LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the quick reply! What about specific programs or services they offer that you think we should take advantage of? i.e. tutoring services, etc etc. Thanks again!

Like digitlnoize mentioned, it's not that's it's all that technically difficult, but just a LOT of stuff you have to get through. But no official programs, unless you include the Big Sib thing which pretty much matches you up with a 2nd year so you have someone specific you can go to for questions, advice, notes, etc.....

And really, early on you'll probably make a few good friends that you end of studying with at times and that's really the only sort of interaction I needed when there was a concept I just wasn't getting. For the most it's just a matter of you doing your own reading. You may study a lot of with a few other people in a PBL room or someone's house so ya'll are able to ask each other things as you go along.

I know it's pretty intimidating now for you but there's definitely a point you'll reach where you really won't be bothered all that much that you're next exam has 60 chapters of material on it..... it's still stressful but you become used to it and just plow through.

Stay up to speed with the material, don't get too far behind and you should be fine. I definitely had my moments of slacking, am a slow reader and horrible at memorizing and I did fine, so don't worry about not being able to cut it.

Members don't see this ad.

Like digitlnoize mentioned, it's not that's it's all that technically difficult, but just a LOT of stuff you have to get through. But no official programs, unless you include the Big Sib thing which pretty much matches you up with a 2nd year so you have someone specific you can go to for questions, advice, notes, etc.....

And really, early on you'll probably make a few good friends that you end of studying with at times and that's really the only sort of interaction I needed when there was a concept I just wasn't getting. For the most it's just a matter of you doing your own reading. You may study a lot of with a few other people in a PBL room or someone's house so ya'll are able to ask each other things as you go along.

I know it's pretty intimidating now for you but there's definitely a point you'll reach where you really won't be bothered all that much that you're next exam has 60 chapters of material on it..... it's still stressful but you become used to it and just plow through.

Stay up to speed with the material, don't get too far behind and you should be fine. I definitely had my moments of slacking, am a slow reader and horrible at memorizing and I did fine, so don't worry about not being able to cut it.

thanks, this made me feel much better, particularly your last paragraph. I feel good in my abilities to succeed but I guess I'm going through those last minute nerves!

I've heard from some people at LECOM that for the most part you spend about 6-8 hours a week on campus, but I've also read that you have class from 8 am till 3pm or 5pm...which would you say is more accurate or are both accurate just at different points of med school?

Oh and I was wondering about this the other day...I box and do submission wrestling and would hate to quit (but will in the name of med school if necessary), do you think I'd have any opportunity to train without potentially undermining my performance in school?

Thanks again for putting up with all my questions. I feel bad for my future Big Sib haha.

I've heard from some people at LECOM that for the most part you spend about 6-8 hours a week on campus, but I've also read that you have class from 8 am till 3pm or 5pm...which would you say is more accurate or are both accurate just at different points of med school?

During the first 10 weeks you have anatomy which is still traditional lecture based, so at least for the 1st few months you'll be at school most of the day each day for lecture and lab. Also, at the beginning of one or two of your semesters you will have ~3 or so weeks of "mini-courses"..... things like jurisprudence, sexuality, behavioral science, etc... They're still lecture based but a good number of those lectures are powerpoints online that you don't have physically be there for.

Other than those times there is pretty much only 2 hours of stuff scheduled each day (PBL 3x a week, and OMM/CE lecture on Tues and OMM lab on Thurs) = 10 hrs on campus a week. Some people just stayed at school to study, others couldn't wait to leave and never studied at school, up to you.

Oh and I was wondering about this the other day...I box and do submission wrestling and would hate to quit (but will in the name of med school if necessary), do you think I'd have any opportunity to train without potentially undermining my performance in school?

It's going to totally depend on how well you're able to keep up and your time management skills. Generally speaking, for the entire first 2 years.... no, I don't think you'll have to give it up. Personally, I would probably wait until at least after anatomy is over, and maybe even until after that first semester to reintroduce any real time consuming hobby. I'm not sure of your time commitments assoc with those but if it's something like where you could go to the gym for an hour or two a few days a week then that shouldn't be a problem, and will probably help keep you sane. You still need to stay healthy, med school can be rough on your health.

There were some people who volunteered a LOT, others that had part time jobs here and there, many with families, and then I'm sure others who didn't find time for anything outside of school so you're gonna have to play it by ear, at least in the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Does anyone know about an "alternate list ranking?" I read somewhere that they were going to start ranking the alternate listers and that that would be done mid may. I am waiting on news and I didnt think that they ranked students on the list. Any feed back will help! :)

Hey guys! Does anyone know about an "alternate list ranking?" I read somewhere that they were going to start ranking the alternate listers and that that would be done mid may. I am waiting on news and I didnt think that they ranked students on the list. Any feed back will help! :)

I'm not entirely sure. I would imagine that there is some sort of ranking system. That way they'll know who they're going to take next if a spot becomes available...

I can't imagine they wouldn't do this, but I guess it's possible. They may not release the information, but you're probably in some sort of order somewhere...

I wouldn't worry about it too much...there's not alot you can do about your place on the list. Just pray and hang on! Stay in touch and remind them you still exist. The usual.

From what I know...there is a top 20. LECOM-B is already pulling people off of that list. As for everyone else, they say we are not ranked....yet.

I gave up my place on LECOM-B's alternate list earlier today.

Good luck to those of you still waiting to get that call :)

:D I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!! :D Sooooooo absolutely excited! Please don't give up hope guys, be persistent and your dream will come true!!! (and thanks swim for the open spot!) :thumbup:

Congrats Butterflylove! Were you notified that you were at the top of the wait list prior to finding out you were accepted?

Congrats Butterflylove! Were you notified that you were at the top of the wait list prior to finding out you were accepted?

Thank you so much! I had no idea where I was on the wait list, but I can tell you that I have been very excited about this school! Letting them know your excitement in a polite, professional way can really pay off. (personal message me if you like)

Congratulations, butterflylove! You must be so excited! I just saw in the paper yesterday that the 2009 class just graduated, and I find myself imagining when it is me...of course, I first have to get in...but someday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone for all of your support! I wish everyone else the best and I can not wait to meet my amazing new school mates! :D

So, as I just ordered a bunch of additional books for next year, I thought I'd share a couple that are great for anatomy that I wish I had at the beginning of the year... (both are in the library if you want to check them out first)

First is Netter's Clinincal Anatomy. It's a great condensed review book with some practice Q's and great illustrations.

Then, particularly since you guys are using Moore's Anatomy text, the Study Guide and Self-Examination Review for Clinically Oriented Anatomy is full of good review questions that are very similar to our test questions, very similar.

Aside from the required text, and an atlas of some sort this is all you really need for anatomy. Plus, the Netter's is small and can be used as a reference in PBL later instead of carrying around the huge Moore's.

So, as I just ordered a bunch of additional books for next year, I thought I'd share a couple that are great for anatomy that I wish I had at the beginning of the year... (both are in the library if you want to check them out first)

First is Netter's Clinincal Anatomy. It's a great condensed review book with some practice Q's and great illustrations.

Then, particularly since you guys are using Moore's Anatomy text, the Study Guide and Self-Examination Review for Clinically Oriented Anatomy is full of good review questions that are very similar to our test questions, very similar.

Aside from the required text, and an atlas of some sort this is all you really need for anatomy. Plus, the Netter's is small and can be used as a reference in PBL later instead of carrying around the huge Moore's.

Thanks Kate! I didn't actually know about those! I'll check them out!

Don't forget your histo book!

I just got an email from Ron with the official book list.

Attachments

• Class_2013_Book_List[1].doc
    295.5 KB · Views: 134
I just got an email from Ron with the official book list.

Disclaimer: The following are my opinions. I am not responsible for you getting yelled at or for any bad grades incured due to lack of a certain book. That being said, I'm still here. :D

Dictionary (Choose One)

Dorland Illustrated Medical Dictionary Dorland 9781416023647 31 $49.95

Stedman Medical Dictionary Stedman 9780781733908 28 $50.95

Either one is fine, but I personally use www.stedmans.com. or google because it's cheaper and I'm too lazy to carry a dictionary to class everyday.

Anatomy

Clinically Oriented Anatomy Moore 9780781775250 6 $84.95

Get it. Great book.

Anatomy Atlas (Choose One)

Atlas of Clinical Gross Anatomy Moses 9780323037440 1 $75.95

Color Atlas of Anatomy Rohen 9780781790130 6 $78.95

Atlas of Anatomy Gilroy 9781604060621 1 $74.95

Get Rohen's. Trust me. Get Rohen's. If anyone wants Moses I'll sell you mine...It's good, but not as useful as Rohen's.

Biochemistry

Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry Lieberman 9780781770224 3 $74.95

Get it.

Behavioral Science

Behavioral Science in Medicine Fadem 9780781736695 $42.95

You won't use this much during 1st year...seems like a good book though.

Clinical Examination

Twelve Lead ECG Garcia 9780763712846 $62.95

Mosby's Guide to Physical Exam and Online Video Series Seidel 9780323063678 6 $120.00

Get both of these. Make sure you get the version of the Mosby book that comes with the online videos. I didn't and had to buy them later...oops

Embryology (Choose One)

The Developing Human Moore 9781416037064 8 $69.95

Langman's Medical Embryology Sadler 9780781790697 11 $62.95

I like the Sadler book better personally.

Genetics

Medical Genetics Jorde 9780323040358 3 $64.95

You won't use this a whole lot...but seems good for genetics...

General PBL Cases (Integrative Medicine)

Integrative Medicine Rakel 9781416029540 2 $99.00

Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic & Lab Testes Pagana 9780323039031 3 $46.95

Definitely get the Mosby Lab Test book. I think integrative medicine is interesting, but you won't use the book much, except during the mini course at the start of 2nd semester.

Histology

Histology: A Text and Atlas Ross 9780781772211 5 $72.95

You'll need this during anatomy. Get it.

Immunology

Basic Immunology Abbas 9781416046882 3 $64.95

Meh. I'm not a huge fan of this book, but you'll have PBL required reading from it (at least, we did). This book reads MUCH better on Student Consult Online.

Internal Medicine (Choose One)

Cecil Textbook of Medicine Goldman 9781416028055 23 $149.00

Harrisons Principles of In Fauci 9780071466332 17 $199.00
Internal Medicine

This is the 21st Century and you don't need either of these bohemoths. You'll find the same (or better) info on UpToDate and that's far more portable and free (with school admission).

Microbiology

Problem-based Microbiology Nath 9780721606309 $42.95

Schaechter Mechanisms Microbial Disease Engleberg 9780781753425 4 $69.95

Dr. Nath teaches at the school. I haven't gotten the other book yet and have barely looked at Nath's. Also get "Micro made ridiculously simple"

Neuroanatomy
Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases Blumenfeld 9780878930609 $71.95

Great Book. Very helpful, even for anatomy. Get it.

Neuroanatomy Atlas
Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structure Haines 9780781763288 7 $69.95

Skip this one. Not a fan of this atlas.

Integrative Clinical Nutrition
Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism Gropper 9780495116578 5 $178.95

You'll need this one for the nutrition minicourse 2nd semester. Pricey though...sheesh. I just mooched off my friends.

OMM

Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine Ward 9780781734974 2 $135.00

An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis
and Treatment DiGiovanna 9780781742931 3 $99.95

I don't have either of these, so can't comment. Definitely get the Green Saverese OMM Review book though.

Pathology

Robbin's Pathologic Basis of Disease Kumar 9781416031215 8 $116.00

Get it. Also get the "review" question book and the mini book.

Physiology

Textbook Medical Physiology Guyton 9780721602400 11 $122.00

GET IT. Alot. Also get the "review" question book and the mini book.

Pharmacology

Basic and Clinical Pharmacology Katzung 9780071604055 11 $64.95

Get it. Also get the miniature version of the same book.

Digitl as always you are an advice beast/godsend! Thanks again!

Haha.... must be nice to have the summer off! :D

I'll 2nd all the recommendations he listed above.

-Don't get a dictionary, and if you really want to then get Stedman's. I got Dorlands, tried to use it first week and it either did not have what I was looking for or it used the term I looked up IN the definition..... not cool, so I haven't used it since.

-I didn't get either of the big OMM texts. Do get the green Savarse review book (the OMM club may sell it at some point during the year). Everything you need to do well in the class is on the lecture and lab powerpoints. Definitely get the book if you really want to dive deeper into OMM and have it as a reference but I just don't see how you'd the time to do that in the first 2 years.

-Micro - We also used Nath's micro book. It's good, but really meant as a review book and not a textbook to initially learn from. They changed the other one on the list so I don't know anything about it. If you haven't had any exposure to micro before it may be a little rough at first. Nath's book is basically a case study book. A lot of us got Micro Made Ridiculously Simple and I thought it was very helpful. Nath's book is separated into organ systems, so you have cases on resp infections, CNS infections, etc.... But when you're starting off it's kind of helpful to start off learning about the bugs when they're presented by type, like Gram + organisms, Gram - organisms, fungi, etc... At least for me, it helps to learn them as groups, learn what they have in common, and then learn the exceptions, and then start placing them into what sort of diseases they cause.

Hi guys!! I wanted to say thank you to digitl, nlax, and everybody else that has contributed with their input and guidance. I also wanted to ask if i should start ebaying (and buying) the books now, so i can find a good deal, of if it would be better for me to wait and see if i can buy them from other students.

Also, are any of you guys part of any of the clubs (like big sibs, etc)? if so, i think that is going to be very cool to have you as a big sib, since you are super nice to everyone in the forum, and have lots of patience!!!!

Hooray!!!! ... and hope to meet you some day!!! :luck::xf:

Pink Candy :soexcited:

Hi guys!! I wanted to say thank you to digitl, nlax, and everybody else that has contributed with their input and guidance. I also wanted to ask if i should start ebaying (and buying) the books now, so i can find a good deal, of if it would be better for me to wait and see if i can buy them from other students.

Also, are any of you guys part of any of the clubs (like big sibs, etc)? if so, i think that is going to be very cool to have you as a big sib, since you are super nice to everyone in the forum, and have lots of patience!!!!

Hooray!!!! ... and hope to meet you some day!!! :luck::xf:

Nlax was my big sib, which rocked. He won't be any of yours', since he's on rotations and into 3rd year.

I am doing the big sib club, so I'll get one of you probably...It's really not that much different than what we do on here. I had already gotten so much great advice from nlax, that I didn't really need that much once school started...not that I didn't still pester him a little bit...lol.

Books: you can go ahead and pick them up. Ebay. whatever.

I really like to use www.bigwords.com.

You can also check the lecom bradenton sga website classifieds and find some students selling on there occasionally. The other issue is that a good handful of your books are different than nlax's, and some are different than mine...

Last edited:
Question about the dress code. Are we expected to adhere to this during anatomy as well? I know the cadavers are prosected but just curious if we all stand around in nice clothes during the entire 10 week anatomy block? Thanks and looking forward to meeting you all soon!

pretty sure you wear scrubs in the lab..

No, unfortunately it's still dress code, even for lab. But you will have long white/lab coats you can wear.

Yea it's a little annoying but I never had a problem with messing up my clothes or smelling like a cadaver the rest of the day. The room is well ventilated, you aren't doing actual dissection so you aren't going to be hunched over it for hours with your arms inside. Most of the time you'll probably be at your table going through the lab assignment/powerpoint with your group, and then here and there go up to a cadaver for a few minutes to look at something.

The other option is to just come back after 5pm or on the weekends when you can wear whatever you want. The cadavers are usually left in the lab so you can use it whenever the school is open.

Hi, I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed somewhere but I am applying for the 2009-2010 cycle and I just received an e-mail from LECOM-B with my access info (username, password) for the LECOM portal.

The e-mail also lists 2 required essay questions: 1) "Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you posssess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician 2) "How do you envision yourself practicing medicine in the future (beyond residency)?"

My question is "How long do these essays have to be?"

Congrats to the Class of 2013 and best of :luck: to the Class of 2014 :xf:

So just wondering was the overall opinion on the international version of text books not worth it? I can save $100 by getting a few international versions but Im not sure if its worth it if all the chapters numbers will be different.

Also I want say thanks to nlax30 and digitlnoize for all the help, feedback, and insight. You guys are great, thanks so much!

I didn't get the international editions, but I know people who did. There may or may not be chapter number issues, I'm not entirely sure.

I DO know that they are usually NOT hardbound, and are also usually in Black and White.

While these aren't huge issues, if you're don't treat your books that gingerly, you may want to get the US versions, just for durability's sake. Also, sometimes the colored pics are just easier to see and understand.

I personally decided to go with used US books over the international editions...

To the poster above that who asked about the essay questions: I think I'll leave that to the new Class of 2013-ers. I'm a little far removed from that process now, and they've just finished it...

My question is "How long do these essays have to be?"

Gocatgo,

In the supplemental application email that was sent out last year, they specified:

"Also, please keep your essay to no more than one page of text or you may have a submission problem."

My essays were just under a page each, borrowed heavily from my personal statement, and I'm in, for whatever that's worth.

Dear digitl and nlax,

Have you found any of the books in the supplemental PBL booklist to be helpful, if not invaluable?

Dear digitl and nlax,

Have you found any of the books in the supplemental PBL booklist to be helpful, if not invaluable?

The only one that I actually bought for myself was Manter and Gatz's Essentials of Clinical Neurology. A couple of the professors recommended it for neuro review, and I liked it. It's actually a pretty small/thin book and definitely not as detailed or intimidating as the required neuro textbook, but it's useful especially for board review.

I occasionally used a few others throughout the 2 years but didn't buy them, just used the copies in the library:

- Lippincott's Illustrated Review: Biochemistry - There's also an "illustrated review" book in this series for pharm, a lot of people seem to like this series. I didn't use it a whole lot but sometimes it's just helpful to read a concept in a different book as having it explained in a different way can help.

Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment - Not really one you need to buy now as there are a few in the library, but I would just read the section on whatever disease our case was on to get a general overview of treatment/management of it.

Pathophysiology of Heart Disease by Lilly - A really good book on heart disease. Didn't get to read as much of it as I would have liked but there are 1 or 2 copies in the library and it could be helpful as supplement to Guyton physio when going through some of the cardiac issues.

Pathophysiology of Disease: An Introduction to Clinical Medicine Another more clinically oriented book that's good if you want a decent overview on whatever organ system or section you are studying. Not a hard read, but was usefully for me to help form a bigger picture view of whatever system I was on.

Those were really the only ones from that list that I used to any real degree. I wouldn't worry about trying to get any of those now since the library will have copies of them so you can use them there as supplemental references every now and then when you just want to read a little more about a particular system/disease.

Other books I used:

There's a "mini" pocketbook that goes along with the Guyton physio book that I used a lot, mainly for review. It's helpful when you're reviewing for a pbl test and have like 15 physio chapters to review, it was easy to just sit and read through those in the mini book for a pretty good review.

There's also a similar mini book that goes along with Robbins Path, didn't use it as much as the mini physio book but used it as a quick review of a chapter.

At some point I just quit using the larger pharm Katzung required book and only used the "smaller" katzung pharm review one (don't have it front of me so I don't know the official title). I think by 2nd year pretty much everyone was just using that smaller one and it seemed to be plenty. The big one does include more info on physio and background info at the beginning of chapter dealing with whatever system is being talked about, but it just got to be too much at times and I got tired of reading half a page about a specific drug only to see that the last sentence says, "though this drug is not available in the U.S or used in practice anymore" (which basically means you won't be tested on it).

Don't go overboard on extra books yet. You'll find out soon enough that there are WAY TOO many sources and review books out there and it can quickly become overwhelming. There are probably at least half a dozen review book series (BRS, Rapid Review, 1st aid, Pretest, etc....), each one having a book for just about every subject. And everyone has their own preferences on which they like best so as you have time look at some in the library and then go with what you like.

I will add that Rapid Review Pathology is one of the more popular review books and a LOT of people use that for path review (especially for the boards).

So much goings on lately! I just wanted to toss comments on a few topics

Intl books: I do have a few, the phys for sure is exactly like the others and in full color. I have had no problems with any of my books being any different, except that there are a few books where part of our class has the new version and part the old, so we have to figure out chapters sometimes. For the most part, the intl versions are soft cover but alot cheaper. My friend's phys book broke in two at the spine, but mine held out just fine. The soft covers are also a bit lighter, which is important when we have to carry around tons of books too!

On the book topic: I am with Digitl and nlax on most of what they said... for the pharm book, I used it for the first semester and after that only used the review, I got 100%'s on the pharm so it was plenty for what we needed. I also second his comment on the baby phys, and also the phys review book. I also go the baby path and the teenage path and didn't use those as much.

I have a ton of review books and flashcards which I have not even touched for this year. I tried to use the anatomy flashcards, but I really didn't have time for it. Plus, the cards are for the most part very general stuff.

I too did not ever purchase the two required OMM textbooks (along with most of our class). I do have the green Savarese book, and there is a new book that Dr. Cox is releasing on the sacrum stuff that I will get when it is available. Hope Dr. Cox is still going to be at LECOM next year though!

For CE, I just got the one Physical Exam text. There is an online video subscription that you are also supposed to get, and I had one with my book which I ended up sharing with many people, so if you don't get it with your book ask around!

The only other thing was the EKG book, which I did not crack this year, maybe I'm just a slacker. I read Dale Dubin's EKG book and the Phys book and that was good. I guess we get a good lecture next year from Dr. Heibel on EKGs so we'll see if I use it then.

Get the basics for books, you will undoubtedly add to your collection much throughout the years, and then sell it all for pennies on the dollar! My best advise is to take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. You will get so many different accounts of what is the best way to study or which books are the best and the bottom line is that different things work for different people so you have to figure out what works for you. Our school library has a bunch of review books for you to look at and you can always buy what you like.

I will be a big sib to some lucky person next year too! I have a ton of stuff that I got from my big sibs and will be happy to share!

Good luck with everyone's moving and preparations. Enjoy the rest of your summers!

Also, are any of you guys part of any of the clubs (like big sibs, etc)?

I don't think we're included in the big sibs list since we're 4th yrs but I do have a few little sibs that i keep up with, I also teach the emergency medicine and 2nd yr skills lab, feel free to PM me if you have any q's. good luck!

Last edited:
I DO know that they are usually NOT hardbound, and are also usually in Black and White
my robbins and guyton are colored...I am not sure of blk/wht ones but I do remember the 10th ed guyton are not colored. they had just changed to 11th ed right when I started. as for beating them up, they can get pretty abused. buy kitchen contact paper from wal mart for $4 and cover them. it'll save you a huge hassel with torn covers, coffee stains...etc.

Did anyone else almost just vomit a little bit when they got the email that mentioned the first PBL test? Just me?

September 25th.

Did anyone else almost just vomit a little bit when they got the email that mentioned the first PBL test? Just me?

September 25th.

That's ok. Don't sweat the 1st PBL test. That first one is cake compared to anatomy. At least, I thought so.

That being said, do your best to ace it. It's only worth 10% or so, but every little bit helps.

We have our 1st PBL test on Sept. 24th, and they just emailed us and told us that we have, in addition to a bunch of Microbio chapters, Thorax anatomy and Cardio/Respiratory Histo and Embryo. Sheesh.

They ended with, "get some relaxation this summer." Thanks LECOM. :rolleyes:

I didn't vomit, but I almost did :) I am actually glad that they gave us a heads up. I was more shocked at the booklist, it's pretty gnarley. I am so excited, moving down to Bradenton this weekend!!!! :) anyone know of any good gyms in the area?

I didn't vomit, but I almost did :) I am actually glad that they gave us a heads up. I was more shocked at the booklist, it's pretty gnarley. I am so excited, moving down to Bradenton this weekend!!!! :) anyone know of any good gyms in the area?

There's a Lifestyles on SR-70 just west of I-75, like 5-10min from school that a lot of people went to. There's also a YMCA literally right next to the school that some folks used.

My community had a workout room so I just used that so I can't speak to any sort of "quality" or what types of machines they had.

We have our 1st PBL test on Sept. 24th, and they just emailed us and told us that we have, in addition to a bunch of Microbio chapters, Thorax anatomy and Cardio/Respiratory Histo and Embryo. Sheesh.

You may wanna note that the first PBL test of 2nd year is usually the hardest of all. They seem to like to "shock" you back into reality by giving you a poor grade to begin with. My class averaged about 10 points lower than usual on it. If I recall correctly they had to curve it so that at least one person would make an A. Dunno if they did it the same way last year....but be forewarned!

You may wanna note that the first PBL test of 2nd year is usually the hardest of all. They seem to like to "shock" you back into reality by giving you a poor grade to begin with. My class averaged about 10 points lower than usual on it. If I recall correctly they had to curve it so that at least one person would make an A. Dunno if they did it the same way last year....but be forewarned!

Thanks for the headsup. Great. I can't wait.

that and OMM.....it was the 1st or 2nd test that had a real low avg?

that and OMM.....it was the 1st or 2nd test that had a real low avg?

I don't remember when it was, but the OMM test that was so awful, at least for me, was the ileum and sacrum test. For those of you who take this test just memorize Fotop's "cheat" sheet and don't even think about the questions. If you take the time to think about them you will never finish the test.

Also, all the OMM tests did seem to be a bit harder in the second year. If you were thinking that they will all be easy A's....you'd better change that thought :)

I got my big sibs match today!! Is it too early to start contacting?

LECOM Bradenton DO Class of 2009
Internship and Residency Matches by Specialty
Specialty City/State

Anesthesiology
Thomas Jefferson University Philadelphia,PA
University at Buffalo Buffalo,NY
University of Florida, Shands Gainsville,FL
University Hospital, Case Medical Center Cleveland,OH
Doctors Hospital Columbus,OH
UPMC Mercy Pittsburgh,PA
Alleghany/West Pennsylvania Pittsburgh,PA
Riverside County Regional Medical Center Moreno Valley, CA
University of Connecticut, Hartford Hospital Hartford,CT

Emergency Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center Hershey,PA
University of Florida, Shands Jacksonville,FL
Memorial Hospital York,PA
University at Buffalo Buffalo,NY
University of Alabama, Birmingham Birmingham,AL
Allegheny General Hospital Pittsburgh,PA
Albert Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia,PA
Albert Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia,PA
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center Colton,CA
Botsford Hospital Farmington Hills,MI
MSU/KCMS Kalamazoo,MI
CCOM St. James Olympia Fields,IL
Oakwood Southshore Trenton,MI
St. Lukes Hospital Bethlehem,PA
Frankford Hospital Philadelphia,PA
Mount Sinai Miami Beach,FL
C. Darnell/Army Fort Hood Killeen,TX
Texas A&M, Christus Spohn Corpus Christi,TX

Family Practice
Grandview Hospital Dayton,OH
Columbus Regional Medical Center Columbus,GA
University of Iowa, Mercy North Iowa Mason City,IA
Middlesex Middletown,CT
St. Anthony Family Medicine Denver,CO
Pacific Hospital of Long Beach Long Beach,CA
University of Kansas, Wesley Medical Center Wichita,KS
UMKC, Truman Medical Center Lee's Summit,MO
Duke University Durham,NC
University of Minnesota, Methodist Hospital St. Louis Park,MN
University of Wisconsin, Aurora St. Lukes Milwaukee,WI
Florida Hospital East Orlando,FL
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville,FL
Lincoln Medical Education Foundation Lincoln,NE
New Hanover Regional Medical Center Wilmington,NC
Bay Area Medical Center Corpus Christi,TX
St. Vincents Jacksonville,FL
Medical College of Wisconsin, St. Joseph's Hospital Milwaukee,WI
Florida Hospital East Orlando,FL
Largo Medical Center,Suncoast Hospital Largo,FL
St. Petersburg General St. Petersburg,FL

Family Practice/EM
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital Pontiac,MI

General Surgery
Mercy Medical Center Des Moines,IA
St. John Episcopal Hospital Far Rockaway,NY
Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center Mount Clemens,MI
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital Clinton Twn,MI
St. John Episcopal Hospital Far Rockaway,NY
National Naval Medical Center Bethesda,MD

IM/EM
Frankford Hospital Philadelphia,PA
St. John Health System,Osteopathic Division Macomb-Warren,MI

Internal Medicine
St. Joseph's Medical Center Warren,OH
University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston,TX
St. James Hospital Olympia Fields,IL
Garden City Hospital Garden City,MI
Swedish Covenant Chicago,IL
UMDNJ Stratford,NJ
Naval Medical Center, San Diego San Diego,CA
Cleveland Clinic Foundation Cleveland,OH
Swedish Covenant Chicago,IL
Winthrop University Hospital Mineola,NY
Medical College of Wisconsin, Froedtert Hospital Milwaukee,WI
UMDNJ Stratford,NJ
University of Southern California Los Angeles,CA
The Cleveland Clinic Cleveland,OH
Lankenau Hospital Wynnewood,PA
Cleveland Clinic Cleveland,OH
University of Miami, JFK Medical Center West Palm Beach,FL
South Pointe Hospital,Cleveland Clinic Health System Cleveland,OH
Northside Hospital St. Petersburg,FL
Nassau University Medical Center East Meadow,NY
UMDNJ Stratford,NJ
West Penn Pittsburgh,PA
MCH-Erie Erie,PA
South Pointe Hospital,Cleveland Clinic Health System Cleveland,OH

Neurosurgery
MWU-CCOM BroMenn Regional Medical Center Bloomington,IL
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center Colton,CA

Neurology
Henry Ford Hospital Detroit,MI
University of Maryland, Lankenau Hospital Baltimore,MD
University of Florida at Jacksonville Jacksonville,FL
University of California,Irvine Orange,CA

OB/Gyn
Oklahoma State University Medical Center Tulsa,OK
UMDNJ Stratford,NJ
NEOUCOM, Aultman Hospital Canton,OH
Lehigh Valley Hospital Allentown,PA
York Memorial York,PA

Orthopedic Surgery
Oklahoma State University Medical Center Tulsa,OK

Pathology

Pediatrics
Emory University, Children's Hospital of Atlanta Atlanta,GA
University of Texas Medical Branch,Dell Children's HospitaAl ustin,TX
Arnold Palmer Hospital Orlando,FL
Doctors Hospital, Nationwide Childrens Columbus,OH

Pediatrics/EM
University of Maryland Baltimore,MD

PM&R
University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh,PA
University of California,Irvine Irvine,CA
USF Tampa,FL

Psychiatry
University of New Mexico Albuquerque,NM
Medical University of South Carolina Charleston,SC
LSU/HSC New Orleans,LA

Radiology
Long Island College Hospital Brooklyn,NY
Grandview Hospital Dayton,OH
Medical College of Georgia Augusta,GA
Aultman Hospital Canton,OH

Tradional Rotating Internship
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital Clinton Twn,MI
Palmetto General Hospital Hialeah,FL
Bay Area Medical Center Corpus Christi,TX
Botsford Hospital Farmington Hills,MI
Huron Valley Sinai Commerce,MI
:):):):):):):):):)

Hey guys! Just doing some budgeting and when do we get our student loans in? I heard it's not till a couple weeks after class starts. And do they give it to you all in one big check or monthly deposits?

Hey guys! Just doing some budgeting and when do we get our student loans in? I heard it's not till a couple weeks after class starts. And do they give it to you all in one big check or monthly deposits?

Probably around the 3rd week or so of August. One big check for the semester. You get another one in late Jan. but that one has to last longer!

Probably around the 3rd week or so of August. One big check for the semester. You get another one in late Jan. but that one has to last longer!

It's the opposite for 3rd and 4th year. You get the first check in mid June. This one has ALL the miscellaneous stuff taken out of it for the year-- everything except your second 6 months of health insurance charge. That one has to last for 7 months because it has to has to last all the way until late January. But, it is smaller than the January check. The January check is much bigger because it doesn't have all of the fees taken out of it and it only has to last for 5 months.

So.... plan accordingly.