LECOM: dental students + med students = same class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradDad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When speaking with a recruiter from LECOM last Spring, he explained that in the first few years of the new dental school, the dental students would be taking classes together with the Med students (for the 1st two years).

That would be an interesting dynamic.

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros or cons of this unique set-up?

Members don't see this ad.

When speaking with a recruiter from LECOM last Spring, he explained that in the first few years of the new dental school, the dental students would be taking classes together with the Med students (for the 1st two years).

That would be an interesting dynamic.

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros or cons of this unique set-up?

So it'll be just like my undergrad bio and chm classes. Awesome.

So it'll be just like my undergrad bio and chm classes. Awesome.

Except with alot smarter people and fewer idiots failing out.

If you go to any dental school, it's pretty much your entire class shoved into a lecture hall studying biochem/histology/whatever. It's not like it's going to be a huge difference with more people in the room.

But still, if I had a choice I would go to a school that had the biochem/anatomy/etc classes tailored to dental students only and not jack of all trades education. Doctors and dentists aren't the same and even though it's the same subject matter, I don't think you should just throw everyone together.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Except with alot smarter people and fewer idiots failing out.

If you go to any dental school, it's pretty much your entire class shoved into a lecture hall studying biochem/histology/whatever. It's not like it's going to be a huge difference with more people in the room.

But still, if I had a choice I would go to a school that had the biochem/anatomy/etc classes tailored to dental students only and not jack of all trades education. Doctors and dentists aren't the same and even though it's the same subject matter, I don't think you should just throw everyone together.

I wasn't being completely serious. But in general, I just don't like the idea of larger class sizes or being with other health students for two years in lecture. I know many school have some sort of interprofessional component to their curriculum so this isn't anything groundbreaking or unique. I'll learn to be a dentist anywhere I go and I'll deal with whatever curriculum is there, but this kind of setup isn't my first preference.

I wasn't being completely serious. But in general, I just don't like the idea of larger class sizes or being with other health students for two years in lecture. I know many school have some sort of interprofessional component to their curriculum so this isn't anything groundbreaking or unique. I'll learn to be a dentist anywhere I go and I'll deal with whatever curriculum is there, but this kind of setup isn't my first preference.

Yup, it's not really unique or new. I know NOVA does something similar too. My boyfriend, who is in their optometry program, takes a certain amount of classes with the dental and medical students. However, I don't think it'll really effect us that much :)

I actually kinda like it. Gives us an opportunity to get out of our little dental "bubble."

if you are single, you can mingle.

Doc Toothache says it best, but SDN is full of rumors and myths. The following may be one of those rumors and myths but... I heard from an unverified source that Harvard also has dental and medical students take classes together.

From what I have heard, from unverified sources, dental and medical students taking classes together is not uncommon.

That's not a myth about Harvard...the med and dental students do have classes together.

Same thing with Nova.... first year classes are taken with dental and medical (and I think pharmacy students as well). Its mostly biochem, physiology, and I think anatomy.

But they are not in the same rank/curve. Like the dental would have their own rank/curve etc

Same thing with Nova.... first year classes are taken with dental and medical (and I think pharmacy students as well). Its mostly biochem, physiology, and I think anatomy.

But they are not in the same rank/curve. Like the dental would have their own rank/curve etc

That's funny...I wonder who they have to curve more for? It seems like dental is harder to get into than DO school, so wouldn't be surprised if it was the "med" students that needed the extra help...

That's funny...I wonder who they have to curve more for? It seems like dental is harder to get into than DO school, so wouldn't be surprised if it was the "med" students that needed the extra help...

oh gawd... plz don't start this

sorry, guess i'm still pretty new to this and didn't know that was a faux pas topic. Really didn't mean to start anything...
my dad is a d.o. Are you saying he couldnt be a dentite??? ;)