LECOM Bradenton Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been waiting to get pulled off the alternate list since late April, and have been driving myself absolutely bonkers every morning - checking my email, waiting by my phone, reading different threads for any updates, etc. - as most people in my position. :scared:

Sent in LOI as soon as my interview day was over, I'm finishing up my masters this semester with a current standing cGPA of 3.5, involved with the community and volunteering weekly.. I'm not sure what else I can do during this waiting period. Annette has been very helpful with responding to my emails but her answers are always vague.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Congrats to the recent acceptances!
I am in almost the exact same situation. When I asked Annette about how they rank the waitlist she said they don't, but I've been hearing differently from people on these forums, any idea if it's true? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you do your masters program? I am planning on starting at USF in Aigust if I don't get into LECOM.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in almost the exact same situation. When I asked Annette about how they rank the waitlist she said they don't, but I've been hearing differently from people on these forums, any idea if it's true? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you do your masters program? I am planning on starting at USF in Aigust if I don't get into LECOM.

No idea how the ranking (or lack thereof) works on the wait list. I'm assuming that they must have some sort of system that they go by in order to determine the "next 30" to pull from the list though. The uncertainty about the way this alternate list works sure is adding to the anxiety..

I'm finishing up my masters at USF, there's a couple people from my program that will be attending LECOM this fall. Have you already applied to the program at USF? It's a decent program to establish your core science foundation, if that's your goal. If med school doesn't pan out for me, I'm just going to go live on an island somewhere and play my ukulele for some coconuts, chicharrón, and plantains.

When did you interview at LECOM? Are you going to wait until the absolute last day to hear back from LECOM before starting your masters? Apparently, they could possibly call you just days before the first day of class, you know. /facepalm

Good luck with everything, stay positive! And please share when you *do* get that phone call from Annette or Ron! :xf:

Last edited:
**oops. I meant to say "transferred to Bradenton" or "transferred from Erie".

Good luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. Could any recently accepted applicants give me an idea of their stats. I'm looking to apply this cycle (2012-2013) with a 3.3 cumulative and 28 mcat. Just trying to get an idea, thanks in advance!

Hi everyone. Could any recently accepted applicants give me an idea of their stats. I'm looking to apply this cycle (2012-2013) with a 3.3 cumulative and 28 mcat. Just trying to get an idea, thanks in advance!

I intervied in Nov., was waitlisted and accepted 1 month later in early December. My stats are 28 best overall MCAT, 10BS, 10VR, 8PS. Undergrad science = bad, 3.0ish, Grad gpa = 3.7. I got my M.S. in Biomedical Sciences at Barry Univ. which I think helped a lot along with my improved MCAT by the 3rd try. Best of luck to you!!! I'm sure you'll do well.

3.6 GPA, 3.4 sGPA, 28Q MCAT (10 on V and B), Honors college student, took some extra courses in upper-level calculus and psychology. I interviewed March 30 (I was offered one on March 2, but rescheduled because I already had one scheduled that day) and was waitlisted. I was accepted at LECOM Erie on my birthday (May 22), two weeks before I was pulled off Bradenton's waitlist. I sent updated transcripts for a while and was taking two extra science courses (one was a retake post-graduation) when I got called.

I just got the acceptance call from Ron! I'm beyond myself from excitement! :D:D:D

To anyone still waiting for that call - keep your head up and keep in touch with the admissions office. Seriously. There's nothing to lose!

I just got the acceptance call from Ron! I'm beyond myself from excitement! :D:D:D

To anyone still waiting for that call - keep your head up and keep in touch with the admissions office. Seriously. There's nothing to lose!
Congrats! I can only imagine how excited you are, I'm so happy for you! I could tell you were really passionate about attending LECOM :)

To those who wrote Letter of Intents to the Admissions office, could you please share what sort of info you included, and who you addressed your letters to?

Thank you!

OMG MJuicy you are good luck, just accepted off the waitlist!!

To those who wrote Letter of Intents to the Admissions office, could you please share what sort of info you included, and who you addressed your letters to?

Thank you!
I wrote a letter to each person that interviewed me and I wrote a few to the admissions commitee in general. The first couple were pretty generic "if you accept me I will attend your school, this is why I would be a good fit, etc." The last letter I wrote after listening to an interesting interview on NPR one morning about how we deal with death and dying in medicine. I had sort of been inspired by what this guy said and I wanted to write a more personal letter about myself. I can't say that either letter made a difference but it certainly didn't hurt. Good luck!

Congrats Mjuicy!

Congrats! I can only imagine how excited you are, I'm so happy for you! I could tell you were really passionate about attending LECOM :)

OMG MJuicy you are good luck, just accepted off the waitlist!!

Thank you thank you thank you!

And OMG I'm SO excited for you rja06cfsu! :clap::clap::clap: I told ya it'd be worth being persistent! I can't wait to meet you and everyone in July! Hope you're keeping up with the FB group, there's a lot to catch up on :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you thank you thank you!

And OMG I'm SO excited for you rja06cfsu! :clap::clap::clap: I told ya it'd be worth being persistent! I can't wait to meet you and everyone in July! Hope you're keeping up with the FB group, there's a lot to catch up on :)
I will definitely have to join the fb group when I get home. I'm stuck at work until 7 tonight which totally sucks cause all I want to do is celebrate but it will jsut have to wait until after work :) Can't wait to meet everyone, I hope there are still people on the fb group looking for a roomie :)

Congrats to those just accepted! :) I have also been on the waitlist for a few months now and I got an email a few weeks ago asking if I was still interested in being a first year student. I sent a LOI two months ago and also called and emailed back to reaffirm my interest after I got that email. For those that were accepted off the waitlist recently did you guys call or email Annette or Ron often? I want to keep in touch but not really sure what more I could say that I have not said already :/ Hoping to get that phone call soon but feeling a little discouraged at this point..if anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated!!

Congrats to those just accepted! :) I have also been on the waitlist for a few months now and I got an email a few weeks ago asking if I was still interested in being a first year student. I sent a LOI two months ago and also called and emailed back to reaffirm my interest after I got that email. For those that were accepted off the waitlist recently did you guys call or email Annette or Ron often? I want to keep in touch but not really sure what more I could say that I have not said already :/ Hoping to get that phone call soon but feeling a little discouraged at this point..if anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated!!

I can't speak for anyone else but I truly believe my persistence of showing interest (borderline harassment) had ultimately helped the committee to notice me and pull me off the wait list.

What I had been doing up until the day I got the phone call was keep Annette updated on a weekly basis via email, and then one day I happened to get an auto-generated out-of-office reply from her that listed Ron as an alternate contact for any questions or inquiries. I emailed Ron letting him know that I had been on the waiting list for some time and that I wanted to show my interest for LECOM by submitting extra LOR, LOI, etc. if he thought that those would help the committee to consider my application favorably. Instead of an email response (which had been my only form of communication with Annette), Ron kindly called me to give me some much appreciated insight on the waitlist status (which I shared a couple posts ago). I wrote him another email after our phone conversation and that's when he called me back to tell me that they had accepted me!

I know the waiting is extremely difficult. But if you realize that there's about a month left before the first day of class, and still a handful of people waiting to be called from the waiting list besides yourself, you have to do the most you can to make yourself stand out from the rest of the people... At least you won't have any regrets down the line if you've really tried your best -- as cheesy as that sounds. I really hope you hear from them soon, best of luck to you!!

I can't speak for anyone else but I truly believe my persistence of showing interest (borderline harassment) had ultimately helped the committee to notice me and pull me off the wait list.

What I had been doing up until the day I got the phone call was keep Annette updated on a weekly basis via email, and then one day I happened to get an auto-generated out-of-office reply from her that listed Ron as an alternate contact for any questions or inquiries. I emailed Ron letting him know that I had been on the waiting list for some time and that I wanted to show my interest for LECOM by submitting extra LOR, LOI, etc. if he thought that those would help the committee to consider my application favorably. Instead of an email response (which had been my only form of communication with Annette), Ron kindly called me to give me some much appreciated insight on the waitlist status (which I shared a couple posts ago). I wrote him another email after our phone conversation and that's when he called me back to tell me that they had accepted me!

I know the waiting is extremely difficult. But if you realize that there's about a month left before the first day of class, and still a handful of people waiting to be called from the waiting list besides yourself, you have to do the most you can to make yourself stand out from the rest of the people... At least you won't have any regrets down the line if you've really tried your best -- as cheesy as that sounds. I really hope you hear from them soon, best of luck to you!!
This is exactly what happened to me. Emailed Annette, got the oof reply, emailed Ron, and got the call. I have also been emailing them frequently to make sure they know I am still interested. I really think they take this into account, they want people that are super excited and passionate, which I am sure you are. So just make sure they know it! Good luck :)

That just happened to me too... I sent in an additional letter of rec last week and called this morning to confirm that they received it. Ron called me about 2 hours later with an acceptance offer. Good luck everybody... I am super excited! just have to find a place to live now.

That just happened to me too... I sent in an additional letter of rec last week and called this morning to confirm that they received it. Ron called me about 2 hours later with an acceptance offer. Good luck everybody... I am super excited! just have to find a place to live now.
Yeah I'm looking for a place too, unfortunately I had really given up hope of getting into LECOM and had signed a lease at a place in Tampa (was planning on attending the masters program there). Anyone know of anybody looking for a place near USF?

This is exactly what happened to me. Emailed Annette, got the oof reply, emailed Ron, and got the call. I have also been emailing them frequently to make sure they know I am still interested. I really think they take this into account, they want people that are super excited and passionate, which I am sure you are. So just make sure they know it! Good luck :)

Well, now I'm really discouraged...

I've sent in an additional LOR, updated MCAT scores, and have emailed/called quite frequently (once every week) expressing my continued interest in attending, to no avail. I will keep trying, but I think there's more to it than persistence. I just wish I knew what it was.

To everyone still waiting on their acceptance, if you don't get in this year, consider it a blessing! Take some time to travel, volunteer, and improve your application. But most importantly, have lots of fun!! I had a year off between undergrad and LECOM and I am so thankful for it. At the time, I though my life was over and I was a failure. My biggest piece of advice, send in your application NOW! And send updates as needed. The sooner you get the application in, the better! Good luck and don't stress it! Sometimes life gives you what you need, not what you want!

To everyone still waiting on their acceptance, if you don't get in this year, consider it a blessing! Take some time to travel, volunteer, and improve your application. But most importantly, have lots of fun!! I had a year off between undergrad and LECOM and I am so thankful for it. At the time, I though my life was over and I was a failure. My biggest piece of advice, send in your application NOW! And send updates as needed. The sooner you get the application in, the better! Good luck and don't stress it! Sometimes life gives you what you need, not what you want!
That's some great advice! I had two years off in between undergrad and I am not going to start in August. I loved it, gave me time to spend with my boyfriend (he is starting pharmacy school this year), and I got to move in with my brother and hang out with him for a year so that was great. UTK is right, enjoy your time off :)

Can any current students give me some information about the PBL style? For instance, how difficult was it to get use to PBL vs. tradional lectures? I am considering whether to apply. I would love to use PBL because I get bored with lectures but I'm unsure about a complete PBL curriculum because I have never used it. Pros/cons? Thanks.

Can any current students give me some information about the PBL style? For instance, how difficult was it to get use to PBL vs. tradional lectures? I am considering whether to apply. I would love to use PBL because I get bored with lectures but I'm unsure about a complete PBL curriculum because I have never used it. Pros/cons? Thanks.

I always hated lecture and rarely attended lectures, so the transition was easy for me. If you are the kind of person that loves lectures, stays focused and gets a lot out of them, PBL might not be for you.

Pros:
Deeper understanding of material through reading academic texts (IMO, at least)
Making your own learning schedule
Deciding where and how you want to study
Having an investigative, problem solving mindset while studying
Learning how to explain things, ask questions of and even debate with your colleagues on the material
Early exposure to patient cases and working through histories, lab values, xrays, differential diagnosis, assessment and treatment plans
Learning all aspects of a particular problem at the same time - i.e. a chest pain case will lead you to study the anatomy of the chest, physio of the lungs and heart, patho of the lungs and heart, pharmacologic treatment of the possible disorders, etc - all at the same time so it's all connected
You can spend more time on your weaker areas, everything is customizable
You don't have to spend much time in the actual school building
Your learning doesn't depend on the quality of the lecturers

Cons:
You may at times vehemently disagree with the way your PBL group mates want to run the PBL session and this may be distressing
There is little safety net if you fall behind, everything is on you

As you can see, I'm pretty happy with PBL :) Maybe others could add more Cons to the list.

I always hated lecture and rarely attended lectures, so the transition was easy for me. If you are the kind of person that loves lectures, stays focused and gets a lot out of them, PBL might not be for you.

Pros:
Deeper understanding of material through reading academic texts (IMO, at least)
Making your own learning schedule
Deciding where and how you want to study
Having an investigative, problem solving mindset while studying
Learning how to explain things, ask questions of and even debate with your colleagues on the material
Early exposure to patient cases and working through histories, lab values, xrays, differential diagnosis, assessment and treatment plans
Learning all aspects of a particular problem at the same time - i.e. a chest pain case will lead you to study the anatomy of the chest, physio of the lungs and heart, patho of the lungs and heart, pharmacologic treatment of the possible disorders, etc - all at the same time so it's all connected
You can spend more time on your weaker areas, everything is customizable
You don't have to spend much time in the actual school building
Your learning doesn't depend on the quality of the lecturers

Cons:
You may at times vehemently disagree with the way your PBL group mates want to run the PBL session and this may be distressing
There is little safety net if you fall behind, everything is on you

As you can see, I'm pretty happy with PBL :) Maybe others could add more Cons to the list.

I agree with the above. The ones I'd add:

Pro:
-There are A LOT of audio and video resources available on the web for particular subjects, including lectures. If something isn't making sense, you can talk to your classmates, friends, and group mates; still don't understand, move on to asking faculty members; and you can probably dig up a lecture somewhere (even, sometimes, on youtube, or from another medical school) about the subject that's confusing you. In my case, neuroanatomy was something I needed a little more guidance for than just the textbook, but it was fairly easy to find other resources.
-The PBL model is largely how you will be learning in 3rd/4th year. Depending on where you are, it's up to you to read enough to learn the subject of your rotation and pass the shelf exam. You'll be used to that before you even start 3rd year.
-You will be ahead at the start of 3rd year relative to other students, because you've actually seen chest x-rays and lab tests and results every week since you started med school. By the end of 3rd year, most everyone will be at about the same level, but PBL may give you an advantage at the beginning.

Con:
-The adjustment to PBL is rough. You will likely go through a period at the beginning wondering if you're doing the right thing. The curriculum is structured so that your first anatomy exam and your first PBL exam are only 10% or so of your grade where later tests that 1st semester count more, so if you bomb the first exam because you're not doing the right things, you have time to adjust. After the first semester, and even more so during 2nd year, you know the drill and will be a lot more comfortable.
-Another potential con, rumor had it the dental students might be mixed into med student PBL, which a lot of us thought was ridiculous. Whether they go forward with that, though, I'm not sure. This year would be the first it would happen. Maybe it won't be a big deal--for anatomy it probably won't be--but I doubt the dental students would feel the same pressure to read through, for example, endocrine pathology, that medical students would, which might create some issues in the PBL groups.
-You will still have lectures in OMM, clinical exam, and various mini-courses in your first 2 years. They will seem even more painful, being your only lectures.

Just my opinions. It's been over a year since I last did PBL at Bradenton, so the new 2nd and 3rd years are probably better-informed on the details than I am. Good luck to all of you starting at the end of the month, and to those of you who had to go through more than one application year. I was in that group (I got in the 2nd year I applied to med schools) and I had a lot of classmates in the same position. Don't take it personally, but do stop and reassess whether this is really what you want to do before you start another round of applications. Good luck.

Thanks illegallysmooth and altruist for the information. I believe PBL may have been invented for me. I hate sitting in boring lectures. Besides, in medical school, you have to teach yourself everything anyway.

I got accepted to a few schools that did not have PBL style and some had mandatory lecture all day. I just couldn't see myself being stuck in lecture basically wasting hours listening to lectures that I wouldn't remember and then going home and studying allllll night. I'm excited for PBL to start! Only 2 more weeks for us in the class of 2016.

Hi,

I don't know if this was already addressed or not but van an someone please tell me the name of those rolling book carrier things that students here use and where I would be able to get one of those from. I'd aprrecoate any kind of help. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I don't know if this was already addressed or not but van an someone please tell me the name of those rolling book carrier things that students here use and where I would be able to get one of those from. I'd aprrecoate any kind of help. Thanks in advance!

People use all different ones. I used a small carry-on suitcase that I had lying around. Some people use rolling crates - just google "rolling crate," you'll see plenty of options.