LECOM Erie Class of 2012 Thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SO I've been reading over everyone's posts and just want to say congrats! You made it! It's all uphill from here. but it is so worth it.

Some tips from what I've seen:

1) I'm married and bought a house, like lfribble. I became a scribe for LisaMD for the first semester, because I went into PCSP pathway, it was VERY worth it. I did some work and shared the burden with the whole class, and got notes in exchange, the only downside, with family I was often late causing my dear friend LisaMD much stress. So, please, if you're going to do it, realize that the Subscribers are waiting on you.

2)Living: If you plan on sticking around, the rates are awesome, buy a condo or something. Across the street from LECOM as we speak they are building a complex of apartments, It looks as though they will be done by next fall, at least some of them, I'll see if I can get some info and put it up, but they are a stones throw away. The houses on Ellsworth(for those with families) are great, I have several friends who live in them, they are only 2 stones throws away. Roomates are a great and CHEAPER and if you can risk living with someone you may not love in the end for 1 semester to get yourself situated, you save cash and learn one of those grown up lessons you hear so much about.

3)FASFA: Get your taxes and FASFA done ASAP. It's just easier. You wont get any grant moneys, etc, but getting it in order, sooner than later means you get get the plethera of documents you need done with LECOM AFTER you get your FASFA finalized happen sooner.

4)Make sure you get all your shots, etc etc. Start them earlier so you can be done sooner, I'm still having to do one more series, because I waited a bit, and once you're here, it becomes a hassle because they are on top of it, and you have to take time to get it done.

5)If you have any q's ask us! we OMS1's are generally herbavors when it comes to eating others, so people like me, lfribble, LisaMD and some of the other OMS1's will be happy to help, but there's not much you need to do after figuring out housing, FASFA, shots, and the papers you need to sign for LECOM. the fun starts the end of July. Get hear 2 weeks early so you have time to explore and learn where food is found, laundry, beaches, etc etc. I week gives you enough time to unpack, forage and get into school.

Anyway, hope these help. Again, I'm PCSP, and it's similar to ISP, but I get out a year early!! if you have questions let us know, we're friendly folk here.

PS if you have ANY questions about your apps and stuff just keep calling or email'n so you can get them resolved. Our Applications office has a lot to do, so give them a break and just keep trying, they are great people.

Keithengineer

Members don't see this ad.

I had someone email me about this, So I'd though to add it here.

you don't get your checks for financial aide(the money you get from your loans) until 2 weeks AFTER school starts. So you need to plan for that. have some money set aside, and you'll have about a week to track down books, since orientation they mix classes and info.

FASFAs and Loans

As soon as you get your FASFA done, and after LECOM has processed it, they will invite you to their online acceptance forms. There you will specify what you want to take, and where it will come from. And from there, each type of loan needs to be signed for. I made the mistake of missing a signature on one, so It took an extra month. But it happens. They will guide you through it, but remember, all the checks come two weeks AFTER school. try and build a budget before hand so you can make a good estimate of what you need to borrow. If you are not sure, take it all, but try to budget and not use it all because you can give it back or budget less for the next year.

Hope it helps.

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to say congrats to everyone accepted. I recieved my matriculation packet and I'm disappointed to see that they didn't include a list of people interested in finding roommates for next year. Is anyone else in that boat? Does anyone know when previous classes have recieved this information or have suggestions about finding a roommate? I'm on a few waitlists for apartments but I feel like this is pointless since I don't even have a roommate yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone, I just wanted to say congrats to everyone accepted. I recieved my matriculation packet and I'm disappointed to see that they didn't include a list of people interested in finding roommates for next year. Is anyone else in that boat? Does anyone know when previous classes have recieved this information or have suggestions about finding a roommate? I'm on a few waitlists for apartments but I feel like this is pointless since I don't even have a roommate yet.

I think I read somewhere that the roommate list is mailed sometime in April (I believe it was on the sheet where you include yourself on the list?). No need to worry just yet, there is still time to find a roommate. I know some first and second years are looking for roommates on facebook and such, so maybe you want to search there for now.

DrA Thanks for your reply. I have a facebook account but I don't know how I would do a search like that, can you help me? haha sorry obviously i'm a facebook idiot.

DrA Thanks for your reply. I have a facebook account but I don't know how I would do a search like that, can you help me? haha sorry obviously i'm a facebook idiot.

Hehe I'm not much of a facebook person myself, but do a search in the search box and type something like "LECOM class 2011" where you can find the LECOM groups and see if anyone maybe from the pervious class is looking for a roommate. The 2012 group doesn't have many members but you may also post a request there. The SDN housing forum is sometimes helpful as well, so check it out. :luck:

Thanks DrA! That helped a lot!

After filling out the fafsa, does anyone know how long it takes the school to send the financial aid package?!

After filling out the fafsa, does anyone know how long it takes the school to send the financial aid package?!

If you've confirmed your SARS, they look over it and review, punch in some numbers, and send you package, it takes a few weeks, but you'll have plenty of time to get it done. Try to plan without it, know you will be able to get up to the max 50K or so, and tuition and other things are pretty much set, so work on a budget from that.

Good luck!

Hello everyone! Just got my acceptance letter :) Accepted into LDP but want to do PCSP. Anyone know how the get the application??

Try to plan without it, know you will be able to get up to the max 50K or so, and tuition and other things are pretty much set, so work on a budget from that.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply. what do you mean by 'try to plan without it.' won't 50K be enough for both living and tuition expenses?!

should I start seeking other lenders?

Hey guys. I was just wondering if any of you accepted students could post your stats. If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate it. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Congrats on getting in everyone!

thanks for the reply. what do you mean by 'try to plan without it.' won't 50K be enough for both living and tuition expenses?!

should I start seeking other lenders?

I would wait, if I were you. Every student I hang with is making it on the 50K budget. half is for tuition and the rest is expences. If you have a family, like myself, it's crunched, but many of my single friends are doing quite well. It all depends on what's in your budget, if you've never done that before, find someone who can teach you the basics! HEre at SDN there are a few articles I think. this is stil like 20K a year to live on, and it is do able. Some of my compatriots are even doing summer medical missions on that budget, and you get to work your summers if you wish. There are opportunities to make a couple extra $K for that time period.

Hello everyone! Just got my acceptance letter :) Accepted into LDP but want to do PCSP. Anyone know how the get the application??

If PCSP was your first or second choice on your selection, they know it. Call the school and contact Tara Elton, if you are not sure. She is the PCSP secretary. The PCSP admins will be contacting everyone on the list so far soon, from what I've heard, and letting everyone know. Because PCSP is a select group, selections wont be made until near the end of your 3rd month into med school. they want to get to know you, see your study/grade habits and see your performance. You will be advised by one of the directors during your time here so they can get to know you.

So far, no one has been admited to the pathway for the next year, you are all auditioning. Otherwise, you will be LDP, that's what your acceptance letter means :) (if PCSP was 1st or second choice that is)

I'm not sure when they will send out apps for it. And there is another one.

Good luck!!

Keithengineer, LECOM PCSP 2010 (1st PCSP class)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait, if I were you. Every student I hang with is making it on the 50K budget. half is for tuition and the rest is expences. If you have a family, like myself, it's crunched, but many of my single friends are doing quite well. It all depends on what's in your budget, if you've never done that before, find someone who can teach you the basics! HEre at SDN there are a few articles I think. this is stil like 20K a year to live on, and it is do able. Some of my compatriots are even doing summer medical missions on that budget, and you get to work your summers if you wish. There are opportunities to make a couple extra $K for that time period.

If PCSP was your first or second choice on your selection, they know it. Call the school and contact Tara Elton, if you are not sure. She is the PCSP secretary. The PCSP admins will be contacting everyone on the list so far soon, from what I've heard, and letting everyone know. Because PCSP is a select group, selections wont be made until near the end of your 3rd month into med school. they want to get to know you, see your study/grade habits and see your performance. You will be advised by one of the directors during your time here so they can get to know you.

So far, no one has been admited to the pathway for the next year, you are all auditioning. Otherwise, you will be LDP, that's what your acceptance letter means :) (if PCSP was 1st or second choice that is)

I'm not sure when they will send out apps for it. And there is another one.

Good luck!!

Keithengineer, LECOM PCSP 2010 (1st PCSP class)
Thanks!! My first choice was PCSP and second ISP. I sure hope I get into PCSP because I would rather not do LDP.

hey everyone! join the lecom-erie 2012 facebook group!!

has anyone recieved the financial aid package from the school yet?!

Hello All,

I've been accepted into LECOM's class of 2012 (PBL). I've been living in Philly for just under six years but am originally from Erie. In fact, my parent's house is less than 2 miles from LECOM's front door.

I wanted to let everyone know that I am available to contact with any questions about life in Erie, LECOM or anything else. While it is my hometown, I think I've been away long enough to be objective....

I look forward to seeing you all soon,

~Tyler

When did you guys interview at LECOM?

Mid October.

I interviewed at the end of October.

Are any current students or 2012 people staying on your parents health insurance and if so did you have to submit something to the school???

Thanks!!

I interviewed mid-october and was accepted early november. I have my own personal health insurance. Why can't I keep that?? There's is way more expensive!!

You can always see what they will do. Bring a copy of your insurance coverage and cards and stuff and talk to Melissa watkins. I opted out atfter 1 semester due to being covered by medicaid with my family.

I interviewed mid-october and was accepted early november. I have my own personal health insurance. Why can't I keep that?? There's is way more expensive!!

I'm not sure when the list is coming out either, but i'm also looking for a roommate as I don't really want to be alone all the time haha and it saves so much money.

Hello All,

I've been accepted into LECOM's class of 2012 (PBL). I've been living in Philly for just under six years but am originally from Erie. In fact, my parent's house is less than 2 miles from LECOM's front door.

I wanted to let everyone know that I am available to contact with any questions about life in Erie, LECOM or anything else. While it is my hometown, I think I've been away long enough to be objective....

~Tyler
Hey I was accepted in to PBL as well...I'm fairly nervous about it because it's going to be something so new, and obviously there aren't as much PBLers so I mostly hear about it's negatives from the LDP's.

I need help with what area would be best to live in.

Hi all, I have a question about the matriculation checklist due on March 15th (Sorry if this was asked before, I didn't read through everything).

Do we have to send our transcripts to LECOM again? Don't they have them from the primary application???

Thank you!

Also, has everyone turned their's in already? I have been so busy and still need to get it in.

Hi all, I have a question about the matriculation checklist due on March 15th (Sorry if this was asked before, I didn't read through everything).

Do we have to send our transcripts to LECOM again? Don't they have them from the primary application???

Thank you!

Also, has everyone turned their's in already? I have been so busy and still need to get it in.

You have to resend the transcripts. The schools are not given the actual transcript, only a printout from aacomas. Also, the grades are due by July 1st and not by March 15th. Hope that helps.

You have to resend the transcripts. The schools are not given the actual transcript, only a printout from aacomas. Also, the grades are due by July 1st and not by March 15th. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much!

Thank you!

I haven't turned anything in. I have everything completed except the background check. My checklist sheet says everything (except transcripts) is due on April 30. I'll turn in transcripts after I complete a course in 8 weeks.

Thank you!

I sent mine a while ago, I just need to send updates on my hep B shots as they come and I also haven't mailed transcripts yet. If you need an extension, you should let them know.

Welcome everyone, I'm a 3rd year and I know that they are not sending out housing lists anymore so I thought I'd slip this one in here.

3brd house off of e 38th street, built only 3 years ago (a week before we moved in) 1000 sq feet, huge basement, washer and dryer hookup, 3 car driveway.

700+

Its served us well and I highly recommend it. Its a good neighborhood and a great landlord.

email me if your interested,
[email protected]\

Available July 1st, landlord would probably wait if he finds the right people early enough.

jim

Just be aware, you should make copies of EVERYTHING you need to send in. There are a couple hundred of your and things have gotten lost in the past. So, make your own copies, and bring them orientation week so you will have it on hand if need be. IT happens. So, all your transcripts, get an extra copy, easier to have one anyway if you're moving away from the school. Have copies of the physician report, the lab results, etc etc....you need to be able to have them in case it will be lost by mail or office.

Anyway, get geared up! Here comes Med school, only a couple months away!

PCSP forever!!

Does anyone know if they will grant extensions on the matriculation packet? Do they take away your spot if everything is not in on time?

I have a question about the immunization records...my parents moved a few times when I was young and the only records we had of my shots were lost in a fire a few years ago. I've come up with most of my records but I don't have anything on the polio shots. My PCP wasn't sure what to do and the form wasn't clear on that since there isn't a tilter for it. Anyone else have this problem or know what to do?? Thanks!
PS--19 weeks until we start MEDICAL SCHOOL! :)

Hey you guys, I'm planning on going on a eurotrip this summer and I thought it would be fun if a bunch of people from our class went! Is anyone interested???

I have a question about the immunization records...my parents moved a few times when I was young and the only records we had of my shots were lost in a fire a few years ago. I've come up with most of my records but I don't have anything on the polio shots. My PCP wasn't sure what to do and the form wasn't clear on that since there isn't a tilter for it. Anyone else have this problem or know what to do?? Thanks!

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but :scared: :eek: and :D to the bolded part.

Hey! Does anyone know when we get breaks and for how long they are? (Thanksgiving, winter, spring?) Also, does anyone know when classes typically end for the summer? Thanks! :)

Call the school and talk to Melissa Watkins. She may speak to one of the docs who make sure this happens. There is an adult vacc schedule, and it's possible to redo the ones that you can't titer. You can titer most things though. Talk to the school though, they are holding all this info for them as well as the hospitals you will rotate in.

Call the school and talk to Melissa Watkins. She may speak to one of the docs who make sure this happens. There is an adult vacc schedule, and it's possible to redo the ones that you can't titer. You can titer most things though. Talk to the school though, they are holding all this info for them as well as the hospitals you will rotate in.

Thank you!

I had the same problem. I called Melissa Watkins and she told me not to worry about it, and that I don't need to be revaccinated. The bold print on that form scared me though!!

Hey! Does anyone know when we get breaks and for how long they are? (Thanksgiving, winter, spring?) Also, does anyone know when classes typically end for the summer? Thanks! :)

Thanksgiving break was....I think a week?? It seems so long ago.

Christmas we had 2 weeks

Spring break: NONE! :mad:

LDP has an Easter break. We have off tomorrow, and Monday we have an afternoon lecture. And we get out around May 22ish.

Hello All,

~Tyler

what's there to do for fun in Erie? I drove by the campus again after I was accepted, and it was a really gloomy/depressing day. Alittle discouraging, but oh well. How is the nightlife, etc?

Thanks!

I was wondering what everyone's impressions were of PCOM as they visited the school. What most did you like about it? I'm trying to write a LOI and I need more than the few things that I came up with. Thanks

Hi All!

I'm starting LECOM this summer in the ISP pathway.

For undergrad I went to a commuter school in New York . . . always lived at home (no roommate experience).

I would like to room with someone from LECOM.

I'm 24, F, non-smoker, on the clean freak side, not big on TV, I can't study with music (like quiet studying). I get along with most people. I might have my dog come visit me once in the blue moon with the family (small).

I would be able to visit Erie after I quit my job in May to check out some places to live. I don't drive yet (in the process of getting a license-I got to drive on a highway today which was lots of fun! . . . I live in manhattan = great public transportation system)

PM me if you'e a:
-non-smoker
-on the clean freak side
-not a huge party person, MATURE
-want to LOOK INTO renting either a house or apt (whatever the better deal is) not too far from LECOM (5-10min) that's located in a good area.
-cool nerd

BEST WISHES TO ALL

Hey you guys, I'm planning on going on a eurotrip this summer and I thought it would be fun if a bunch of people from our class went! Is anyone interested???

So wish I could go! :(

Hey student doctors!

Congrats on acceptance to LECOM, I am a 4th year moving for residency-house for sale close to lecom (a few blocks) 3bd 21/2 bath perfect for families that are coming to the area. Just wanted to post if anyone is interested. Contact me if you are interested!

Relax for the next few months and enjoy your free time!!! It gets easier as you go!!