LECOM Bradenton Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, the other 6-7 people were other applicants. The questions are based on PBL, LECOM, and osteopathic medicine. They will ask the question, but not to any one specific person. They want to see how you interact as a group, so its open to anyone who wants to answer the question and discuss it among the others. I didn't find the group interview very constructive as some people really like to talk, and it kind of keeps you from speaking your mind. But for a PBL setting, I guess its necessary to see how people react to being in a group setting.

Interesting, thanks much

Members don't see this ad.

I just called LECOM... accepted!! :soexcited::banana::biglove:

I hope everyone has the best of luck with their applications... stay positive!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You found out in 5 days? Wasn't your interview just on the 12th??

You found out in 5 days? Wasn't your interview just on the 12th??

Yea I interviewed on the 12th with 17 other people. During the interview they told us that if our files were complete the decision would be made within a week. My status changed to "A deicision has been made on your file. You will receive a letter within 30 days". So I called and they informed me over the phone.

I was super impressed with the campus, the curriculum, and the students. This is most likely where I'll be attending.

Again, I wish all of you the best of luck and multiple acceptances.

Just got a call from the admissions office saying I got an interview invite!! I'm super excited!

Interview 8/26 Flying in at midnight the night before :(, flying out 8/26
$254 Flight Michigan to Tampa
$69 Hotel country in and suites
$32 Car Rental

27Q
3.8 Cum GPA

For those that already interviewed, did they ask the same 12 questions that are posted on the internet?

The first question was the tell me something not on your file question.
The rest, in no particular order are:
1. Why osteopathy?
2. Medical school is stressful, how do you relieve yourself of stress.
3. Tell me about your leadership roles, describe.
4. How do you resolve conflict.
5. Tell me about your communication, are you better written or verbal.
6. Strengths (it was worded differently, but I can remember how)
7. After my strengths he said, "and what do you need to work on?"
8. I was asked something about PBL
9. Give an example of when a group approach worked better than an individual.
10. What would be some reasons to choose a D.O over an MD.
11. Have you been treated by a DO.
12. Summarize the article on xxx (it was an easy and interesting read, so don't sweat it).

BSEE and MBA
3.97 GPA post bach classes 42 credits.
I've visited the LECOM-B website, and I'm not sure what you mean by the twelve questions posted on the internet. Mind sharing? I have an interview coming up too! Thanks!

As I read about PBL, I am getting excited about this school.

Interviewing next Friday!

I just checked my portal. It now says that the admissions committee wants all LORs before making a decision on my file.

Members don't see this ad :)
That happened to me also....but I got an interview. They had problems with my application since I just got married and had a change of name.

I've visited the LECOM-B website, and I'm not sure what you mean by the twelve questions posted on the internet. Mind sharing? I have an interview coming up too! Thanks!
'

my original post had the 12 items in it that I was referring to that you quoted, I found that on the forums some where... I was told that it wasnt structured like that though... so perhaps just be prepared to answer those questions if asked..

'

my original post had the 12 items in it that I was referring to that you quoted, I found that on the forums some where... I was told that it wasnt structured like that though... so perhaps just be prepared to answer those questions if asked..
Oh, I see. Thanks for filling me in! I'll be interviewing August 29th. Any idea how it is structured?

That happened to me also....but I got an interview. They had problems with my application since I just got married and had a change of name.

I just sent in my letters. I wonder what the problem is with my app. Did you ask them the reasoning behind the status change?

If any of you fine SDNers are interviewing tomorrow and want to grab some food or head to the beach, send me a PM. Hanging out in the Wingate by LECOM at the moment.

Awww, too bad you're not interviewing on the 29th! I'll be at the beach on Sunday (28th)!

LastPolarBear:11464279 said:

I just sent in my letters. I wonder what the problem is with my app. Did you ask them the reasoning behind the status change?

I didn't get a chance to. They called while I was at work and left a message saying that they had some trouble with my app but they were giving me an interview. Are you retaking your MCAT? I also said I was retaking mine but decided not too so they were waiting on those scores.

Hey guys,

Just interviewed here today. Love this place!

The day starts out with an introduction, then you have a 15 minute one on one interview (It's very relaxed, so just be yourself). I was asked about the master's program i'm currently in and some questions about PBL.

After the interview you get to observe a PBL in session. This lasts about an hour. Then you shuffle into a group interview (45 minutes). We were asked several ethical questions, but no one was put on the spot (Open forum. Whoever wants to answer can do so at anytime). Everyone in the group was given a great opportunity to express themselves, and it was very conversational and relaxed.

The rest of the day consisted of small presentations and lunch with the second years.

Overall, I am very impressed by this school. The facilities are immaculate, and the professors seem to genuinely care about the students (and the prospective students). PBL definitely creates a unique learning environment. Probably not for everyone, but for the self motivated it is the only way to go in my opinion. Definitely excited about this place.

Good luck to all those still interviewing!

Adam

I'll echo what Adamb83 said, apparently he was in my interview group. The LECOM admissions staff did a great job of making everyone feel relaxed. My interviewer was very warm and friendly and I did not feel nervous at all during the one-on-one interview. I had some reservations about PBL, LECOM-B as a whole, and the area, but I've put them aside after the interview. Here's to hoping for an acceptance next week!

I'll echo what Adamb83 said, apparently he was in my interview group. The LECOM admissions staff did a great job of making everyone feel relaxed. My interviewer was very warm and friendly and I did not feel nervous at all during the one-on-one interview. I had some reservations about PBL, LECOM-B as a whole, and the area, but I've put them aside after the interview. Here's to hoping for an acceptance next week!

Thanks guys/gals!
I interview this Friday.. flying in late Thursday :( then flying out right after interview...

What materials did you need to bring? I just printed off the informational PDF's that they emailed us and then I am taking print outs of the MSAR PDF for DO schools. Some light reading for the plane ride.

Hey guys,

Just interviewed here today. Love this place!

The day starts out with an introduction, then you have a 15 minute one on one interview (It's very relaxed, so just be yourself). I was asked about the master's program i'm currently in and some questions about PBL.

After the interview you get to observe a PBL in session. This lasts about an hour. Then you shuffle into a group interview (45 minutes). We were asked several ethical questions, but no one was put on the spot (Open forum. Whoever wants to answer can do so at anytime). Everyone in the group was given a great opportunity to express themselves, and it was very conversational and relaxed.

The rest of the day consisted of small presentations and lunch with the second years.

Overall, I am very impressed by this school. The facilities are immaculate, and the professors seem to genuinely care about the students (and the prospective students). PBL definitely creates a unique learning environment. Probably not for everyone, but for the self motivated it is the only way to go in my opinion. Definitely excited about this place.

Good luck to all those still interviewing!

Adam

Yeah, our group interview was interesting... they were really laying the MedEthics questions on us haha

Thanks guys/gals!
I interview this Friday.. flying in late Thursday :( then flying out right after interview...

What materials did you need to bring? I just printed off the informational PDF's that they emailed us and then I am taking print outs of the MSAR PDF for DO schools. Some light reading for the plane ride.

Just go over your AACOMAS application, review your personal statement. Look over LECOM-B's page in the AACOM CIB. Look at the sample questions in the SDN Interview Feedback Section. You'll be fine. My interview questions were more geared towards me and my application vs. generic questions that they ask everyone.

Oh and deep breath, relax. It really was a low-stress interview, I walked away with a very good feeling. :D

Has anyone seen this before on LECOM-B application status:"Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 60 days." I did call on Friday asking the status of my application because it was taking awhile. Do you think they would put me in the penalty box?

I'm confused because I have an interview scheduled with LECOM Erie.

I'm interviewing next Monday Aug 29th. I looked up the weather and it says there's thunderstorms all this week...
For those of you who just interviewed: how was the weather??

Umm... Holy shnikes!!! Dude, it doesn't just say Thunderstorms, it say "tropical storm possible".... Oh goodness.... that is NOT good!

Last edited:
Umm... Holy shnikes!!! Dude, it doesn't just say Thunderstorms, it say "tropical storm possible".... Oh goodness.... that is NOT good!

Yeah, I'm driving down from VA for a rotation at USF in Tampa, and have been watching the storm...

If you guys do decide to come to LECOM-B, remember that this is Florida, and we do get hurricanes and CRAZY summer storms. That being said, the Tampa area actually has a very low chance of being hit directly by hurricanes...

Get friendly with this site:

www.flhurricane.com

The current storm track is here: http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/stormspotlight.php?year=2011&storm=9

2 of the many predicted storm tracks are showing it coming to the west coast, but most show it going up the east coast, hitting probably Palm Beach and/or Jacksonville, before making landfall around the GA state line. Of course the hurricane is wide, so Tampa will probably be getting a decent thunderstorm.

Also, it's a pretty weak "hurricane" right now, so it shouldn't be too bad. Bring an umbrella with a vent, and prepare for some icky weather, but you shouldn't have to be scared of "disaster-area" level stuff.

I'm leaving VA on Saturday, so I'm probably going to be driving into the storm. Yay me.

I'm not worried about the interview on Monday, I'm worried about GETTING to the interview on Monday! I have to fly through Atlanta on Saturday @1230pm! So I am worried about delays due to weather, and them cancelling my flight or something.... By Monday this weather will be gone... and there will be something new to deal with :) for the record, I will drive through the hurricane before I'll let Delta make me miss my interview... Digital-you'll get to say you drove through a hurricane to get there :)

I am curious, by offering invites, LECOM feels we are academically qualified to go to school right? My interview will hopefully be the deciding factor and not my grades/MCAT? Thoughts?

Hey guys, does anyone know what it means when an application is on hold? For over 6 weeks, on the portal, it said that my app is under review. But when I called today, Dolly (one of the receptionists) told me that my app is on hold and that she would send it in to a counselor for review. I submitted the app in mid june, so I thought that they have or currently are already reviewing it?

I've been complete since 7/27 and mine still says under review too...not sure if I should call them too and see whats up with it

I am curious, by offering invites, LECOM feels we are academically qualified to go to school right? My interview will hopefully be the deciding factor and not my grades/MCAT? Thoughts?

They are at least interested in you. :)
The interview is there to make sure that you will be a good fit for PBL and you can work together (as well as challenge one-another without getting butt-hurt) as a team. PBL isn't for everyone, just make sure that it is for you if you plan on attending LECOM-B.

Good luck on Monday!

They are at least interested in you. :)
The interview is there to make sure that you will be a good fit for PBL and you can work together (as well as challenge one-another without getting butt-hurt) as a team. PBL isn't for everyone, just make sure that it is for you if you plan on attending LECOM-B.

Good luck on Monday!

Thanks, I think I will do well in the PBL, I dislike lectures and I have been a post-bacc student doing many in-person and online courses, and have not had a problem making time to study. I am more concerned that the feedback I'm getting from schools who are rejecting me is that my GPA/MCAT are too low (3.18c/s, 26Q, 3.83 PB cGPA, 3.92 PB sGPA) My PB work is ~80 credits, and it's not seeming to count for anything... so, I'm just concerned that I will get there and this will end up screwing me... if not, if I really have a chance on Monday, I will take it, as LECOM-B just moved into top-spot for where I would like to attend...

Where are you guys renting a car from?

I'm looking for the least expensive way to do it, as I am 23. Are there car rental companies at the Sarasota airport?

I'm not worried about the interview on Monday, I'm worried about GETTING to the interview on Monday! Digital-you'll get to say you drove through a hurricane to get there :)

You'll be fine...worst case you'll get to Atlanta and have to drive, which is doable...

You may not know it, but I'm a 4th year LECOM-B student, btw. I'm driving down for a rotation at USF, not an interview...not sure if you knew that or not.

Having lived there for 2.5 years, I've driven through a few "hurricanes."

Hurricanes are almost never a big deal. Unless its a 5 when its barreling down on land everything is ok. Even if it is a 5 there is only a bout a 20 mile wide area that gets any real hurricane type weather. I had charlie(a cat. 4) hit about a half hour drive south of me and it was nothing more than a bad thunderstorm.

You'll be fine...worst case you'll get to Atlanta and have to drive, which is doable...

You may not know it, but I'm a 4th year LECOM-B student, btw. I'm driving down for a rotation at USF, not an interview...not sure if you knew that or not.

Having lived there for 2.5 years, I've driven through a few "hurricanes."

You still get to say it! I will drive if I have to, but I'd prefer not to have to do an 8.5hr drive on Saturday, through a hurricane, although I'm thinking about packing my bottle of rain-x just in case.

Hurricanes are almost never a big deal. Unless its a 5 when its barreling down on land everything is ok. Even if it is a 5 there is only a bout a 20 mile wide area that gets any real hurricane type weather. I had charlie(a cat. 4) hit about a half hour drive south of me and it was nothing more than a bad thunderstorm.

Not worried about it so much as the storm, just it grounding planes in ATL... we have tornadoes and thunderstorms in MN, I'm perfectly able to deal with bad weather... but they don't like to land them or have them take off in storms...

Is anyone calling tomorrow to find out if we are accepted or not from last weeks interview? They did not mention anything about it, but I know others have called on Wednesday in the past.

Is anyone calling tomorrow to find out if we are accepted or not from last weeks interview? They did not mention anything about it, but I know others have called on Wednesday in the past.

I was planning on calling tomorrow or thursday. :xf:

I interviewed Friday. It says a decision has been made. I'm thinking about calling, but not sure if that is appropriate. Any thoughts??? :)

I interviewed Friday. It says a decision has been made. I'm thinking about calling, but not sure if that is appropriate. Any thoughts??? :)

I am debating the same thing haha.

Well go ahead and call. You are welcome to check mine while you're on the phone. j\k