LECOM Erie Class of 2012 Thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiowbdoc

Med School Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received my acceptance letter last week to LECOM-E, loved this school. Still deciding btwn here and WVSOM, but leaning towards LECOM for sure. Anyone else headed to Erie next fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Deciding between Lake erie and Azcom and I am leaning towards erieToo

I am completely excited to be attending LECOM next year. I have already sent in my deposit and am looking for housing arrangements. Everything is very affordable. What pathways have you all chosen? I will be following the PBL pathway. DO forever!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted into the PBL pathway. Still looking into it trying to learn a little more, but now that I'm in I can at least have the choice, and even opt out after the first 12 weeks. I think it's going to turn out just fine though. I don't know if I could handle a full day of lectures everyday for the next two years.

I'm not 100% sure I will chose Erie at this point, but most likely I will be going here. I liked it a lot. I was accepted to the LDP.

I am sending my check as soon as I get paid on the 30th...! $1500 deposit stinks!! :) I can't wait to start medical school! Any one know when orientation usually starts? What about classes? I checked online and all I could find was "end of July." I'm from Oklahoma so I have a lot to figure out before then! I'm LDP.

I'm going to give them a call this week to see if they have the orientation schedule set for next year, because I'm trying to figure out some scheduling/travel issues as well. This past year their orientation was Sat July28-FriAug 3, with M1's first day of classes MonJuly 30. I'll call Monday and post here what I find out. Sending in my deposit this week for sure though :)

I'm going to give them a call this week to see if they have the orientation schedule set for next year, because I'm trying to figure out some scheduling/travel issues as well. This past year their orientation was Sat July28-FriAug 3, with M1's first day of classes MonJuly 30. I'll call Monday and post here what I find out. Sending in my deposit this week for sure though :)

Wow class starts early! YAY!! Thanks and congrats!! Let us know what you find out. :laugh:

Wow class starts early! YAY!! Thanks and congrats!! Let us know what you find out. :laugh:

Things might change for you guys, but this year we started on July 28 with kind of a general orientation, then had a week of basic orientation stuff that is really boring but has to be done. Some anatomy lectures were squeezed in the middle of it. Initially I made the mistake of thinking I could take it easy during the orientation. Don't do that. They don't "introduce" stuff. When they start talking anatomy, start studying. The first week basically gives you barely enough time to get up to full speed. By the first week of real class you better be able to hit the ground running.

For those who are already attending are you happy with your choice, rotations, res matches etc........its decision time for a lot of us...............

Just got accepted to LECOM, but have yet to hear from any other schools. Is any one else in the same situation? Also how do any of you rank lecom against nycom or pcom? Thanks!:)

Just got in, Erie here we come! :laugh: Congrats everyone!

411:
LECOM, or really Millcreek Community Hospital owns a whole bunch of houses in Erie, including most of the ones that you saw on Ellsworth (that's the street that borders the east side of LECOM). They rent them to physicians, residents, & students, in that order. I was told about them by one of my interviewers. After I was accepted, I called LECOM & asked about them. No one in the office had ever heard of such a thing & after they looked into it, they called me back & asked me to rat on the person that told me 'cuz apparently students aren't supposed to know about the rental houses. Call Millcreek. I have a 1000 square foot, 3 bedroom ranch house with a 1000 square foot, unfinished basement, a fenced in back yard, & a garage. All right next to LECOM, for $600 USD/month. Some of these cats have TWO garages for the same price. Call Millcreek, get on the waiting list ASAFP. Don't tell LECOM I sent ya.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just go into LECOM's Lecture pathway a few days ago. I will probably end up going there. I think the school prepares it's students well. I know of a few people who graduated from LECOM and are doing residencies now- they liked it a lot. The only thing I am worried about is the housing. Is it better to live by yourself or with a roomate? Did anyone venture around Erie? I only went around the LECOM area and Peach St and didn't see very many nice apartments or housing. Are their nicer places to socialize in other areas of Erie? I'm from a big city and am used to a lot of stimulation but didn't get this vibe from Erie. I want a good education, which I think LECOM will provide, but I also want to have fun. Anyone know what their is to do for fun? :)

I'm planning on living with one other person but also having one other room as more of a den so it's dedicated to just studying. I'm PBL though, so after the first 12 weeks I'll be spending a lot more time at home. Living alone is alright, but considering I'm going to be home so much, it might be nice to have someone else around so every minute of every study break isn't spent with SDN ;)

I just go into LECOM's Lecture pathway a few days ago. I will probably end up going there. I think the school prepares it's students well. I know of a few people who graduated from LECOM and are doing residencies now- they liked it a lot. The only thing I am worried about is the housing. Is it better to live by yourself or with a roomate? Did anyone venture around Erie? I only went around the LECOM area and Peach St and didn't see very many nice apartments or housing. Are their nicer places to socialize in other areas of Erie? I'm from a big city and am used to a lot of stimulation but didn't get this vibe from Erie. I want a good education, which I think LECOM will provide, but I also want to have fun. Anyone know what their is to do for fun? :)

Congrats on your acceptance. I am currently and LDP student and I like it a lot. I think whether you live by yourself or with a roommate is based on your preference, I know people who are happy with both. (I am married so my opinion is not really relevant.) There are quite a few nice and so so apt complexes, you'll have to take a look around. However, most don't allow dogs (I don't know about cats) so if you have pets, it might be a problem. Lakeview apts/condos are very nice and close, Belle Village is nice but kinda far, Grenada and Mill Glen apts are ok, lots of LECOM students live there but the location is a bit iffy IMO, there are also houses for rent in the area if you find people to go in with you.

As far as stimulation, there's stuff to do, but certainly not as much as in a big city. Peach street has lots of restaurants, there are also some nice local restaurants in Erie (Peach st has mainly chain restaurants). There are bars around, Presque isle is very nice in the warmer days for swimming, biking, running, etc. Plenty of coffee places to study...

Thanks for your reply Lfribble! :) I'm just a bit worried about the living conditions because I've never lived without my family before. I will definately check those apartments out. Is it easy to make new friends at school? When I interviewed everyone seemed really nice. Did you join any organizations? I'm pretty excited about starting my medical career but don't want to be lonely.

Congrats on your acceptance. I am currently and LDP student and I like it a lot. I think whether you live by yourself or with a roommate is based on your preference, I know people who are happy with both. (I am married so my opinion is not really relevant.) There are quite a few nice and so so apt complexes, you'll have to take a look around. However, most don't allow dogs (I don't know about cats) so if you have pets, it might be a problem. Lakeview apts/condos are very nice and close, Belle Village is nice but kinda far, Grenada and Mill Glen apts are ok, lots of LECOM students live there but the location is a bit iffy IMO, there are also houses for rent in the area if you find people to go in with you.

As far as stimulation, there's stuff to do, but certainly not as much as in a big city. Peach street has lots of restaurants, there are also some nice local restaurants in Erie (Peach st has mainly chain restaurants). There are bars around, Presque isle is very nice in the warmer days for swimming, biking, running, etc. Plenty of coffee places to study...

I know its going to be difficult, but I need to find a place that allows cats. Lfribble, what month did you go looking for a place? I know that towards the beginning of school it gets tight so Im thinking of trying to find a place early.

Thanks for your reply Lfribble! :) I'm just a bit worried about the living conditions because I've never lived without my family before. I will definately check those apartments out. Is it easy to make new friends at school? When I interviewed everyone seemed really nice. Did you join any organizations? I'm pretty excited about starting my medical career but don't want to be lonely.

Hey zoey,

Are you set on LECOM or still deciding on other schools? :)

Hi DrA, I am set on LECOM, unless I get into MSCCOM (which is unlikely since most of the class is filled). I wish I could take my cat, but she's older and I don't think she can handle the 4 hour drive. :)

As far as house searching goes, my situation was a little different. I am married and we bought a house. We started looking in March. I know that the nicer, closer places definately get taken earlier and there are waitlists (for lakeview for example).

Making friends is pretty easy. The first 12 weeks everyone is in the lecture hall. LDP students sit in front and PBL and ISP sit in the rear, it's in alphabetical order. So you see the same people over and over again. As more people are set on LECOM, more people will come to this thread, there are a few people I met from talking on here that I am friends with as well. Also, Erie isn't the biggest of places so if you go out to bars and such you'll run into people there as well. I am in several clubs and have some friends in each. I haven't been overly active in any though. So I've met acquantances through the clubs.

Also, LECOM sends out info to sign up for roommates, that's another way to meet friends and they also give you a "big brother/big sister" (a second year who can fill you in on stuff). Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Hi DrA, I am set on LECOM, unless I get into MSCCOM (which is unlikely since most of the class is filled). I wish I could take my cat, but she's older and I don't think she can handle the 4 hour drive. :)

Same here, Im from MI and MSU would be my first choice, but I gave up on them a while ago haha. I know what you mean about the 4 hour drive, but my current cat is staying here with my sister, so I plan to get another one to keep me company during med school. :p

Lfribble thanks for the info. :)

DrA, which part of Michigan are you from? Did you do your undergrad there also?

I was thinking about getting a cat for med school but I am a little bit allergic to cats. :( I read about a siberian cat breed that is supposedly hypoallergenic and looked them up but they are pretty expensive. Do you people with cats know about siberian cats like if they are really hypoallergenic?

Thanks! :)

DrA, which part of Michigan are you from? Did you do your undergrad there also?

Zoey I pmed you.

Edit: my acceptance letter says "LECOM must receive an official transcript from all undergrad, grad, and professional schools.." Does anyone know if that means we all have to send transcripts again, or only if one is currently taking courses that are to be completed before marticulation?

I was thinking about getting a cat for med school but I am a little bit allergic to cats. :( I read about a siberian cat breed that is supposedly hypoallergenic and looked them up but they are pretty expensive. Do you people with cats know about siberian cats like if they are really hypoallergenic?

Thanks! :)

I am not sure if that's true or not, but from what I know allergies are caused by the saliva of cats when they groom themselves and not from the actual fur. The claim is that siberian cats have hypoallergenic fur, but I wouldn't know otherwise.

Hey everyone,

I'm an MSI at LECOM and might be able to give some advice on housing. Just to let you know Landmark Square Apartments allows pets...I think under 35 lbs. You have to pay a deposit in the beginning and an extra 25 bucks a month but if you have a pet it might be worth it to you. My roommate is the one with that cat so that is up to her. I think we plan on moving to someplace different with a little cheaper rent...I mean its not bad overall but for the rent they are charging we could get something a little better. We didnt get this until the summer because people move in and out of these apartment complexes all the time. Don't think that because you get on the waitlist for Lakeview apartments that you are fine and dandy because once they call you you better answer your phone or else they will give it away to someone else. (That happened to me) But overall I'm glad that I ended up here. I like living a little more downtown so I don't feel like I'm sitting right on top of the school all the time..because you WILL spend a lot of your time there. Any other questions...just ask..

I'd like an insiders view of the 3 year Primary Care Scholars track. Is it a killer? What do they leave out to finish in 3 years?

Hey everyone,

I'm an MSI at LECOM and might be able to give some advice on housing. Just to let you know Landmark Square Apartments allows pets...I think under 35 lbs. You have to pay a deposit in the beginning and an extra 25 bucks a month but if you have a pet it might be worth it to you. My roommate is the one with that cat so that is up to her. I think we plan on moving to someplace different with a little cheaper rent...I mean its not bad overall but for the rent they are charging we could get something a little better. We didnt get this until the summer because people move in and out of these apartment complexes all the time. Don't think that because you get on the waitlist for Lakeview apartments that you are fine and dandy because once they call you you better answer your phone or else they will give it away to someone else. (That happened to me) But overall I'm glad that I ended up here. I like living a little more downtown so I don't feel like I'm sitting right on top of the school all the time..because you WILL spend a lot of your time there. Any other questions...just ask..

Lfribble & I actually got roped into heading our class's Note Service through SDN...so we are kind of co-presidents of that, along with our Treasurer. If anyone is interested in the position for their class let us know....:smuggrin:

Lfribble & I actually got roped into heading our class's Note Service through SDN...so we are kind of co-presidents of that, along with our Treasurer. If anyone is interested in the position for their class let us know....:smuggrin:

What types of tasks are you responsible for?

I have a few questions. When should I start looking for an apartment? Also, has anyone received the matriculation packet yet?

Haven't received matriculation packet yet, hoping it comes soon. Can any MS1s remember when they received theirs?

What types of tasks are you responsible for?

There are 3 jobs: treasurer, head scribe, head runner. I'm the head scribe and I'm in charge of people who takes notes for each class, making the schedule, emailing out the notes to the class. Lauren is the head runner and she deals with uploading the powerpoint notes to Office Max everyday and she's in charge of the people who deliver the notes to the lockers everyday. And we both deal with signups every semester. Obviously the treasurer handles the money aspect of it. Those are the general responsibilities, you can ask us for more detail if you're interested. We signed up over the summer due to the 2010 girls being on SDN recruiting, that way our Note Service started right away and there was no delay in anything.

I have a few questions. When should I start looking for an apartment? Also, has anyone received the matriculation packet yet?

I came to Erie and I got a place in April, but I have an 80 pound dog and there are no townhouses/apts really that allow big dogs, so I didn't have much choice so I wanted to make sure I got a place. FYI for anyone who is in a similar situation, the only 2 places I could find were Belle Village (I live here) and Brookwood (right behind me). It takes me about 10-15 mins to get to school taking pine and 38th to peach. Belle Village is really nice, 2BR townhouse with a garage and really big kitchen, the only problem is its a little far. I wouldn't recommend Brookwood personally b/c I had issues with the company, Palermo, and I think they're a bit shady. My friend lives there now and doesn't really like it. There are a ton of kids there, its louder, people are too lazy to park their cars in their garages and walk up a flight of stairs to the living room, so everyone parks on the road which makes it super narrow and ghetto looking.

Do you get paid to do note service?

There are 3 jobs: treasurer, head scribe, head runner. I'm the head scribe and I'm in charge of people who takes notes for each class, making the schedule, emailing out the notes to the class. Lauren is the head runner and she deals with uploading the powerpoint notes to Office Max everyday and she's in charge of the people who deliver the notes to the lockers everyday. And we both deal with signups every semester. Obviously the treasurer handles the money aspect of it. Those are the general responsibilities, you can ask us for more detail if you're interested. We signed up over the summer due to the 2010 girls being on SDN recruiting, that way our Note Service started right away and there was no delay in anything.

Thanks Lisa, I'm not sure if I'm interested yet, but surely I'll let you know.

Do you get paid to do note service?

Oh yeah I forgot that important part haha. Everyone who works for it (the 3 head people and the scribes/runners) gets Note Service for free, as opposed to paying anywhere from $100-$160 per semester for the service. All the money goes to keeping it running, noone gets any sort of monetary compensation.

Oh yeah I forgot that important part haha. Everyone who works for it (the 3 head people and the scribes/runners) gets Note Service for free, as opposed to paying anywhere from $100-$160 per semester for the service. All the money goes to keeping it running, noone gets any sort of monetary compensation.

Thanks for the reply, LisaMD. Would you recommend using this service? It seems like a lot to pay per semester.

Is each student required to pay for the note service?

Thanks for the reply, LisaMD. Would you recommend using this service? It seems like a lot to pay per semester.

Well since I'm in charge of it...of course!! No, but really, I would. If you are going to print out the lectures each day, this will save you time and money- they arrive hole punched in your locker every morning. And the notes from class are good if you miss class or if you want to double check yours...or if you don't pay attention in class!

Is each student required to pay for the note service?

No, but probably 50-75% of our class does.

Haven't received matriculation packet yet, hoping it comes soon. Can any MS1s remember when they received theirs?

I just remembered I still had the big envelope in my desk and I keep a lot of LECOM papers in there. Mine was postmarked 01/26/2007 (and I had gotten accepted I think around 12/15/2006)

Just a thought for those of you who will be looking for places to live later this spring:
When choosing a place, keep this in mind: Erie is VERY windy and Very cold. It's no secret that we get a lot of snow. That said, there are a lot of townhouse complexes and apartment complexes available close to school...and most of these places do the plowing/ shoveling/ salting/ lawncare for you. A HUGE bonus for the med student who does not have much extra time. Also, each apartment/townhouse is usually connected to the next, with two common walls. This does wonders for insulation, and usually helps out tremendously with the heating bills.
So, keep these in mind if you are looking at an actual house or flat instead of an apartment or townhouse. Those two things could save you a lot of time and money. I know of one classmate in a townhouse that has only had to turn on the heat at his place for a few days so far....It's January!! I also have a friend in a small, one story, 2 bedroom house whose heating bills have been in the hundreds of dollars each month all winter.

Hey Everyone! I matriculated to LECOM in December and I'm LDP. I've been looking at apartments in Erie. Does anyone know anything about Laurel Ridge apartments? Also, is anyone else having trouble looking for apartments when you don't even have a roommate yet? It feels kind of backwards.

Can anyone give me any feedback on any of the following places for rent:
royal villa, boston store place, presque view, landmark square, winchester.

i am basically looking for 1bdr for less than 500 with some utilities included if possible. I know some places are way cheaper than others, but they could have problems like bad insulation which will make up the difference in the heat bill. Also, saftey of the area might matter.

any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks

Can anyone give me any feedback on any of the following places for rent:
royal villa, boston store place, presque view, landmark square, winchester.

i am basically looking for 1bdr for less than 500 with some utilities included if possible. I know some places are way cheaper than others, but they could have problems like bad insulation which will make up the difference in the heat bill. Also, saftey of the area might matter.

any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks

PMed you

thanks for the feedback

I have a question. After we pay the 1500 matriculation fee. Should we start filling out the FAFSA application for loan, or should we wait for further instructions from the school? (i.e. matriculation package)

I have a question. After we pay the 1500 matriculation fee. Should we start filling out the FAFSA application for loan, or should we wait for further instructions from the school? (i.e. matriculation package)

I don't think you need to wait for any instructions, they will tell you what you already know. I would start filling it out now...which reminds me that I need to do that myself.:p

DrA, I was wondering if you could please send me the same reply to this question. I am in the same boat. Thank you.

"Can anyone give me any feedback on any of the following places for rent:
royal villa, boston store place, presque view, landmark square, winchester."

Hey guys and girls! Congratulations on your acceptance!

I am currently a second year here and am looking for a roommate for next year. I have a three bedroom house located about 5 minutes from school. One of the bedrooms is converted into an office for good study time :rolleyes:.

I have all the necessities - washer, dryer, patio furniture, fridge, stove, microwave, leather couch, lcd tv, playstation 2, Guitar Hero, etc. etc. The only thing I'm lacking is a table/chairs and a toaster. Plus you'll have me and all my infinite knowledge about the inner workings of LECOM. Oh, and all my books, notes, study guides, etc.

So if you are interested - and you own a toaster, please pm me! I can take pictures and let you know whatever you want to know (price, location, etc.)

Thanks.

I recieved my matriculation packet today yay :)