter. If there's someone who is openly and aggressively harassing another poster, then, fine, go ahead and swing the ol' ban hammer (although it does make me wonder what the "ignore" button is for). But it's just plain ridiculous to drive long-time advisors off this site with censorship simply because some 18 year-old pre-med's ego was temporarily bruised by facts. If someone had up and told me some hard, pre-med truths when I was a freshman in college, then I would have been spared three years worth of serious, real-life heartache.

In conclusion, if you're so incredibly delicate that you melt at the sight of a less than affirmative response on the internet, then I have sad, but gentle, news for you: you need to A) go outside and play and B) develop a sense of humor.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 12.36.53 PM.png

Reactions: 12 users
Just want to toss in my $0.02, as an unimportant SDN user.

When I first stumbled on SDN back in 2013, I loved it because of the bluntness, the honesty, and yes, sometimes even the occasional troll (shout-out to one very happy Chinese girl). I knew that I could always come here for straightforward advice from the ADCOMs and my fellow opinionated pre-meds. The unfiltered-ness was the beauty of SDN.

That's all changed. It is honestly getting ridiculous on here. The truth is, most people on SDN post enough about themselves for any ADCOM at any school to quickly narrow down who's who. If someone posts something truly heinous, then they probably are jerks in real life and won't get in to med school anyway, so it won't matter. If there's someone who is openly and aggressively harassing another poster, then, fine, go ahead and swing the ol' ban hammer (although it does make me wonder what the "ignore" button is for). But it's just plain ridiculous to drive long-time advisors off this site with censorship simply because some 18 year-old pre-med's ego was temporarily bruised by facts. If someone had up and told me some hard, pre-med truths when I was a freshman in college, then I would have been spared three years worth of serious, real-life heartache.

In conclusion, if you're so incredibly delicate that you melt at the sight of a less than affirmative response on the internet, then I have sad, but gentle, news for you: you need to A) go outside and play and B) develop a sense of humor.

View attachment 218688

I decided to focus my efforts on making the forums a lot more resourceful. And fun (i regularly post comics in social thread and funny quotes thread). I don't want to be involved in the other stuff since that will only get me into further trouble. I expressed my thoughts in a giant wall post in Jalby's departure thread so there is nothing more to say on my end.

I joined SDN because of its resources and I will make SDN even more resourceful.

I decided to focus my efforts on making the forums a lot more resourceful. And fun (i regularly post comics in social thread and funny quotes thread). I don't want to be involved in the other stuff since that will only get me into further trouble. I expressed my thoughts in a giant wall post in Jalby's departure thread so there is nothing more to say on my end.

I joined SDN because of its resources and I will make SDN even more resourceful.

Thumbs up for Lawper :thumbup:

I'd rather someone be given good advice in a blunt/rude way, than not be given that advice.

I'm not the one who brought up the freedom of speech thing, just responding to it. And I'd argue that new members are often driven away because of some of the responses they get that 1) offer no real advice and 2) only serve to call troll or ridicule someone. Good advice in a blunt way is fine. Things don't need to be sugar coated. I've given plenty of blunt advice here. I'm talking about posts that serve no purpose other than to put down others. SDN should be a welcoming place where people feel comfortable asking questions, but I agree, people should also expect to receive honest advice, no matter how hard it is to hear. You don't see the countless number of reports that we reject because a member is upset at a piece of blunt, honest advice which doesn't violate TOS. Way, way, way more than the number of things that people actually get warned for.

SDN is still an organization and if there is a problem with certain aspects of the site that causes long-term members to feel disillusioned and begin to leave, the moderators should address that, since they are the forum leaders. If they can't, a restructuring may be needed.

We absolutely listen to member feedback. We are reading these threads and appreciate the discussion. But you should also understand after your many years on this site, that it's not all what it seems to the general member. And while we may try to bring more transparency to our actions, please understand that we overall still respect member privacy and often cannot get into specifics.

Reactions: 9 users
Oh I see what happened. I read his post as "I'm accustomed to being able to say what I want without censorship, so I can't enjoy SDN any more" and you read it as "SDN is violating our constitutional right to free speech"

To everyone who has asked me for advice through the years, I hope that I helped you on the path to becoming a great doctor. Hope sharing these pms don't get me banned.

"Hi Psai, I have frequently read your posts and really appreciate your valuable insight and advice. "

"Just read your write-up on the xxxx experience thread and I found it VERY helpful, thank you!"

"I hope this finds you well. Just wanted to say thank you for what you do, your posts, and how you look after medical students. I appreciate the love you show us while not coddling us. Thank you. Enjoy your Thanksgiving."

"While we may have butted heads and said some stupid stuff in the past, you're one of many I look up to on these forums. It may be counterintuitive but SDN is very therapeutic for me and I enjoy hearing your views to things. "

Glad I could help guys.

Inb4lock/secret mod thread removal
Is that cheering sound we hear off in the distance coming from midlevels?

Reactions: 11 users

I think part of the problem is that what the mods are doing is inconsistent. Some people with relatively benign posts get placed on probation, while others, who post obviously innapropriate things directed at other members are not. A good example is 'Will you read my PS' threads. There are not any active readers on the 2017-2018 list, so people are starting new threads to get their PSs read. Some of these are allowed but others are shut down and pointed towards the thread with no active readers.

Overmoderation I am +/- on. I get that the website is privately owned and the mods have a right to moderate and users have a right to go elsewhere. Also new posters write that they are worried about opening threads and write things like "I've used the search function, so please don't attack me," so there are obviously some people on the site that feel like there are enough users are being over the top abrasive that they need to write things like this so that they don't end up on the receiving end of it. But, to me, the bigger issue is people not knowing where the line is, because it keeps changing.

Edit: I am a relatively new member, so I have no idea about the good 'ol days. This is just something I have noticed during my time on SDN, which seems to be happening more and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This freedom of speech argument drives me nuts. Because everyone who makes it appears to have failed 8th grade civics/social studies. The Freedom of Speech guaranteed by the 1st Amendment is NOT the guarantee to say whatever you want without social consequences. It means the government can't arrest you for what you say (with a few notable exceptions).

Freedom of Speech has nothing to do with a social organization like a forum.

I think part of the problem is that what the mods are doing is inconsistent. Some people with relatively benign posts get placed on probation, while others, who post obviously innapropriate things directed at other members are not. A good example is 'Whill you read my PS' threads. There are not any active readers on the 2017-2018 list, so people are starting new threads to get their PSs read. Some of these are allowed but others are shut down and pointed towards the thread with no active readers.

Overmoderation I am +/- on. I get that the website is privately owned and the mods have a right to moderate and users have a right to go elsewhere. Also new posters write that they are worried about opening threads and write things like "I've used the search function, so please don't attack me," so there are obviously some people on the site that feel like some users are being over the top abrasive and are afraid of being on the other end of it. But, to me, the bigger issue is people not knowing where the line is, because it keeps changing.

Edit: I am a relatively new member, so I have no idea about the good 'ol days. This is just something I have noticed during my time on SDN, which seems to be happening more and more.

I think this a legitimate concern. Moderation is definitely, at times, inconsistent.

Here are some reasons why:

1. What posts / users are acted upon is gated by the reporting system. Moderators do not and cannot read everything that gets posted. If something doesnt get reported or we dont click on it, chances are we are not going to see it. Posting during high traffic times means that your post is more likely to be seen / reported / acted upon if it is misplaced, violates TOS, etc.

2. Moderating is draining. It makes SDN less enjoyable, no doubt about it. If I'm posting casually on the boards, I'm probably ignoring the ever increasing number of reports coming in. The consequence of this is that sometimes it takes a while for mods to respond to something that should have had our attention earlier. When we eventually get to that post/thread, "forum homeostasis" might have already kicked in; i.e., the thread has disappeared from the front page and nobody is posting on it anymore, an inflammatory post didnt end up derailing a thread / everyone else in the thread just ignored it or rolled their eyes, or another user pointed out what was wrong with a post and the offending user apologized /edited the original to conform to TOS (or, sometimes, if they posted copyrighted material somebody else will let them know that they could get in trouble), etc, etc, etc., the ultimate result being that no action is taken.

3. Moderators are human. A lot of them are physicians or residents with stressful lives and that can lead them to be short with people, react more punitively than they would on a good day, etc. The tautology that "mods are humans" does not excuse this behavior and we try to do our best to be consistent, consult the moderator hivemind when we are not sure how to respond, and then act only after something is clear. But mistakes do happen.

As far as people with benign posts being put on probation, aside from a few isolated cases, what actually happens here is that something is going on behind the scenes that has put this user on probation. This could be a duplicate account, a PM thread, trying to sell copyrighted materials privately, misrepresentaton of themselves as healthcare professionals, and other TOS-violating behavior. As much as we like transparency, we prioritize the privacy of the user-base over transparency in these scenarios, and I think everyone will agree this is the preferred arrangement.

I think part of the problem is that what the mods are doing is inconsistent. Some people with relatively benign posts get placed on probation, while others, who post obviously innapropriate things directed at other members are not. A good example is 'Will you read my PS' threads. There are not any active readers on the 2017-2018 list, so people are starting new threads to get their PSs read. Some of these are allowed but others are shut down and pointed towards the thread with no active readers.

We're not saying that moderation is perfect. We do make mistakes, and actions are not permanent, they can be reversed. We also do not constantly have eyes on SDN, so we rely on the reporting feature. Very often, with the volume of posting on certain forums, some posts may be overlooked if no one reports them. And I apologize for that, but that seems to be the nature of the beast with a large forum.

As for the personal statement thread, no one was warned or penalized for that. The reason why the personal statement readers thread was created was because people were annoyed with all the threads asking for someone to read their PS. When I linked the thread, there was an active reader, who then took themselves off, and now there is another active reader. I apologize if my closure of the thread appeared heavy handed, but my point was to direct that user as well as other users to the master thread, where they can bump it up (it had fallen several pages behind) and ask for a reader there, instead of creating a bunch of new threads about it.

Reactions: 6 users
@Psai don't go! This place will be worse than reddit if all the real world advisors like you are silenced by the victim-seeking hypersensitivity of others.

I knew that I could always come here for straightforward advice from the ADCOMs and my fellow opinionated pre-meds. The unfiltered-ness was the beauty of SDN....it's just plain ridiculous to drive long-time advisors off this site with censorship simply because some 18 year-old pre-med's ego was temporarily bruised by facts.

Completely agree, truly sad.

Reactions: 2 users
We're not saying that moderation is perfect. We do make mistakes, and actions are not permanent, they can be reversed. We also do not constantly have eyes on SDN, so we rely on the reporting feature. Very often, with the volume of posting on certain forums, some posts may be overlooked if no one reports them. And I apologize for that, but that seems to be the nature of the beast with a large forum.

As for the personal statement thread, no one was warned or penalized for that. The reason why the personal statement readers thread was created was because people were annoyed with all the threads asking for someone to read their PS. When I linked the thread, there was an active reader, who then took themselves off, and now there is another active reader. I apologize if my closure of the thread appeared heavy handed, but my point was to direct that user as well as other users to the master thread, where they can bump it up (it had fallen several pages behind) and ask for a reader there, instead of creating a bunch of new threads about it.

Hey Ismet, didn't realize that it was you who closed the tread. Didn't mean to call you out- just an example that stuck out in my mind. I definitely get that things are imperfect, but just wanted to mention that inconsistency sticks out to me more than the blanket "over moderation" that some people seem to feel is happening.

There certainly are, in my opinion, too many abrasive posts that seem to make people think twice about posting, which isn't productive to being a good resource for people. So I tend to fall more on the side of supporting moderation, but I wonder if the inconsistent moderator actions that happen to fall a little more on the side of heavy moderation are the ones that stick out to people that feel that there is too much censorship. So would coming up with a way to make things more consistent help ease this problem as well? Just my $0.02

I think this a legitimate concern. Moderation is definitely, at times, inconsistent.

Here are some reasons why:

1. What posts / users are acted upon is gated by the reporting system. Moderators do not and cannot read everything that gets posted. If something doesnt get reported or we dont click on it, chances are we are not going to see it. Posting during high traffic times means that your post is more likely to be seen / reported / acted upon if it is misplaced, violates TOS, etc.

2. Moderating is draining. It makes SDN less enjoyable, no doubt about it. If I'm posting casually on the boards, I'm probably ignoring the ever increasing number of reports coming in. The consequence of this is that sometimes it takes a while for mods to respond to something that should have had our attention earlier. When we eventually get to that post/thread, "forum homeostasis" might have already kicked in; i.e., the thread has disappeared from the front page and nobody is posting on it anymore, an inflammatory post didnt end up derailing a thread / everyone else in the thread just ignored it or rolled their eyes, or another user pointed out what was wrong with a post and the offending user apologized /edited the original to conform to TOS (or, sometimes, if they posted copyrighted material somebody else will let them know that they could get in trouble), etc, etc, etc., the ultimate result being that no action is taken.

3. Moderators are human. A lot of them are physicians or residents with stressful lives and that can lead them to be short with people, react more punitively than they would on a good day, etc. The tautology that "mods are humans" does not excuse this behavior and we try to do our best to be consistent, consult the moderator hivemind when we are not sure how to respond, and then act only after something is clear. But mistakes do happen.

As far as people with benign posts being put on probation, aside from a few isolated cases, what actually happens here is that something is going on behind the scenes that has put this user on probation. This could be a duplicate account, a PM thread, trying to sell copyrighted materials privately, misrepresentaton of themselves as healthcare professionals, and other TOS-violating behavior. As much as we like transparency, we prioritize the privacy of the user-base over transparency in these scenarios, and I think everyone will agree this is the preferred arrangement.

Generally, I think you guys do a great job. There was a short period right after the "community" thread where some of the mods seemed to go buck wild (like literally, only a couple of them), applying the rules extremely unevenly and seemingly punishing users for any post that got reported without taking two seconds to see if the report was honest or warranted.

It's waaaaay better already. That little spurt was pretty quick, and I think you guys are back on track for the most part. However, I do think that there is still some unevenness with how the rules are applied. I do see an effort happening to change that, and I want to say that it's appreciated.

As a military guy, I believe that being blunt and to the point is the best way to be. But being insulting does nothing positive. You guys just have to find the balance between letting members be blunt and shutting down dinguses. Tough job.

Reactions: 3 users
As a military guy, I believe that being blunt and to the point is the best way to be. But being insulting does nothing positive. You guys just have to find the balance between letting members be blunt and shutting down dinguses. Tough job.

:eek: you said a bad word! my feelings are damaged! :eek:

*reports Matt and watches him banned* :shifty::shifty:

..... .... joking :cryi::cryi:

RIP Lawper :dead:

This freedom of speech argument drives me nuts. Because everyone who makes it appears to have failed 8th grade civics/social studies. The Freedom of Speech guaranteed by the 1st Amendment is NOT the guarantee to say whatever you want without social consequences. It means the government can't arrest you for what you say (with a few notable exceptions).

This.

Sounds like the US constitution shouldnt apply to SDN?

Sounds like the US constitution shouldnt apply to SDN?

I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but I can't help think you are being intentionally obtuse here.

If you can't differentiate between legal action by the government or their actors (police/military/courts) and being held to account for the TOS of a website you voluntarily use, (usually by losing access to the site), I can't be of assistance.

Generally, I think you guys do a great job. There was a short period right after the "community" thread where some of the mods seemed to go buck wild (like literally, only a couple of them), applying the rules extremely unevenly and seemingly punishing users for any post that got reported without taking two seconds to see if the report was honest or warranted.

It's waaaaay better already. That little spurt was pretty quick, and I think you guys are back on track for the most part. However, I do think that there is still some unevenness with how the rules are applied. I do see an effort happening to change that, and I want to say that it's appreciated.

Is nobody gonna touch this?

Good post though, agree 100%

I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but I can't help think you are being intentionally obtuse here.

If you can't differentiate between legal action by the government or their actors (police/military/courts) and being held to account for the TOS of a website you voluntarily use, (usually by losing access to the site), I can't be of assistance.

For the record: I'm not going to report your name calling, because quite honestly I think its a breathe of fresh air. I am totally fine with you expressing yourself as you just did.

Thank you for helping me make the point. There's nothing quite like speaking your mind, Lucid. That's what I was saying.

For the record: I'm not going to report your name calling, because quite honestly I think its a breathe of fresh air. I am totally fine with you expressing yourself as you just did. You get my point, right?

Except I didn't namecall; you should likely learn to differentiate between namecalling and describing behavior.

Reactions: 6 users
Except I didn't namecall; you should likely learn to differentiate between namecalling and describing behavior.
Lmao 'I didn't call him stupid! I said he was being stupid! Totally different!!'

Psai would be proud of the direction this thread is taking

Lmao 'I didn't call him stupid! I said he was being stupid! Totally different!!'

If you really believe there is no difference, feel free to report the post. I stand by my assessment of the behavior. My post history here stands for itself in terms of my voice and intent.

Calling someone stupid and telling them to "stop acting dumb" are not the same.

The latter insinuates the recipient of the phrase is not stupid but is acting that way for an ulterior motive. In this case, to get a rise out of the original speaker.

Now back to the post before the thread gets locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.