LECOM D2 AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanelz

RDA-->DMD
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's face it. LECOM is probably one of the most controversial dental schools out there and for good reason. It's a schools that had its ups and downs and fair share of rumors. So lets try to put some of them to rest since many of you are about to apply in a few weeks here. AMA

Post I made about the clinical aspect of LECOM: LECOM Bradenton
Post I made about PBL: *** The Official LECOM Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

I am a current student going into my second year.
I think ive answered most lecom related questions but if anyones got anything AMA

Other AMA's by LECOM students:
LECOM D3 AMA
LECOM D1 student AMA
LECOM D1 almost finished. AMA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Best and worst things about living in Florida?
Best and worst things about LECOM?
What is your total COA looking like for 4 years?

What if someone in the group doesn't pull their weight. If I remember correctly, everyone is responsible for certain sections of the textbook.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best and worst things about living in Florida?
Best and worst things about LECOM?
What is your total COA looking like for 4 years?

Florida:
Pro's: weather is nice, people are nice, beaches are close, Bradenton is fairly quiet and a great environment for school imo
Cons: It rains like every day in the summer which can get annoying. Theres so many insects and wild life. I dont mind the wildlife except that you might hit something, the insects suck. Neither are a major concern though.

LECOM:
Pro's: Clinical experience-students are started from spring semester of d1 year and onwards to interact and work on patients, pretty laid back schedule/self paced, the didactics are actually useful for the most part, the staff for the most part are all really great and helpful. If you are just trying to get through dental school and become a general dentist it is really not hard to pass. Very few people struggle majorly.
Con's: Food and water policy, attendance policy for certain classes that are a waste of time, lack of real breaks, PBL can be a drag sometimes. The way research is conducted could be a bit more streamlined. Having to relocate 4th year sucks but it does give you access to a larger patient pool.

COA:
LECOM estimate: ~375k
Personal: ~300k

Last edited:
What if someone in the group doesn't pull their weight. If I remember correctly, everyone is responsible for certain sections of the textbook.

In every group there are going to be people that pull their weight and people that don't. However for the most part everyone (considering they were able to get into dental school) are smart enough and helps enough to get by. Even if you have members that don't pull their weight it's fairly easy to get through a PBL session. You really only need like 4-5 actively engaged people and you don't necessarily have to assign certain textbooks to certain people but sometimes it makes it easier. For example, someone may be assigned to the physiology book but anyone in the group is welcome to look at any book at any time if they cant find anything in their own assigned book.

You will be at most using maybe 5-6 textbooks each session. Participation grades are given individually not based on group as a whole. PBL as a whole seems intimidating but it is really not bad at all.

How are the exam questions written? Are they application-based or more of regurgitation from ppts?

@155561 There are no powerpoints in PBL there are cases in which you are given a patients and you basically go through the treatment course, learning various concepts throughout the way.

The tests are 150 questions, about 15% id say directly from concepts learned in the PBL sessions. The rest are from textbook chapters that you choose. Each test is taken after about 8ish cases are finished. After each case is submitted you select a few chapters to submit to the test maker, by the end of the block (8ish cases) you should have selected about 30 chapters to the test maker.

PBL is done in blocks so far example our first block was cardio so we picked chapters like:
Cardio physiology
BP medication pharmacology
Cardio anatomy
etc

Some chapters will relate directly to the block and some wont. By the end of the block you have usually chosen all of the related chapters to the block and are left to choose whatever chapters you want. You are technically allowed to choose ANY chapters from any of the assigned textbooks but it makes it easier if you are choosing relevant chapters.

You read the chapters and the test can be ANYTHING from within those chapters however they know its impossible for you to memorize the entire chapter considering there are 30 so the questions are usually pretty broad or main concepts and are not usually horribly difficult. You always walk out of a PBL exam not knowing how you did but almost no one fails because the exams are curved and not extremely difficult to begin with.

I think I personally know 2 people in my class of 103 that have failed PBL.

How has your experience being a dental assistant help you in dental school so far?

How has your experience being a dental assistant help you in dental school so far?

Has it helped? Yes and no.

Clinically it has not helped except for when we are doing basic assistant duties. For example, when we started our dentures class I already knew how to take impressions and do pour ups easily but that literally helped me for one day out of the whole semester. Also I was exempt from the small xray class that everyone else had to take cuz I already knew how to take them pretty well having done it so long day in day out. Lastly, when we are helping in the D3 clinic, I am usually asked for by name because they know I can assist them well and "actually hold a suction correctly" which is easier said than done because assistants know that a suction is much more than a tube for sucking liquid...but I digress.

Other than that it has not helped much clinically in hand skills. I do not have a leg up on projects or prepping teeth or any of that because no assistant duties translate over. What I wish I would have done though is practiced indirect vision when I was coronal polishing as an assistant, it would have made things a lot easier initially.

Where it has helped immensely though is conceptually. What I mean is that when we are learning things in lecture and doing things in the lab, I know what the actual procedure looks like in real life. I know the challenges and tricks of doing the procedures on real teeth and so I am able to conceptualize it much better than most people in my class and get good at things faster. For example, When we started operative (drill and fill class) I wasnt any better than anyone else on day one but I knew exactly what my preps needed to look like and I knew the steps of the procedures so I was able to progress a lot faster in my opinion than everyone else around me. I know why each step is important and how each step can go wrong so when other people are making mistakes, I am usually able to fix things before it goes terribly wrong.

Also, I am MUCH more comfortable around patients because Ive has to interact with both incredibly sweet patients and incredibly rude/mean patients prior to dental school so speaking and working on patients was not intimidating at all for me whereas almost everyone else was scared out of their minds.

Overall, I am glad for the experience because it will help me run my practice better knowing the ins and outs of the business side of things and seeing the way my old bosses interacted with staff and patients and seeing how front office/insurance world. If you have ever worked in an office you know that the actual dentistry is the easiest part of the whole thing. Running a practice is 1000x harder than filling a tooth so I am glad I got to see the struggles of my previous bosses and see how they handled them. They dont teach you in dental school how to talk prices to a stubborn patient, or how to deal with emergencies in the middle of a procedure, learn tricks to make a procedure faster and more efficient, or how to work out conflict among staff, or even how to diffuse an frustrated assistant...all which are things that are really hard to do compared to clinical dentistry. A tooth doesnt have emotions, patients and staff do.

As far as clinical skills it has only helped a little bit and I am glad I have the experience but I would not say it helped me a ton.

What are the stats for the students in the MMS program this year in Bradenton. Are there any rumors going around ? How did the students do with all of the new classes that we added to the curriculum this year. How many people did they start with and how many people are still there? How many people got into the dental program? Sorry this is about the MMS program, and you are in the dental school, but you seem to know what you are talking about.

What are the stats for the students in the MMS program this year in Bradenton. Are there any rumors going around ? How did the students do with all of the new classes that we added to the curriculum this year. How many people did they start with and how many people are still there? How many people got into the dental program? Sorry this is about the MMS program, and you are in the dental school, but you seem to know what you are talking about.

Tbh I have no idea about mms. The mms students are in the dental building but we rarely interact. The few that I know personally were able to get into dental and medical schools and I know a few of that didn't but overall I don't know enough of them to make an accurate judgment. They did always complain that it was was harder than in previous years though and they were always studying

Last edited:

Are you a previous MMS when you say “we added” to the curriculum? I just graduated from the MMS 19 program and will be matriculating into dental school next month.
We started with ~90 and there were 66 present on graduation day (a few graduated but didn’t walk so I’d say closer to 72-73). We started with Monroe dental but by the time interviews came around 22 people interviewed. I know 20 got into LECOM dental — but I believe 1(if not more) is going elsewhere. Of the 2 who didn’t get in, 1 is going to a dental school in her home state and I am unsure what the other is up to.
I highly recommend the LECOM MMS and while as much studying and time it took to complete successfully, I feel extremely prepared for the next 4 years.

Are you a previous MMS when you say “we added” to the curriculum? I just graduated from the MMS 19 program and will be matriculating into dental school next month.
We started with ~90 and there were 66 present on graduation day (a few graduated but didn’t walk so I’d say closer to 72-73). We started with Monroe dental but by the time interviews came around 22 people interviewed. I know 20 got into LECOM dental — but I believe 1(if not more) is going elsewhere. Of the 2 who didn’t get in, 1 is going to a dental school in her home state and I am unsure what the other is up to.
I highly recommend the LECOM MMS and while as much studying and time it took to complete successfully, I feel extremely prepared for the next 4 years.
Is it true students from another's masters programs are not getting interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's face it. LECOM is probably one of the most controversial dental schools out there and for good reason. It's a schools that had its ups and downs and fair share of rumors. So lets try to put some of them to rest since many of you are about to apply in a few weeks here. AMA

Post I made about the clinical aspect of LECOM: LECOM Bradenton
Post I made about PBL: *** The Official LECOM Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

I am a current student going into my second year.
I think ive answered most lecom related questions but if anyones got anything AMA

Other AMA's by LECOM students:
LECOM D3 AMA
LECOM D1 student AMA
LECOM D1 almost finished. AMA
Do dental students share classes with medical, etc students?

Do dental students share classes with medical, etc students?

No medical and pharm are in a separate building and no classes are together. We do however do the same PBL cases just in different buildings.

Masters students are in the dental building but we have no classes with them and dont really interact a ton with them.

Reactions: 1 users
What other schools were you considering before accepting LECOM?

Last edited:
What other schools were you considering before accepting LECOM?

Well ill be honest I am originally from Texas and to me the most important thing was cost. After you graduate from school and start making payments youre going to wish you picked the cheapest school if you didnt. Compounded interest (as I am always preaching to my classmates) will literally kill your finances if you are borrowing unnecessarily.

With that said I definitely wanted to stay in Texas but the cards didnt play out that way. I interviewed at Houston but got waitlisted. I also interviewed at Nova and was given an interview at Kentucky but didnt go because it was more expensive than LECOM (which I had already gotten into at that point)

To make a long story short my main concern was 1. cost 2. clinical experience

The reason why I put clinical experience second is because no matter what dental school you go to, there are not massive differences in clinical experience even though everyone claims there is. When you graduate from dental school you are just going to have a general idea of what you are doing regardless of where you graduate from so cost is far more important imo.

In hindsight I am glad I chose LECOM because even though it is not going to give me waaaaayyyyy more clinical experience than other schools, I see now that compared to other schools not only is it far cheaper to attend, our clinical experience is in fact superior because of how early we are placed in the clinic.

As D1's we are already assisting and doing hygiene, as D2s we are already doing minor operative procedures and simple extractions. Name a single other schools that allows for that. Now the reason I say it is not a massive difference between other schools is that you are not going to get a TON of hygiene and operative/surgery experience in your first two years but you do get some vs other schools where you get none so it does give you more comfort as you transition into your third year. The clinical experience in your first three years is not superior because of shear volume but in how early you are exposed to it.

Also in D4 year you leave to either Defuniak Florida or Erie PA and dont share patients with the entire D3 and D4 class like other schools, you only share them with half of your D4 class so from what I hear, you never have a shortage of patients.

Sorry for the long answer but thats why I feel that LECOM is superior.

Is everything great about the school? Absolutely not, like every school there are things I hate about it but the pros outweigh the cons. I'm not gonna lie if I had gotten into a cheaper school i.e TX, I would have definitely opted for that option but LECOM imo is a close second.

Reactions: 4 users
Do LECOM students and professors compare LECOM’s program with NOVA or UF? If so, what are their thoughts?

Well ill be honest I am originally from Texas and to me the most important thing was cost. After you graduate from school and start making payments youre going to wish you picked the cheapest school if you didnt. Compounded interest (as I am always preaching to my classmates) will literally kill your finances if you are borrowing unnecessarily.

With that said I definitely wanted to stay in Texas but the cards didnt play out that way. I interviewed at Houston but got waitlisted. I also interviewed at Nova and was given an interview at Kentucky but didnt go because it was more expensive than LECOM (which I had already gotten into at that point)

To make a long story short my main concern was 1. cost 2. clinical experience

The reason why I put clinical experience second is because no matter what dental school you go to, there are not massive differences in clinical experience even though everyone claims there is. When you graduate from dental school you are just going to have a general idea of what you are doing regardless of where you graduate from so cost is far more important imo.

In hindsight I am glad I chose LECOM because even though it is not going to give me waaaaayyyyy more clinical experience than other schools, I see now that compared to other schools not only is it far cheaper to attend, our clinical experience is in fact superior because of how early we are placed in the clinic.

As D1's we are already assisting and doing hygiene, as D2s we are already doing minor operative procedures and simple extractions. Name a single other schools that allows for that. Now the reason I say it is not a massive difference between other schools is that you are not going to get a TON of hygiene and operative/surgery experience in your first two years but you do get some vs other schools where you get none so it does give you more comfort as you transition into your third year. The clinical experience in your first three years is not superior because of shear volume but in how early you are exposed to it.

Also in D4 year you leave to either Defuniak Florida or Erie PA and dont share patients with the entire D3 and D4 class like other schools, you only share them with half of your D4 class so from what I hear, you never have a shortage of patients.

Sorry for the long answer but thats why I feel that LECOM is superior.

Is everything great about the school? Absolutely not, like every school there are things I hate about it but the pros outweigh the cons. I'm not gonna lie if I had gotten into a cheaper school i.e TX, I would have definitely opted for that option but LECOM imo is a close second.

Not to split hairs but I took a look at the cost of attendance. LECOM COA is a little more expensive than UK by $5k but cheaper than NOVA by $10k.

Glad you don’t have to share patients. I didn’t know that was a thing. I thought most schools assigned patients to you and you carried them until graduation which then are assigned back and the cycle repeats.

As D1's we are already assisting and doing hygiene, as D2s we are already doing minor operative procedures and simple extractions. Name a single other schools that allows for that.

Other schools do that too. Hands on clinical experience and exposure early on is the only real way to learn.

I feel that LECOM is superior.

Okay.

Not to split hairs but I took a look at the cost of attendance. LECOM COA is a little more expensive than UK by $5k but cheaper than NOVA by $10k.

Glad you don’t have to share patients. I didn’t know that was a thing. I thought most schools assigned patients to you and you carried them until graduation which then are assigned back and the cycle repeats.

Other schools do that too. Hands on clinical experience and exposure early on is the only real way to learn.

Okay.

1. COA on paper and COA irl is very different. Cost of living in Miami is outrageous compared to Bradenton. Its also much less than Kentucky from what I researched at the time. I am not spending even half the estimated housing cost that LECOM is approved for. Also last time I checked NOVA was around 450 wheras LECOM was around 380 overall not sure what your source is. Personally ill be done at just under 300k considering how cheap it is to live in Bradenton. Also airfare from bradenton/tampa vs kentucky or miami is vastly different

There is actually a post made here: The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dental Schools Thread
about the most expensive dental schools and that number for NOVA is pretty accurate to what they told us on interview day. Whereas LECOM is 380 like mentioned above but drastically lower if you live within your means.

2. I see you are a D3, what procedures did you do in your first a second year without the assistance of an upperclassman? I am asking for my own knowledge.

3. I am not sure if you are facetious or demeaning with that remark but to each his own i guess

Also last time I checked NOVA was around 450 wheras LECOM was around 380 overall not sure what your source is. Personally ill be done at just under 300k considering how cheap it is to live in Bradenton.
Are you including living expenses or interest in this value? Tuition and fees run about 70k/year. How is your total COA so low? Teach me your ways!

Are you including living expenses or interest in this value? Tuition and fees run about 70k/year. How is your total COA so low? Teach me your ways!

I was a dental assistant prior to dental school so I had a good bit saved, my rent is about 1/3 of everyone elses because I got the deal of the century, and I make a budget every month so I dont spend unnecessarily, and my parents have been nice enough to send me a couple hundred bucks a month for groceries. When you dont have a budget its easy to think you need to borrow and spend everything.

There are people in my class with a wife and two kids that borrow the full amount and there are single people with no family or major responsibilites that also borrow the full amount...I cant say for sure if they really need that much...maybe they do? If you have it, its easy to find ways to spend it.

The total I am expecting to borrow is around 285-290 so after compounded interest over four years I am thinking around 310-315

Honestly if you live reasonably its easy to wipe off at least 30k off the expected imo

Were you accepted to other schools or was LECOM the only one?

Only LECOM, I was waitlisted at Houston and NOVA, and declined my interview at UK. If I had gotten into all of them my choice of order would have been Houston, LECOM, UK, NOVA

Only LECOM, I was waitlisted at Houston and NOVA, and declined my interview at UK. If I had gotten into all of them my choice of order would have been Houston, LECOM, UK, NOVA

I know it’s pretty difficult to get into Houston, UK, and NOVA. LECOM has its ups and downs but it’s definitely a good backup school to apply. I had friends that did the same just in case they didn’t get anything else. End of the day, doesn’t matter if you’re first or last, you’ll still be called doctor. Good job finishing your first year!

I know dental school curriculum is rigorous and most people choose not to have a job in order to focus on school, but does LECOM offer work/study jobs for students on campus i.e. desk jobs or working in the library? If so, is there a good amount of students that do this?

I know dental school curriculum is rigorous and most people choose not to have a job in order to focus on school, but does LECOM offer work/study jobs for students on campus i.e. desk jobs or working in the library? If so, is there a good amount of students that do this?

Its funny you ask because I actually work as a librarian in the library.

I would not recommend getting a job while in dental school but there are a few ways you can work on campus starting D2 year.

1. Evening librarian of which you apply at the end of D1 year when the D3's are leaving for fourth year. Theres usually 2 spots available every year and as long as you are first and not a total wierdo you'll get it but you have to be fast.

2. Tutor. If you did well in a particular class you can be a tutor for a didactic course or lab course or you can be a "fire tutor" that watches people work in the evening sometimes to make sure no one sets themself on fire.

The librarian job is limited to 40 hours a month. The tutor hours vary drastically based on availability and need.

Regarding how D1's assist D3's, what is that time commitment like?

And are there at least plenty of water fountains to drink from?

Regarding how D1's assist D3's, what is that time commitment like?

And are there at least plenty of water fountains to drink from?

There are a few water fountains yea and honestly tons of people walk around with water bottles too

D1s assist d3s once a week for 3 hours spring d1

May I ask why you declined your interview at UK? I am applying to all Florida schools and UK

May I ask why you declined your interview at UK? I am applying to all Florida schools and UK
cost of living and overall Cost of attendance. Im now a D4 and happy I made the choice to go to the cheapest option I had

Reactions: 2 users