LECOM-Bradenton Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread die or what?
The LECOM-B "class of" threads tend to more or less migrate to the SGA forum eventually. There's usually more input from current students, info on housing, etc, over there.

digitlnoize: I looked over the guide to clubs and organizations and see that they list several. I knew about it before my post but thanks for the heads up anyway.

I was more interested in hearing from students who actually participated in the different ones to offer their recommendations in terms of really making headway as far as your chosen specialty is concerned or perhaps a nice social club that really won't influence your career after, say, the first two years.

Maybe some of you who frequent the forum don't know much about the specifics of a group, or can't recommend some over the others but know where I might find more information on the subject besides from the interview packet? Any help is appreciated.

I'm not really sure what specific recommendations I can give here...even though I'm president of a club and a member of the SGA, honestly, I think it's pretty tough for most people to find much time/energy to do a whole lot as far as clubs go...I doubt residencies put much weight on club participation, unless maybe you are an officer...?

There are a couple clubs pretty much everybody joins:
SOMA - you get a copy of Netter for free, which you need, and which would cost you about the same as joining the club

ACOFP - it's free

I also like the ACP because it's free and you get an online subscription to the annals of internal medicine.

Other than that, the International Medical Society is a must join if you want to do international rotations.

Other clubs have varying levels of activity - ie occasional guest speakers, community blood pressure screenings, walkathons, suture clinics, etc. If you're interested in a specific club, I might be able to tell you a bit more about what they're up to.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, DragonWell.

As an officer of two clubs and a member of many I second DragonWell, good resume builders, good chance to meet doctors in the community, and some fun little things during the semester. But the majority of us focus on the school get get around to the clubs when we have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got accepted two days ago, is anyone from chicago going to LECOM-Br?

Hi...I've been reading these forums for a while but its my first time posting....I just got off the alternate list and was accepted today! I was accepted at the Erie campus earlier so i already paid my deposit there.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice over which branch they would pick...I love PBL so thats not an issue....

and Rabo I am from Chicago

Hi...I've been reading these forums for a while but its my first time posting....I just got off the alternate list and was accepted today! I was accepted at the Erie campus earlier so i already paid my deposit there.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice over which branch they would pick...I love PBL so thats not an issue....

Erie vs Bradenton

Where do you guys go to work out. I heard there is a YMCA near by. Anything else? What is the rate at the Y?

I would pick Bradenton. I just heard alot of people saying it is a better place. Personally Id rather live in florida and get away from snow for four years.
Which school did you go to in Chicago?

Just thought everyone would like to know...LECOM-B said they would be sending out the acceptance packets sometime next week.

Just thought everyone would like to know...LECOM-B said they would be sending out the acceptance packets sometime next week.

I was tutoring a chemistry class at the my university and I told the students to look at the packet I had just given them (three sheets of paper stapled together). They looked at me like I was from Mars.

"What's a packet?"

Do people not use this term anymore or am I trapped in third grade social-studies nostalgia with all my packet talk?

Got my call today from Heather. Great news, but deposit due March 4th!?!

did anyone start looking for places to rent?

Members don't see this ad :)
where do many people live? somewhere that has good ammenities and utilities and is fairly cheap..

i heard most stay at the yacht club or colonial grand. they r both close to the school and brand new. but not cheap.

yea, most of us live in colonial grand (myself) and yacht club. There are also a few that live at the harborage (or something like that). Most of the rent is somewhere around 900-1000 depending on the size of apt you get. Yea, its kinda high, but they are pretty nice and really close to school and friends...which are both really nice features! My experience with Colonial Grand has been pretty good, no majore complaints. If you go towards bradenton some of the prices go down, but the neighborhoods may not be as safe and it is also much further away. (Longer driving time = less time to study).

Where do you guys go to work out. I heard there is a YMCA near by. Anything else? What is the rate at the Y?

I'm not sure what the rate is at the Y or lifestyles (i work out at the apt complex) but MOST people go to the lifestyles which is down 70 under 75. Everyone says that it is nicer and that it is less crowded than the Y.

how do you guys afford the rent when it is around 900-1000?? they only gave 10100 last year.. so 841/month for each of 12 months..

how do you guys afford the rent when it is around 900-1000?? they only gave 10100 last year.. so 841/month for each of 12 months..

$900 - $1000 is for living alone in a 1br place. If you get a roommate you're looking at $500/mo or even quite a bit less.

I've been all over Craigslist, and you can find plenty of places where somebody's renting a room, or you and some classmates can rent a place together. Lakewood Ranch is overbuilt (more houses than buyers, especially right now) and you can very easily get a 3 BR 2 BA place with a pool for under $1500.

If you do some work, and you look outside LWR, you can find a place where you're living alone for $700 or less.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org

what do u mean they only gave 10100 last year?

what do u mean they only gave 10100 last year?

That was the housing budget for the 10 months covered in first year. Look for the financial aid packet you got when you interviewed - it might be different for '08.

On my interview day, the financial aid officer said she expects students to find housing that rents under $750/mo.

Congrads!!!! I'm currently a second year and am going to be getting rid of all of my books and furniture and well pretty much everything right after I take the boards in may. If you are interested let me know! Or if you have any questions in general I might be able to help you out also :) PM me or shoot me an email [email protected]. Now go relax and have fun, once school starts there won't be much time for that!!!

That was the housing budget for the 10 months covered in first year. Look for the financial aid packet you got when you interviewed - it might be different for '08.

On my interview day, the financial aid officer said she expects students to find housing that rents under $750/mo.

I looked in the packet we received when we interviewed.. i dont have a page with 08 expenses.. not sure they have been released yet. but yes, last year they gave 10100$ budgeted for housing costs.. yes, 10months.. because that is all they are allowed.. however.. for people like me, who wont be working during med school and have no other source of income during that time (spouse, parents, previous career savings) that money has to stretch to 12months..

Congrads!!!! I'm currently a second year and am going to be getting rid of all of my books and furniture and well pretty much everything right after I take the boards in may. If you are interested let me know! Or if you have any questions in general I might be able to help you out also :) PM me or shoot me an email [email protected]. Now go relax and have fun, once school starts there won't be much time for that!!!

how much did it cost you to buy all your books?

I looked in the packet we received when we interviewed.. i dont have a page with 08 expenses.. not sure they have been released yet. but yes, last year they gave 10100$ budgeted for housing costs.. yes, 10months.. because that is all they are allowed.. however.. for people like me, who wont be working during med school and have no other source of income during that time (spouse, parents, previous career savings) that money has to stretch to 12months..

they had $2000 for a laptop and $4600 for other. so if you already have a laptop and save on the "others" then that could be added to your housing expenses.

I didn't see one started so I thought I would give it a go. I received my acceptance letter today and am very excited. I am leaning favorably towards LECOM-B since I absolutely love PBL!!

I have never had PBL so I am little scared that I might not get it... Why do you like it so much, have you done it before?:scared:

I have never had PBL so I am little scared that I might not get it... Why do you like it so much, have you done it before?

Don't worry about PBL...no incoming student has ever had it, so it is new to everybody. The school starts you out nice and slow (only one day a week at first) and with a few easy cases so that you can get the feel of it. The best suggestion I can give is is that PBL is not about what you already know; so take your time, work through the issues, and don't be afraid to ask a million questions (even if it seems like everyone else in your group already knows the answer).

You can expect to pay approximately $40/mo. at the Y and just about the same at Lifetstyle (which is jsut up the street). Both places have "deals" for LECOM students so make sure you ask before you sign up.

I can't say for sure because I continued to buy books throughout my 2 years here. But I'd say in the beginning for the basic science books I ended up paying around $2000. And I also got a bunch of review books (which you pretty much NEED), and other supplemtal stuff. I didn't buy new (no need to spend an extra $50 on a book just because it is brand new) and also bought a few from outgoing OMS II's and that saved me a ton of money! In the end I'd say my total amount spent for everything (except medical equipment) was abuot $2500-$3000.

I think I will be sending my deposit tomorrow. Did anyone find out if the check needs to be recieved by the deadline? If so I have to send it overnight!

I think I will be sending my deposit tomorrow. Did anyone find out if the check needs to be recieved by the deadline? If so I have to send it overnight!

I would give them a call or shoot an email to Heather or Annette to check. They probably won't have a problem with it being late as long as you let them know that it is in the mail.

I just sent my check out today!

Hey everyone,
I just received my acceptance last week and decided on going there. I'm from PA and can't wait to head south. Is anyone by chance on an Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship? I'll be attending on one from the Air Force.
Matt

Hey everyone,
I just received my acceptance last week and decided on going there. I'm from PA and can't wait to head south. Is anyone by chance on an Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship? I'll be attending on one from the Air Force.
Matt

Matt,
Please tell me all you know about this scholarship and why you choose to go this route in paying for medical school. My father, who is in the Navy, wants me to pursue the scholarship, but I have my hesitations:confused:

Hello earthlings. i'm not going to this school so bye

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they conduct routine drug testing at lecom b?

Hello future classm8s. lozlsz.

Oh god...I hope not!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: Just kidding!

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Some of the clinical facilities might though. Just don't be hittin' the crack pipe and you'll be ok!

Does anyone know if they conduct routine drug testing at lecom b?

Hello future classm8s. lozlsz.

No. You have to pass a urine screen for matriculation, and then, possibly, during 3rd/4th year, you will need to pass drug screens at various hospitals as a requirement for rotating there.

The initial drug screen is required for matriculation, the others are based on the requirements of the hospitals. None of these screens are conducted by LECOM.

hey, i'm just recently learning about PBL and how it works, and i'd love to talk to anybody willing to let me ask them questions about it. just general stuff like pros or cons, etc. just PM me if you'd be willing to talk! thanks

just curious - how did LECOM Bradenton c/o 2008 do in the match?
this was their first, right?

This was their first match, but no one has said much of anything yet...

I do know of one LECOM-B student that matched MD radiology...waiting to hear the rest of the list...