LECOM Bradenton MMS Program 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kightin2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I didn't see a thread for the new application cycle this year so I though I would make one. I actually recently received my acceptance letter and still deciding whether to attend.

I was wondering if anyone is currently in the program or been through the program can share their experience with the program, how the campus/nearby area is, and the type of teaching style?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I didn't see a thread for the new application cycle this year so I though I would make one. I actually recently received my acceptance letter and still deciding whether to attend.

I was wondering if anyone is currently in the program or been through the program can share their experience with the program, how the campus/nearby area is, and the type of teaching style?

Awesome, thanks for starting one. I kept checking and not seeing one.

So, you got accepted? WOW! Congrats! What are your stats, if you dont mind me asking and since that is a thing on these forums. haha!

Also, when did you apply? When you complete the application and when did you get the acceptance?

Happy you started a forum!

Reactions: 2 users

Also, one guy just yesterday responded on another forum about this program in the old forum from 2018-2019 ... I will go and ask him to write it here since we will all be here now. Hopefully he can answer your questions. It seems as he did well and they just did interviews last and this week for the students that are above 3.0GPA in the program thus far. Let me go DM him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thanks for starting one. I kept checking and not seeing one.

So, you got accepted? WOW! Congrats! What are your stats, if you dont mind me asking and since that is a thing on these forums. haha!

Also, when did you apply? When you complete the application and when did you get the acceptance?

Happy you started a forum!

Hi there, sure
3.4 cGPA
3.3 sgpa
495 MCAT
I completed the application 1/9 and got an email update the following Monday that they made a decision. Then it took about 5 days to come in the mail.

Hi there, sure
3.4 cGPA
3.3 sgpa
495 MCAT
I completed the application 1/9 and got an email update the following Monday that they made a decision. Then it took about 5 days to come in the mail.
Did you have any LOR or shadowing/volunteer and/or research? I'm not sure if LECOM puts a great significance on having these.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, sure
3.4 cGPA
3.3 sgpa
495 MCAT

Thanks for replying!

I am so glad this forum was started! I was recently accepted as well and now am trying to decide between VCOM's Masters and LECOM-B Masters.... Very tough decision

Congrats on being accepted! I am a current MMS student and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions any of you may have. I'll start with the ones you asked here.

As far as the program goes, this is the third year (fourth for you) that the program has been available at LECOM B. It has been redone to be more challenging according to the program directors to better simulate the workload expected at the dental or medical school. It is a large workload but it is completely doable. You will get overwhelmed at some points with how quickly tests take place, for example, we had no exams for 3 weeks and then 7 within the next 3 weeks. If you approach the program like you have to prove you deserve to be here and fight hard, you will succeed. I am a big fan of the MMS program and LECOM B has been my top choice Medical school for a while so I am a fan boy but I am trying to not be too biased with my answers.

The area around the school is very nice. Lakewood Ranch is an up and coming area with a lot of money spilling over from Sarasota. The beaches are great and the coldest day we have had was about 42 with some consistent wind chill. Lots of rain but that's normal for FL. Apartments near campus are nicer from my experience when looking for a place to live but are more expensive. Bradenton is an older community but with the free time you have, you can find time to drive to Tampa, St. Pete, or Orlando to have a little fun.

In the MMS program, you take all of your classes at the Dental school next to the Medical school. Classes are lecture based with multiple professors teaching courses like physiology, anatomy, histology, pharmacology and a few others. Each professor is responsible for writing their own questions for the exams so you will have multiple styles of questions on exams. Starting in the Fall semester for us, we took a PBL course. LECOM B med and dental both use PBL to teach the basic sciences so they want to expose you to it earlier to make sure you like it and can succeed in that setting. The MMS PBL is more directed with assigned readings for chapters vs the student chosen chapters in the med school. They do this so the classes that you are taking a line with the case you are reviewing in PBL.

The real question all of us have asked about this program is "What does it take to be accepted after this program?". We just had our interviews this past week so we don't know who has been accepted but the MMS program guarantees an interview only. There is no minimum GPA to give you a guaranteed acceptance. Other classes have said that 3.4 for med and 3.2 for dental were the cutoffs but we have been told repeatedly that there is no cut off (except for the 3.0 min GPA required for the interview) and there is no guarantee.

Again, congrats for being accepted and feel free to ask me more questions either here or you can PM me.

Reactions: 4 users
Did you have any LOR or shadowing/volunteer and/or research? I'm not sure if LECOM puts a great significance on having these.

Since I applied, I got a letter from a DO, but I actually didn't have it on my application. Yeah, I did have some hospital volunteering and research experience I put on my application.

Also, one guy just yesterday responded on another forum about this program in the old forum from 2018-2019 ... I will go and ask him to write it here since we will all be here now. Hopefully he can answer your questions. It seems as he did well and they just did interviews last and this week for the students that are above 3.0GPA in the program thus far. Let me go DM him.
Hey guys! Congrats on your acceptance into the LECOM-B MMS program! I'm a current MMS student (dental track), so feel free to AMA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on being accepted! I am a current MMS student and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions any of you may have. I'll start with the ones you asked here.

As far as the program goes, this is the third year (fourth for you) that the program has been available at LECOM B. It has been redone to be more challenging according to the program directors to better simulate the workload expected at the dental or medical school. It is a large workload but it is completely doable. You will get overwhelmed at some points with how quickly tests take place, for example, we had no exams for 3 weeks and then 7 within the next 3 weeks. If you approach the program like you have to prove you deserve to be here and fight hard, you will succeed. I am a big fan of the MMS program and LECOM B has been my top choice Medical school for a while so I am a fan boy but I am trying to not be too biased with my answers.

The area around the school is very nice. Lakewood Ranch is an up and coming area with a lot of money spilling over from Sarasota. The beaches are great and the coldest day we have had was about 42 with some consistent wind chill. Lots of rain but that's normal for FL. Apartments near campus are nicer from my experience when looking for a place to live but are more expensive. Bradenton is an older community but with the free time you have, you can find time to drive to Tampa, St. Pete, or Orlando to have a little fun.

In the MMS program, you take all of your classes at the Dental school next to the Medical school. Classes are lecture based with multiple professors teaching courses like physiology, anatomy, histology, pharmacology and a few others. Each professor is responsible for writing their own questions for the exams so you will have multiple styles of questions on exams. Starting in the Fall semester for us, we took a PBL course. LECOM B med and dental both use PBL to teach the basic sciences so they want to expose you to it earlier to make sure you like it and can succeed in that setting. The MMS PBL is more directed with assigned readings for chapters vs the student chosen chapters in the med school. They do this so the classes that you are taking a line with the case you are reviewing in PBL.

The real question all of us have asked about this program is "What does it take to be accepted after this program?". We just had our interviews this past week so we don't know who has been accepted but the MMS program guarantees an interview only. There is no minimum GPA to give you a guaranteed acceptance. Other classes have said that 3.4 for med and 3.2 for dental were the cutoffs but we have been told repeatedly that there is no cut off (except for the 3.0 min GPA required for the interview) and there is no guarantee.

Again, congrats for being accepted and feel free to ask me more questions either here or you can PM me.

Currently sitting in Immuno trying to figure out who you might be! lol

Hey guys! Congrats on your acceptance into the LECOM-B MMS program! I'm a current MMS student (dental track), so feel free to AMA.

Why did you choose Lecom-B and not Erie, PA? Any specific reason behind that? I know Bradenton is newer and PA has more history with this linkage program. Any insight would be great. :) Thanks again!

Why did you choose Lecom-B and not Erie, PA? Any specific reason behind that? I know Bradenton is newer and PA has more history with this linkage program. Any insight would be great. :) Thanks again!
Honestly, I'm from Florida so it was an easy decision for me! I wanted to stay home lol
Also, I thought a Masters degree sounded better than a post bacc certificate (although they're switching it to a masters degree up there).

LECOM B has higher first-time pass rates on COMLEX 1 and fairly competitive residency placements. Doctors that I have worked with and shadowed have also graduated from LECOM B and wrote me alumni letters which played a big role in me getting into the program here. I also hate the cold.

But why would you choose Bradenton when Erie has guaranteed admission? I'm sure Florida would be nice, but I would go anywhere for guaranteed admission.
While this is true, the post bac in Erie uses a testing schedule that puts all subjects that you are taking on one exam. That means there are questions from pharm, physio, and biochem all together. I prefer a more traditional test with one subject covered on each exam. It allows me to study the way I like with one subject at a time. Overall I just felt like I could do better in the MMS program but it is very subjective. The Dental students I think benefit more from the MMS program because they are given a GPA cut off (I think) @molar_express can confirm that.

But why would you choose Bradenton when Erie has guaranteed admission? I'm sure Florida would be nice, but I would go anywhere for guaranteed admission.
When I was applying, Erie had the post bacc program it definitely did NOT have guaranteed admission because there are people in my class now who did the post bacc.

Edit: After seeing the comment above, maybe they did have guaranteed admission but maybe those in my class didn't meet the requirements?

While this is true, the post bac in Erie uses a testing schedule that puts all subjects that you are taking on one exam. That means there are questions from pharm, physio, and biochem all together. I prefer a more traditional test with one subject covered on each exam. It allows me to study the way I like with one subject at a time. Overall I just felt like I could do better in the MMS program but it is very subjective. The Dental students I think benefit more from the MMS program because they are given a GPA cut off (I think) @molar_express can confirm that.
I mean, the GPA cutoff is definitely nice because you have a hard cutoff to work towards. I think the courses are definitely more geared towards med though.

When I was applying, Erie had the post bacc program it definitely did NOT have guaranteed admission because there are people in my class now who did the post bacc.

Edit: After seeing the comment above, maybe they did have guaranteed admission but maybe those in my class didn't meet the requirements?
Pulled this from the LECOM website:
"Those students who pass all Fall term Post Baccalaureate classes will be guaranteed an interview at LECOM’s College of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, or School of Dental Medicine. Those students who pass all courses in the program, finish with a 3.2 cumulative GPA, complete a successful interview and achieve the required minimum on standardized exams will be eligible to matriculate to LECOM’s College of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, or School of Dental Medicine."
This is similar to our condition, we have to have a 3.0 GPA to interview. We just do not know what the cut off is to matriculate into the medical school I believe the dental students were told that it was a 3.2 to matriculate.
Med was given the average GPA of a matriculant and that was 3.4, with 34 people that were eligible for the interview and 31 actually matriculating. But after interviewing last week, we are assuming that each person that is eligible to matriculate is given a personal condition. Like someone who interviews with a 4.0 might be given a lesser required GPA from the spring semester to maintain eligibility than someone who interviewed with a 3.3.

I do agree that the classes are very Med heavy and not so much geared toward dental.

Any current MMS students at Bradenton here to answer some questions? :)

What's up?

Awesome, thanks! Did you partake in the interviews? If so, how was it? What do they ask, who does the interview for MMS, wjat was the feel like etc? Any input? Do they give everyone a chance to talk, since it is in a group context?

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks! Did you partake in the interviews? If so, how was it? What do they ask, who does the interview for MMS, wjat was the feel like etc? Any input? Do they give everyone a chance to talk, since it is in a group context?

Thanks!
They were pretty chill. They start with an introduction to the group and a presentation of the schedule then they break you off into groups which are similar to the PBL sessions that you will be doing starting in the fall. They want to make sure that you can work well with others and not get offended if someone disagrees with you. You only interview with other MMSers so you will probably know the people you are in the room with so make some friends with everyone while you're here. Then you go into another room where you are pulled out one by one for an MMI interview. Then it's a chill day of a tour, some lunch, the usual presentations on financial aid and the school's mission. There will be faculty and previous MMSers that will offer to give you some mock interview opportunities and pointers when it gets close to that time.

The thing that you should focus on though is to have as high of a GPA as you can by the end of December. We just got our decisions this week and while you will be interviewed if you have a 3.0, it is not certain that you will get in. We are assuming that if you had above a 3.3 at the time of interview you were offered the conditional acceptance to the medical school but this is just speculation on our end. Those that were accepted were given the condition to maintain a 3.3 or higher with 75% or higher in all of our classes. It is a lot easier to go into your interview with a 3.5-3.8 and not be a total weirdo and get your conditional acceptance than it is to be at a 3.3 and have to sell them that you can tread water long enough to matriculate.

Thanks!
Also, for dental, there is no one on one interview. Just the group. And there is only 6 or 7 people in your group so as long as everyone is being polite/considerate, everyone should have ample opportunity to speak during the interview. But honestly, the GPA is by far the greatest determining factor on whether or not you receive a conditional acceptance. The interviews are very relaxed.

In case anyone is stalking this thread next year, the MMS Dental students interviewed on January 17th and had decisions on Feb 6th.
The med students interviewed January 15th &18th and also had decisions on Feb 6th. Dental students were notified by email and were able to pick up their official letter/packet at school and the med students found out through a letter.

@Molar Express @TarpolianDynamite Question: Does the Bradenton campus give students a gym facility for free like the one in Erie? I didn't find one online. Where do students go to work out etc? Being on a budget I would hate to pay extra. Any suggestion would be awesome. Thanks! :)

@Molar Express @TarpolianDynamite Question: Does the Bradenton campus give students a gym facility for free like the one in Erie? I didn't find one online. Where do students go to work out etc? Being on a budget I would hate to pay extra. Any suggestion would be awesome. Thanks! :)
No. I will say that one of the downsides to the Bradenton campus is that there are not a lot of student facilities (or if there are they aren't made known to the MMS students). A lot of people will work out at the LA fitness next to campus or at the one offered at their apartment complex. Most apartments complexes in the area have a nice clubhouse with a pool and fitness center with enough equipment to keep you in shape. Edit: Student discount for the YMCA next door to the school too. Forgot about that originally.

No. I will say that one of the downsides to the Bradenton campus is that there are not a lot of student facilities (or if there are they aren't made known to the MMS students). A lot of people will work out at the LA fitness next to campus or at the one offered at their apartment complex. Most apartments complexes in the area have a nice clubhouse with a pool and fitness center with enough equipment to keep you in shape. Edit: Student discount for the YMCA next door to the school too. Forgot about that originally.

Thanks!!

Another question:

Traffic: where is traffic the worse?

Meaning Road 64, 70 and 75? I’m thinking about getting a place off 64 - close to Lory of Bradenton River and the super wal mart. Is it really 10-13 minutes to school in the morning and evening? Any insight?

@Molar Express @TarpolianDynamite and any other student at LECOM right now. Thanks.

Thanks!!

Another question:

Traffic: where is traffic the worse?

Meaning Road 64, 70 and 75? I’m thinking about getting a place off 64 - close to Lory of Bradenton River and the super wal mart. Is it really 10-13 minutes to school in the morning and evening? Any insight?

@Molar Express @TarpolianDynamite and any other student at LECOM right now. Thanks.
I live off of 70 right now behind the Walmart at ranch lake apts and I leave 30 mins before class starts and usually will get there in about 10-12 mins which lets me grab a coffee or something to drink in the caf before classes start. I'd say anywhere where you don't have to drive on I75 during morning and evening rush hour and you will be fine. Its the people who live in st pete or Tampa that struggle with the traffic and fender benders. There is lots of road work on the highway at this exit (217) but I am from Florida so I am used to the crazy drivers and constant road work so others might say its miserable. FYI: lots of road rage and old people so don't take it personally when you get honked at even though you did nothing wrong just hide your LECOM mirror decal when you want to dish it back lol.

I was trying to send my MCAT score electronically but they do not show up on the list. Do I have to print the report and send it to admission myself?

I was trying to send my MCAT score electronically but they do not show up on the list. Do I have to print the report and send it to admission myself?

That’s what I did. But I send in my DAT score. I imagine it is the same for the MCAT. Ask Kandyse Taylor - she will tell you for sure.

But yes, I just had is scanned - so I emailed to her as an attachemrnt. You can also mail it to them as well. I did both!

Hope that helps.

That’s what I did. But I send in my DAT score. I imagine it is the same for the MCAT. Ask Kandyse Taylor - she will tell you for sure.

But yes, I just had is scanned - so I emailed to her as an attachemrnt. You can also mail it to them as well. I did both!

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I had one last question, did you guys include a rough estimate of hours per activity in your resume? like 5000 scribing....250 tutoring etc etc. I just have dates set up for now.

Thank you! I had one last question, did you guys include a rough estimate of hours per activity in your resume? like 5000 scribing....250 tutoring etc etc. I just have dates set up for now.

You can if you want. I only did that for my shadowing positions. The volunteering and other activities, I didn’t do that. But I don’t see a harm in doing so.

Just got my acceptance today! I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!! :)
Just want to say, by continuing to stay dedicated and working hard to pursue a career in medicine, its possible to achieve your goals.

Just want to say, by continuing to stay dedicated and working hard to pursue a career in medicine, its possible to achieve your goals.

Congrats! I’ll see you there. :highfive:

How long did you have to wait to receive your letter of acceptance?

Did you guys have two letters of recommendation? I have one email saying you only need one science recommendation, and another email saying you need two. Unfortunately, I only have one science recommendation, and a rec from a doctor I scribed for, so hoping this will be ok.

Hey guys!

I have been accepted as well to the MMS program at LECOM-B for this July! So excited to start!

Yay!!!! Can't wait to meet you :)

I live off of 70 right now behind the Walmart at ranch lake apts and I leave 30 mins before class starts and usually will get there in about 10-12 mins which lets me grab a coffee or something to drink in the caf before classes start. I'd say anywhere where you don't have to drive on I75 during morning and evening rush hour and you will be fine. Its the people who live in st pete or Tampa that struggle with the traffic and fender benders. There is lots of road work on the highway at this exit (217) but I am from Florida so I am used to the crazy drivers and constant road work so others might say its miserable. FYI: lots of road rage and old people so don't take it personally when you get honked at even though you did nothing wrong just hide your LECOM mirror decal when you want to dish it back lol.
I want to do a one bedroom apartment, do you recommend any complexes in particular? They all seem to be super expensive :/

Did you guys have two letters of recommendation? I have one email saying you only need one science recommendation, and another email saying you need two. Unfortunately, I only have one science recommendation, and a rec from a doctor I scribed for, so hoping this will be ok.
That should be okay, but if I were you I would email Kandyce Taylor and ask!

I want to do a one bedroom apartment, do you recommend any complexes in particular? They all seem to be super expensive :/

One bedrooms near campus are very expensive. They are more manageable toward downtown Bradenton but they get a little dicey. I can only afford a one bedroom because of my SO supporting through utility bills and food cost and even then the rent is still tight. Would def recommend a roommate to split rent with.

One bedrooms near campus are very expensive. They are more manageable toward downtown Bradenton but they get a little dicey. I can only afford a one bedroom because of my SO supporting through utility bills and food cost and even then the rent is still tight. Would def recommend a roommate to split rent with.

I plan to take out an additional loan for housing :/ Are there any certain places downtown you would recommend or near campus?

Do you know when is considered late to apply to this program? I have been accepted to the Erie one, but am much more interested in Bradenton. I emailed Kandyse about letter of recommendations, I have everything sent in except I have to work on getting a second science recommendation (erie only requires one)

Do you know when is considered late to apply to this program? I have been accepted to the Erie one, but am much more interested in Bradenton. I emailed Kandyse about letter of recommendations, I have everything sent in except I have to work on getting a second science recommendation (erie only requires one)

The app opened quite a while ago, so I would try to get everything submitted ASAP. I would say you aren't super late in the cycle, but not super early either so just get that letter ASAP! :)

The app opened quite a while ago, so I would try to get everything submitted ASAP. I would say you aren't super late in the cycle, but not super early either so just get that letter ASAP! :)
Hi there! Congrats on your acceptance:) I was just wondering if you might be willing to share your stats!

Status
Not open for further replies.