LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the quick reply! That helps me a ton as far as budgeting goes, which took me about 2 hours today....after tuition I'm still just above the poverty line!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had to petition for matriculation? Or know anything about it. I nervous now because I think I'm going to have to do that since my MMR IgG titers showed negative even though I had 2 doses of MMR when I was little. And since you have to wait 6-8wks after vaccination for retesting of IgG Im going to be way past my July 14 deadline. Im kind of freaking out.

Email Heather about it and ask her...you'll probably be ok...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had to petition for matriculation? Or know anything about it. I nervous now because I think I'm going to have to do that since my MMR IgG titers showed negative even though I had 2 doses of MMR when I was little. And since you have to wait 6-8wks after vaccination for retesting of IgG Im going to be way past my July 14 deadline. Im kind of freaking out.

Don't freak. You won't have to petition. As long as you've had the first repeat dose, you can go ahead and send your paperwork in. I'm in the same situation and she told me to just go ahead and send in my stuff, and then update her when I had the other doses.

as long as you've had the shot before school starts, you'll be fine. current students- some rotations (not the cores) REQUIRE CURRENT LAB DOCUMENTATION WITHIN 6 MONTHS before they even look at your app. so figure out where you want to go/requirements needed 3-4 mo before starting

That happened to me too. I came back negative and had to get re-vaccinated and the 6-8 weeks I had to wait ran past my deadline. As long as you have the paperwork in that says you have been re-vaccinated and the approximate date that you will re-titered you'll be fine :)

Does anyone know any places where I can buy cheap furniture, or means in which I can get like a couch, chair, dresser, or whatever?

Does anyone know any places where I can buy cheap furniture, or means in which I can get like a couch, chair, dresser, or whatever?
check the school forums, iam sure there are 3-4th yrs selling their stuff. ikea just opened in tampa. salvation army/goodwill in bradenton. craigs list always has something. once a month lakewood ranch has a garage sale "day". just drive down lakewood ranch and you'll see the signs on the weekends.

sorry if this has been asked before, but can any 2nd/3rd/4th year students recommend which books to get for Embryology, Anatomy Atlas, Dictionary, and Internal Medicine? There is a choice between 2 or 3 in each section, and I wanted to know if anyone prefers one over the others.
Also, does anyone at, or going to, LECOM swim? I know time will be an issue, but it would be nice to train/work out with some people. Thanks

sorry if this has been asked before, but can any 2nd/3rd/4th year students recommend which books to get for Embryology, Anatomy Atlas, Dictionary, and Internal Medicine? There is a choice between 2 or 3 in each section, and I wanted to know if anyone prefers one over the others.
Also, does anyone at, or going to, LECOM swim? I know time will be an issue, but it would be nice to train/work out with some people. Thanks

Check my recent post (this page, or last page-ish) about which books to get.

Embryo: they both suck but, I like the Sadler book better...
Atlas = Rohen's
Dictionary = none, use www.stedmans.com or google
Internal medicine = none, use Uptodate when you get to school instead.

I don't know any serious swimmers off the top of my head...I know a bunch of people have a membership at Lifestyles Gym and it's pretty big, there might be a pool there. I have one at my house, but it's little and I can barely swim...enough to not drown, but not enough to, uh, train.

There will be a small amount of time for your normal activities, if you make time for them. I still see my family and spend time with them. Granted, that doesn't leave much time for my thousand other hobbies, but...plenty of people workout daily, or go fishing, or play music, or whatever.

Also, does anyone at, or going to, LECOM swim?

M3, I'm considering swimming in my leisure time. Will likely have a membership somewhere, but looking forward to getting out to the ocean as well.

there's a pool next door at the Y, other than that I don't know much about it. the beach and bay is 20 min away. lifestyles is down the street....can't remember if they have a pool or not.

as for books. I know there have been postings earlier so check those out too. I bought way, way, way too many books. don't get a dictionary. I used langman (they changed to something else in my 2nd yr) for embryo and there are library/online videos that are pretty good regarding heart/gut formation (not the ackland). dr kruguer loves to ask those q's. the lectures will overwhelm you with info as it is.
anatomy- I liked moore a little better but grays has nice flashcards. soma will (or did) give free netters when you join. I don't even remember using my atlas but a few times, much less the neuro atlas (none) but used netter's a ton. when it comes to anatomy/embryo get a book that you like to use with pictures that'll help you. a head is a head, a foot is a foot, it doesn't change from book to book. a german company called "theme?" has pretty netter type books
IM-iam a 4th yr and I barely use an int med book like harrisons. with the internet so readily available in most hospitals it's faster to hop on to uptodate/emedicine. although you can get a disk with cecil's or harrisons, keep it on your laptop, and print out the stuff you need for presentations and such. it's much cheaper and lighter but the pics are a pain to load up. for PBL harrisons is a little more dense than you need but it's great to tie in diff concepts. cecil's is a "lighter" version of harrisons. either way, save your $180.00 and use it for a pool membership

Members don't see this ad :)

Have you been accepted?

Does anyone know anything about LECOM bradenton and how friendly they are with admitting physician assistants?

erpac

Does anyone know anything about LECOM bradenton and how friendly they are with admitting physician assistants?

erpac

I would imagine if you are a qualified applicant and what they are looking for then they shouldn't have a problem with accepting you.

You can post your question here in the 2008-2009 class thread for more responses from LECOM-B students or in the Osteo forum.

Here's a link to the class thread. Click Here.

Does anyone know how to find/know anyone selling the Green Saverese OMM review book? I cannot find it anywhere and have heard it's helpful from several students, including digitl :)

Hey guys... it's been some time since i have posted anything!!! I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion about something: I love to dance (all kinds of music including techno, reggaetton, salsa, merengue, and much more) and play nintendo wii (dance revolution 2 - to be exact), and wanted to know if there is a room or place where i could dance, or/and play nintendo wii during my "off" hours so I can get re-energized. I am not a gym type of person, so i prefer to entertain myself this way. Does anyone has any suggestions about where to play nintendo?? any other way to get re-energized??? All of your sincere opinons are appreciated!!!!!:highfive:

Last edited:
Hey guys... it's been some time since i have posted anything!!! I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion about something: I love to dance (all kinds of music including techno, reggaetton, salsa, merengue, and much more) and play nintendo wii (dance revolution 2 - to be exact), and wanted to know if there is a room or place where i could dance, or/and play nintendo wii during my "off" hours so I can get re-energized. I am not a gym type of person, so i prefer to entertain myself this way. Does anyone has any suggestions about where to play nintendo?? any other way to get re-energized??? All of your sincere opinons are appreciated!!!!!:highfive:

I own a wii and my latino genes beckon me to dance salsa and merengue.

I don't know of any public place that has a wii set up. There may be an arcade somewhere with DDR, but I'm not sure...There are plenty of clubs down in Sarasota with decent dancing. There's also a place that does salsa lessons...

Most of us just have our Wii's (or whatever) at our house and play them when we have time (which is kinda rare).

Anyone notice that most of the textbooks are softcover? Anyway to find more of them in hardcover?

Anyone notice that most of the textbooks are softcover? Anyway to find more of them in hardcover?

You can check the publisher's website. But, you're right. Many of them are softcover. Phys, Path, Clinical exam are all hardcover. I think most of my other ones are soft. It's ok, it all works out. Hard covers are heavier anyways.

Hi you guys. As I am preparing for medical school (basically by buying the books) it occurs to me that if there is anything that I should buy; for example, is it better to buy a binder where I can put my notes, or is it better to buy notebooks? Should I buy a binder or notebook per subject? Should i buy a recorder? What's the best way to bring all of the books + lunch + water, etc without having to rent an apartment to put all of that stuff (lol)? And what about clothing to keep me warm? (you have to admit that it is FREEZING overthere):scared:
Any posts from the current students (past students welcome too) with tips are very well appreciated!! Thank you guys for offering your time, your help, and support!!!:biglove:

Last edited:
Hi you guys. As I am preparing for medical school (basically by buying the books) it occurs to me that if there is anything that I should buy; for example, is it better to buy a binder where I can put my notes, or is it better to buy notebooks? Should I buy a binder or notebook per subject? Should i buy a recorder? What's the best way to bring all of the books + lunch + water, etc without having to rent an apartment to put all of that stuff (lol)? And what about clothing to keep me warm? (you have to admit that it is FREEZING overthere):scared:
Any posts from the current students (past students welcome too) with tips are very well appreciated!! Thank you guys for offering your time, your help, and support!!!:biglove:

You can pretty much do whatever worked for you in the past. I only really have a notebook for PBL cases. Some people keep notebooks of the powerpoints for the lecture classes (anatomy, clinical exam, omm) but it's ALOT of powerpoints to print out, so I don't.

You'll be fine with a normal backpack or whatever during anatomy. Once PBL starts I'd get some kind of rolling bag. Staples makes a pretty popular plastic cart thing, but they're kinda flimsy. Some people use luggage or rolling backpacks...

I like the temp of the school, but if you don't, bring a sweater...the PBL rooms do have their own thermostats, so you can warm it up if you'd like...they usually work...lol

You're required laptop will be your bible during anatomy. All the powerpoints will be on the listserve for you to have downloaded onto your computer to study from and will be available to have during the actual lecture. I wrote all my class notes into the text box at the bottom of the slide the lecturer was discussing at the time. It helps organizing your notes to correspond to each slide and makes clean up a lot easier when there are no papers and pens involved. By the time anatomy is over you will have a solid way to go about studying the material for yourself, everyone is different. What I can tell you is in college I read all my books in the library and took detailed notes that I organized into a binder. Now, I don't take any notes. There is simply too much to read to bother taking notes and you won't get much help in terms of what to focus on. You will learn quickly that asking what is important or what do I need to know from this will always be answered in one of two ways: What do you think is imporant from this? Or my personal favorite: Everything.

Long story short don't stress out about anything because we are all in it together but the reality of it is you will probably use your powerpoint slides to take notes during anatomy, OMM and CE but as far as the PBL cases and reading assignments go, it's strictly the books and generally no time to take notes on the chapters. Again, I've seen people take notes and everyone has their own strategy they need to fall into, but I gaurentee you will change the way you study from undergrad to medical school, it's just about what works for you. If notes are the way to go then so be it, but I was a HUGE note taker in undergrad and couldn't justify doing it here myself.

Thanks digitlnoize and pbl do!!! Yeah, the truth is I am also a huge note taker. When i was preparing for the mcat i did it buy sumarizing each chapter by hand, and i found that even though it took me a lot longer to study one chapter, the info kinda "stuck" better. This is why I am concerned about med school because I know that there is so much to read, understand, and memorize, and so little time!!! I want to be able to be as efficient as I can without sacrificing comprehension (you know memorization vs. understanding). I want to be able to do both, and it seems that they are not compatible at all. it seems that I have to either spend time memorizing or understanding, but not both!! how do you guys do both?? Does the note taking has to go kaput?

Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks digitlnoize and pbl do!!! Yeah, the truth is I am also a huge note taker. When i was preparing for the mcat i did it buy sumarizing each chapter by hand, and i found that even though it took me a lot longer to study one chapter, the info kinda "stuck" better. This is why I am concerned about med school because I know that there is so much to read, understand, and memorize, and so little time!!! I want to be able to be as efficient as I can without sacrificing comprehension (you know memorization vs. understanding). I want to be able to do both, and it seems that they are not compatible at all. it seems that I have to either spend time memorizing or understanding, but not both!! how do you guys do both?? Does the note taking has to go kaput?

Thanks a lot!!!

Does the note taking have to go kaput? The short answer is no, it doesn't have to for you, but it did for me and a lot of people I know. If you have to spend time memorizing or understanding, spend time understanding. What's nice about how they designed the curriculum is that you will be required to read a lot, maybe 6 chapters a night for example, but the good news is a lot of the material is repetitive.

All the books generally say the same thing, just in a different way. For example, I might read respiratory physiology, pathology, anatomy, and histology that cover around 4-8 chapters of information or so but you read about the same exact mechanisms to the point where maybe 40 percent of what you did will be reread 4 to 8 times. The rest is building on what you already know and adding more details with each chapter you cover.

Maybe in that way memorization becomes easier or rather not necessary. It's understanding the mechanisms and the connections across your books that will prepare you well for the exams and COMLEX. In my opinion its no longer about taking notes and highlighting important concepts to study later for the exam. It's about capitalizing on repetition across all your books and integrating the information into one big picture you create for yourself. If you can ask yourself how and why things are happening, dive into the books to figure out the basic sciences behind it, and apply past knowledge to each new chapter and case you encounter, you will not need to worry about studying old things and trying to get a better test score.

Undergrad was about note taking and maintaining your GPA through high-yield study techniques and memorization. Now its about understanding the material and applying every new piece as you continually learn how everything functions together. Once you start learning the basics it becomes easier to predict and understand how things function when they aren't working correctly, i.e. pathology. The more you ask yourself questions regarding the mechanisms of action and apply what you already know to knew cases, the quicker you understand studying for the test is a concept you left behind in undergrad.

I was just wondering who is going to go to the open house (july 26) and the picnic (August 1)? I wanted to know if some of the 2nd years students are going to be there (like digitl), or maybe even some 3rd or 4th year students? I am extremely excited and hope that there will be a great chemistry among all of us, because if you really think about it we are all going to be future colleagues!!!!!

If you are planning on going there, please reply on this thread with your thoughts and feelings!!!!

Hope to see ALL of you there on both events:highfive:

I was just wondering who is going to go to the open house (july 26) and the picnic (August 1)? I wanted to know if some of the 2nd years students are going to be there (like digitl), or maybe even some 3rd or 4th year students? I am extremely excited and hope that there will be a great chemistry among all of us, because if you really think about it we are all going to be future colleagues!!!!!

If you are planning on going there, please reply on this thread with your thoughts and feelings!!!!

Hope to see ALL of you there on both events:highfive:

I'm there for both! See you there!

Hey, got a question for current LECOM-B students or anyone here that may know.

I have an interview at LECOM-B in September and was just wondering if PBL prepares students for the COMLEX or USMLE better than traditional lecture? I really like the PBL system, from what I read and heard, and it seems to be similar to what a test like the COMLEX is anyway, such as clinical correlations and problem solving.

Any info would be appreciated!!!!!

Hey, got a question for current LECOM-B students or anyone here that may know.

I have an interview at LECOM-B in September and was just wondering if PBL prepares students for the COMLEX or USMLE better than traditional lecture? I really like the PBL system, from what I read and heard, and it seems to be similar to what a test like the COMLEX is anyway, such as clinical correlations and problem solving.

Any info would be appreciated!!!!!

And a new year begins! Hoorah!

There is a TON of education research that shows that a PBL type curriculum often has better outcomes than not.

LECOM-B in particular, has been #2 (maybe #1 this year) for the last 3 years in COMLEX scores. We don't really have data for the USMLE, but all the students I've spoken too that have taken have gotten decent scores. I think our match lists speak for themselves in that area...

I think it's light years better than a lecture curriculum. Search through my old posts, or the following people's old posts: PBLDO, nlax, scpod...or any of the LECOM threads...you'll find tons and tons of info on this.

And a new year begins! Hoorah!

There is a TON of education research that shows that a PBL type curriculum often has better outcomes than not.

LECOM-B in particular, has been #2 (maybe #1 this year) for the last 3 years in COMLEX scores. We don't really have data for the USMLE, but all the students I've spoken too that have taken have gotten decent scores. I think our match lists speak for themselves in that area...

I think it's light years better than a lecture curriculum. Search through my old posts, or the following people's old posts: PBLDO, nlax, scpod...or any of the LECOM threads...you'll find tons and tons of info on this.

Thanks for the info!! LECOM-B is a top choice for me and I figured that PBL is very effective. Also, considering the residencies from 2009, great IM, FP, and ER spots, they do speak for themselves.